Not a good idea to be a spiteful, petty, jerk right before a critical negotiation.

by ATinNM on Thu Jan 21st, 2021 at 05:22:02 PM EST
Shorter The Times: How dare you take back control of your borders?

British to face ban on entering EU under German plan to shut borders - The Times

(Reuters) - European governments would be allowed to ban all UK residents from entering their countries and cut all passenger transport links with Britain under a German proposal to the European Union, the Times reported on Thursday.

EU member states are free to impose temporary bans on entry and on transporting passengers entering from non-EU countries with virus variant areas, the Times reported, citing a draft proposal reviewed by the newspaper.

by Bernard on Thu Jan 21st, 2021 at 05:44:41 PM EST
Shorter tabloids: How dare you remove the bust of Churchill from the Oval Office?

Reaction to Churchill bust removal muted for Biden after outrage for Obama - CNN

It had once been a transatlantic art scandal -- or at least various actors of questionable intent would have you believe it was.
Overheated, confusing and laden in the end with blatant racism, the case of the White House bust of Winston Churchill still persists.
President Joe Biden has removed it from the Oval Office after four years standing sentry under his predecessor, who thought he looked something like the wartime prime minister.

An Oval Office redesign brought in new busts instead: Latino civil rights leader Cesar Chavez, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Robert F. Kennedy, Rosa Parks and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Some British tabloids deemed it a snub. The US Embassy in London put out a video Friday morning underscoring the special relationship between the US and the UK -- emphasizing that it is not about a piece of sculpture.

Four years ago...

by Bernard on Fri Jan 22nd, 2021 at 07:24:19 PM EST
How about replacing it with a bust of Parnell?
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Fri Jan 22nd, 2021 at 07:26:16 PM EST
According to Nile Gardiner, Churchill saved the free world and is a huge hero on both sides of the Atlantic.

Looking at it from this side of the pond I think I can safely say that there are not many Americans who would agree that Churchill did much saving of anything. Eisenhower, maybe, or MacArthur.

by asdf on Sun Jan 24th, 2021 at 05:53:03 PM EST
British Victory in WWII

"History will be kind to me as I intend to write it myself."
[Quote Winston Churchill]

The role of Roosevelt to end colonialism and direct call on Churchill te end the British Empire.

The United Nations and Decolonization - The The Atlantic Charter of August 1941

Churchill at the White House | The Atlantic |

"After my husband's death, I was lunching one day with Mr. and Mrs. Churchill at their home in London, and sitting by me, he suddenly turned to me and said, 'You never have really approved of me, have you?'"

Franklin Roosevelt: "That Hell-hole of Yours"

by Oui on Sun Jan 24th, 2021 at 08:07:50 PM EST