Friday afternoon open thread (with caption competition!)

by Colman Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 12:44:09 PM EST

It's been a long week for me - I returned from Paris on Tuesday to utter chaos after a trip that included dinner with Jérôme and his much more lovely and charming wife. Which leads us to the caption competition after the fold...

How was your week?

That would be me on the left and Dear Leader on the right. Don't we look like we're having fun?

More to the point, how's the weather?

Hundreds trapped in moor blizzard
Helicopter rescue teams stand by as about 500 vehicles are stuck in heavy snow near Bodmin Moor, in Cornwall. [BBC News]
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:04:31 PM EST
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:05:53 PM EST
I had a week I would have fitted in neatly on that picture...

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:12:44 PM EST
If you're not familiar with Arthur Silber, you should be. He's a libertarian blogger - which means I disagree with him on many things - but his writing his wonderful and his disdain for the current US administration is a delight.

The Ignorant Liars at the WSJ -- Paving the Path to Dictatorship

If the United States should finally descend into dictatorship in another decade or two, historians should remember the propaganda role played by editorial pages like that of The Wall Street Journal.  The WSJ's general approach is profoundly sickening for the reason Bush and his acolytes are often so repellent: they seek to destroy America in the name of saving it.

I discussed the significance of the Padilla case and this week's indictment a few days ago.  Let's briefly remember the key aspects of this battle over individual rights.  Jose Padilla is an American citizen.  The government held him for more than three years, and during much of that time he had no access to a lawyer.  The government held him as an "enemy combatant."  He was an "enemy combatant" simply because the president said he was.  The government never offered any evidence to support its claim, nor did it believe it was obliged to.  Before this week, the government never charged him with even a single crime.

[Once Upon a Time...]

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:13:45 PM EST
Arthur Silber promotion seconded.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:27:21 PM EST
Slow motion quiz: in the next split second, which of these 2 men will become aware that the other one has just farted?
by Alex in Toulouse on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:15:02 PM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:26:17 PM EST
n/t
by jandsm on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 02:37:29 PM EST
Not sure, but there was a certain amusement value in her looking down on us given that we'd met via dKos and Billmon.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:26:14 PM EST
Colman: This wine tastes like it was a 100 dollars a barrel......

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:43:49 PM EST
That's less than two bucks a litre - it has to taste like crude at that price :-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 04:25:15 PM EST
Actually, that would be half a buck per liter. Oil is still much cheaper than milk...

(1 barrel= 42 gal = 160 litres)

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:41:08 PM EST
No wonder you're a banker!

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:43:16 PM EST
If Jérôme was the photographer and I could share the table with his lovely partner.

«« click on pic to enlarge

Impression of my first visit to Paris, enter the city center after 11 pm and you once again end up in a traffic congestion of Paris Nightlife - very exciting, lots of joy, good food and busy, busy Parisiens always in a hustle.

"Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason."

▼ ▼ ▼ MY DIARY

'Sapere aude'

by Oui (Oui) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:55:25 PM EST
Jerome: "Oil $100.00 a barrel by next Monday, I swear"

Colman: "As long as it doesn't effect wine prices..."

by whataboutbob on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 02:18:42 PM EST
Was this the first Paris ET meet-up, by the way? When is the next one? (April in Paris?)

by whataboutbob on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 02:41:38 PM EST
I hope that 3 rating was an accident ....
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:36:10 PM EST
I have to say some congratulations are in order for margouillat and his most amazing tip jar!

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 03:42:25 PM EST
I'll say one thing, Colman also has a "much more lovely and charming wife"... and I am grateful to both our wifes for being so tolerant of our conversation, despite it being not exclusively about the European Tribune...

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 03:45:27 PM EST
I thought we were quite well-behaved in fact. It can't have been Eurotrib related or involved in-jokes for more than 90% of the time.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:15:25 PM EST
Ah...it had to be 91% at least!  But then again...we did talk 'Accountancy' and 'Tax' too...so I guess that was another 7%!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
by Sam on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:23:26 PM EST
Yes dear.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:26:36 PM EST
How on earth did Colman convince you to join ET? I need some of the same with Ingrid...

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:35:44 PM EST
A toast to tolerant wives! (Cheers!!)

by whataboutbob on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:57:54 PM EST
Eh, eh... I'll settle for some good wine, but with a warmer weather... I'm more of a "marmotte" in winter ! :-)

Thanks' for the appreciation :-)

"What can I do, What can I write, Against the fall of Night". A.E. Housman

by margouillat (hemidactylus(dot)frenatus(at)wanadoo(dot)fr) on Sat Nov 26th, 2005 at 06:52:39 AM EST
Indian yoga (after many years of training):

French yoga (after only a few hours of draining):

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:38:26 PM EST

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 25th, 2005 at 05:45:54 PM EST
Hmmm...saw this a few weeks ago...in my emails the 2nd photo was described as 'Irish Yoga'...I'm seeing a connection here...
Must be the 'love' of food...the love of the alcoholic beverage really couldn't be the common factor...

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde