Tue Jun 21st, 2005 at 01:40:38 AM EST
MEDIA TRACKING TO BRING END TO WAR IN IRAQ
Dear EuroTribune Readers,
I need your help with US media tracking on some very important issues:
1. RAF Bombing to Goad Saddam Into War.
This was first reported to dKos by Welshman on the 29th of May. That was Michael Smith.
Today we have another article on the same subject by Norton Taylor RAF bombing raids on Iraq no-fly zone defied Foreign Office legal advice, say Lib Dems .
It has been 30 days and this story has NEVER been reported in the US media. (I do mean mainstream, and not blogs, and not alternative news like Alternet, Common Dreams, or Iraq Occupation Watch.
2. The operative term to articles to track US media is "illegal""war""Iraq" in that order. Google your little hearts out and try to find US media coverage of the story of the day. If you get tired of looking, try contrasting UK articles on the same terms. You could try, if you're really ambitious from May 1, 2005, when the Downing Street Minutes were first published in the UK Sunday Times.
3. I need articles, especially op-eds from US mainstream media in three categories:
PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT
- Top Notch -- This would be Bob Herbert's Truth & Deceit"
- Middle of the Road -- These would be articles that say, "We knew the war was illegal, so what?" "Is there any substance to the allegations contained in the Downing Street Minutes?" along those lines.
- Outrageous Bushthink. This would be Dana Milbank's June 17, Democrats Play House to Rally Against War."
To break through media blackout. To bring the news to the US, (via the UK, if necessary) To counterattack falsehood with fact, to expose the illegal war as it was developing and reported in the US. Ultimately the goal of this project is to bring a speedy end to the war in Iraq through the public becoming more aware of the insidious origins of the illegal war of aggression against Iraq.
Pick a target area, and dates to work within (Google lets you search between certain dates) when you get your list, find US sources for stories, then a list of UK stories.
For op-eds bring them right back here.
E MAIL ME YOUR LISTS, PLEASE.
An idea of how this media blackout has been working is given in the following diary:
DEARLOVE'S BRIEFING By Booman23.
"The reason the New York Times and the Washington Post don't want to investigate the DSM leaks is because they were fully complicit in 'fixing' the intelligence."
Dearlove's Briefing, Booman23; June 18, 2005.
Once to Every Man and Nation
Comes the moment to decide,
In the strife of truth with falsehood,
for the good or evil side;
Some great cause, some great decision,
offering each the bloom or blight,
And the choice goes by forever,
'twixt that darkness and that light.
Then to side with truth is noble,
when we share her wretched crust,
Ere her cause bring fame and profit,
and 'tis prosperous to be just;
Then it is the brave man chooses
while the coward stands aside,
Till the multitude make virtue
of the faith they had denied.
Though the cause of evil prosper,
yet the truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold,
and upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future,
and behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow,
keeping watch above His own.
-- James R. Lowell
Published on December 11, 1845
in protest of America's war against Mexico
Thanks to DulceDecorum who gave me courage when I was worn out.