Thursday Bridge blogging

by PeWi Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:56:54 PM EST

Promoted from the diaries ~ whataboutbob

As there was some demand for it last week, I offer you a new bridge:

Although this bridge is only about 30km from where I was born, I never actually visited it. I have to admit in my shame. But what is so special about this bridge?

It is the highest Germany Railway bridge. Highest, because although it is small than the Cologne cathedral it is higher than the Statue of Liberty .

But it is also an engeneering feast from the time, when the Eifel tower was being build and the prater in Vienna.

here is another picture from its construction time.

Thanks to this chap and if you are interested to read more about the bridge, I recommend you pay his site a visit.

and here the facts:
Build in 1897 by Anton Rieppel and MAN.
Length 480m,
Heigth 107,
Iron 4.734 t
Cast iron 125 t
Welded cast steel 79 t
Martin-steel 36 t
Lead 0,1 t
Screws 1,1 t
Wroughtiron 3,2 t
total weight 4.944 t

silly comparisons:
with 0.1% of the weight of the pyramids but 73% of their height, the bridge could have been build accross the Mediteranean Sea with a lenght of 500km, if they had used the same weight as the pyramids.

Apparently at its inauguration, they drank one beer for each metal beam. Well that might be a rumour...

I promise, after doing this research, I will go there when I next visit my brother who only lives 10 miles away from the
Müngstener Brücke

Yes! More Bridge blogging, thank you. Curious...are you a bridge engineer, or how did you acquire this interesting interest?

by whataboutbob on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:24:25 AM EST
whataboutbob, no I am not - I just like bridges, their aestetic, their symbolism, I think, mostly their symbolism. That is the reason, why I blog them here.

But I also admire their architectural graze. The one that I will be blogging about next week f.e. is just pure architectural madness and ingenuity.

by PeWi on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:04:47 PM EST

This is the most spectacular viaduct on the network of the Swiss narrow gauge railway Rhätische Bahn. I visited it 11 years ago (but thisd is not my photo :-).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:36:44 AM EST
Swiss train in a snowstorm...

perhaps re-check the html on that...I'd like to se what you posted!!

by whataboutbob on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:41:25 AM EST
???

It appears alright on my browser... maybe bandwidth problems for you?

Here is a picture of the same bridge from a site that may be faster:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:54:15 AM EST
got it...must be bandwidth

by whataboutbob on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:13:10 PM EST
No, it must be something stranger - now at home, same browser and similarly high bandwidth, but I don't see it either!

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 02:32:37 PM EST
I give links to two more spectacular photos of this bridge (the first which fails to appear):

Wider view from same point as above, in snow from the other valley side, from above.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 02:54:56 PM EST
Staying with the Rhätische Bahn (and low-bandwith photos), the one below is close to the Italian border (and I would like to visit it someday, know it only from photos):

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 11:58:09 AM EST
Oh, I love this bridge. Not enough space and the strech would be to steep. hmm, what shall we do?

Thanks!

having said that what is the difference between a bridge and viaduct?

by PeWi on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:08:34 PM EST
Both beautiful...Brusio is in Switzerland? I keep discovering new little places to check out in this little country...

by whataboutbob on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:15:29 PM EST
I can post pictures of several more railway bridges in Switzerland :-)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 02:33:55 PM EST

This bridge is on the line across the Furka pass, which was disused two decades ago when a tunnel opened, but later rebuilt for museum trains.

This area is covered in deep snow in winter, for that reason the railway traffic ended and surface elements were dismantled every autumn and rebuilt every spring. This bridge (which is as steep as it appears!) is foldable: see picture below!

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 02:42:35 PM EST
Staying in Switzerland, this is probably one of its most famous bridges.

by Fran on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 01:26:07 PM EST
A nice bridge! I walked across it when it was freshly restaurated after the fire. I wonder how it was before.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 02:31:39 PM EST
Thanks so much for front-paging this.  I saw the title and thought it was about the card game in which I have zero interest (sorry, aficianados).  I would have missed seeing these beautiful structures.  I grew up near a bridge, a plain, unlovely thing unlike these spectacular ones, and I do think they have a kind of magic about them.  Please keep on bridge blogging.
by msdove on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 01:35:24 PM EST
Will do, next week is planned already...
by PeWi on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 04:46:28 PM EST
we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

by whataboutbob on Thu Aug 25th, 2005 at 04:16:53 PM EST
Just water under the bridge...

My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention. -- Hedley Lamarr.
by Angry Blue Planet (jrclio@aol.com) on Fri Aug 26th, 2005 at 12:13:29 AM EST