THURSDAY Bridge blogging

by PeWi Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 11:44:02 AM EST

A weekly favorite from the diaries ~ site gnomes

Well, it is Thursday again, so it must be time for...Bridge blogging!!!

As you might have noticed, so far there has been nobody on the bridges I brought to your attention. Well, this changes this week. Here are the earlier Bridge Blogs:

Bridge of Alcántara (Sept 8th)

Tyne Swing Bridge(Sept 1st)

Muengstener Bruecke (Aug 25th)

Mostar Bridge (Aug 18th)

O.K so this week is: activities on bridges. I think it is a good activity to demonstrate on bridges (-:

Any other good activities on bridges pictures?

here is another picture of the brooklyn bridge as bonus

and its vital statisitcs:
Name:               Brooklyn Bridge
Location:           New York
Country:             USA
Constructiontyp:     Hanging bridge
completion date:     1883
MAn in charge:             Johann August Roebling,
Washington Roebling
Traffic (today):     Cars
Material:             Stone and Steel
Overall length:     1,07 KM
widest span:        486 M
hight above water:     85 M

by PeWi on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:37:47 AM EST
I'll have to see if I can track it down, but in 1987 there was the 50th anniversary of the Golden Gate bridge, which they opened to pedestrians only for 3 hours in the morning...but, oops, 850,000 people showed up...so it stayed pedestrian for awhile longer. What was amazing was that the weight of that many people actually changed the shape of the bridge, which I think worried the engineers...great fun was had, however!

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 11:53:12 AM EST
I found a picture of the sagging Golden Gate Bridge (courtesy of http://www.sonic.net/~playland/ggbridge.html)...sorry its not too clear:

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:19:54 PM EST
...it wasn't a demonstration, but it was a LOT of people. Two people actually dragged abed out onto the middle and had mimosa's in bed with 850,000...you gotta love SF!

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:22:12 PM EST
I'll buy it! How much?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:31:39 PM EST
For you...a special deal!! 20 bucks!!

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:38:41 PM EST
lol
by PeWi on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:42:57 PM EST
And PeWi, he mentioned your bridge blogging series...and of course, wouldn't you know it, everyone is now posting bridge photos there (wah!!):

there's some good stuff. You may have to syndicate!

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:41:11 PM EST
Hey PeWi, head over to Dkos and you could upload a ton of great bridge photos, for future use...seriously, lots of good material there right now.

by whataboutbob on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:48:16 PM EST
Thanks whataboutbob, it is a nice feeling to have this exposure,

and you are right there are some fantastic pictures there. I particularly like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge picture - uuh my morbidiy coming through here...

by PeWi on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 01:05:40 PM EST
As the commenter on kos's site, i can remember watching that clip , also the bridges that collapsed during the SF earth quakes.

Bridges can be scary places. I know off one incident were people have been blown off perfectly stable bridges, while they were cycling on them. (well only one case, a road racer in the 1920ies, riding accross the newly finished motorway Heidelberg to Manheim to practice. He was to fast down a hill and a gust just grabed him and blew him down.

by PeWi on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 01:21:58 PM EST
I couldn't remember my dailykos password (huh!), so here is a quick reply to something Jérôme posted, quoting wikipedia. The claim was that the Wheeling bridge (first opened 1849, rebuilt after collapse five years later) is the oldest vehicular traffic suspension bridge still in use. I recalled something about a French bridge being that; so far I found this:

Séguin's Tain-Tournon Bridge, a double suspension span over the Rhône, completed in 1825. Its 1847 replacement still stands, probably the oldest wire-cable suspension bridge in the world, with its carefully replicated wooden stiffening truss and deck. Several of Séguin's first-generation wire-cable suspension bridges, dating from the 1830s, remain over the Rhône at Andance and Fourques, but the decks have been replaced with steel.

Same source, tough I don't know whether vehicles still use this one:

The oldest suspension bridge extant today is the Union Bridge over the River Tweed at Berwick (UK), a chain-link bridge designed and erected by Captain Samuel Brown in 1820, with a span of 449ft (137m).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 03:44:14 PM EST
The new pedestrian Millenium Bridge in London suffered from a similar problem to Tacoma. People walking across in numbers set up a sympathetic resonance that made people walk in step. That set up a feedback that caused the whole bridge to wobble.

After a couple of year's repairs the bridge reopened sans wobble but you can still see it at:

by Londonbear on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 02:49:18 PM EST

Sorry for mad quality. In the old (pre-Bosnian-war) times, boys would jump off the bridge three-four at a time if (Western) tourists paid them, which happened like every hour. I don't know whether the tradition still lives (and whether it is safe to jump into the river again).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 03:18:48 PM EST

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 03:46:21 PM EST
Thanks for remind us, DoDo, as you know I love that bridge. How could I forget such an obvious activity.
by PeWi on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:26:17 PM EST
DoDO, I think you may have answered your own question. Your second picture looks like it was from the ceremony re-opening the bridge after its reconstruction as theis BBC report from 2004 refers.
by Londonbear on Thu Sep 15th, 2005 at 05:17:48 PM EST
I know it's a bit late, but...

Forth Railway bridge in Scotland.  December 2001.  My wife in the foreground and a train on the bridge (that counts as an activity, right).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get busy livin'... or get busy dyin'...

by Captain Doug on Fri Sep 16th, 2005 at 01:44:57 AM EST
You're never too late for bridge blogging!

Nice pic.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Sep 16th, 2005 at 07:06:08 AM EST
My favourite bridge...

I's really time to find a good scanner, so that I can post my own photos of it in a spectacular sunset (made on film).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Sep 16th, 2005 at 08:17:20 AM EST
No, it is never to late (-:
by PeWi on Sun Sep 18th, 2005 at 07:36:06 AM EST