(Friday) Bridge Blogging

by PeWi Sat Oct 1st, 2005 at 06:18:52 AM EST

From the diaries ~ whataboutbob. Bumped by Jerome. This disappeared way too quickly yesterday.

Or TBB as it is called among the initiated - which you are now.

This week I present to you the transporter bridge in Middlesbrough. Even though I don't live too far away, I hadn't been to Middlesbrough until yesterday, and - well it didn't make the best impact on me, but I drove accross one bridge, I really liked and saw the worlds widest still operational transporter bridge.

It spans 259.3 meters to be exact across the river Tees.

Here are the earlier Bridge Blogs:

Lyonel Feininger edition(Sept 22nd)
Activities on Brooklyn Bridge (Sept 15th)
Bridge of Alcántara (Sept 8th)
Tyne Swing Bridge(Sept 1st)
Muengstener Bruecke (Aug 25th)
Mostar Bridge (Aug 18th)

The bridge plays a role in Billy Elliot and of course "Auf Wiedersehn Pet!"

The Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge was built in 1907 by Cleveland Bridge and Engineering of Darlington and opened in 1911. It spans the River Tees and carries 750 people and 600 vehicles a day in the carrying car which crosses over 160 feet above the river. The crossing takes about two and a half minutes.
Passengers and vehicles are transported by means of a large moving platform which is capable of carrying nine vehicles at a time.

Middlesborogh Transporter Bridge

Charles Smith of Hartlepool Ironworks put forward the notion of transporter bridges in the 1870s. His idea was taken up by Ferdinand Arnodin, whose first one opened in 1893 in Bilbao, Spain. Middleborough's bridge, which has come to visually define the city, was opened by Prince Arthur of Connaught in 1911. A steel truss spans the 565ft (or the aforemetioned259.6 meter) between its two towers, clearing the water by 160ft and balanced by cantilevered end spans of 140ft each. The end spans are anchored to the ground with steel cables. The suspended travelling compartment has been tested to a load of 80 tons. It hangs by wires from a carriage that runs along the girders. Contractors: Sir William Arrol & Co., Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Ltd Supermodel 21 Meccano Transporter Bridge

on this page is a little clip made at its inauguration - I love those men in hats - walking stiffly...

This is Transporter Bridge image
a webcam link

There are more enthusiasts behind this link - The world transporter bridge association

and here are the site, where I got the original image from. thanks and you tooThanks, again The owner of the first one, Ian Britton, has a rather nice picture of a train as well.

this page gives a little history of bridge building in the North East of England.

and the factor played by steel production in the area

by PeWi on Thu Sep 29th, 2005 at 07:11:02 PM EST
The moment I saw the picture I thought hey, didn't they do something to that bridge in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet? :)

You have a normal feeling for a moment, then it passes. --More--
by tzt (tzt) on Thu Sep 29th, 2005 at 07:16:58 PM EST
No, it's still there. The series had a rider at the end explaining that they hadn't really dismantled it (since lots of Middlesborough people were worried)

Think of it as the Geordie (Tyneside) writer having a crack at Teesside.

by JohnUK on Sun Oct 2nd, 2005 at 05:43:32 AM EST
The second photo doesn't appear on my screen.

by whataboutbob on Fri Sep 30th, 2005 at 03:47:23 AM EST
fixed, must have happened, when you moved it from Thursday to Friday.
by PeWi on Fri Sep 30th, 2005 at 04:30:41 AM EST
I bring to you el "trenino verde" in Sardinia:

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Sep 30th, 2005 at 09:04:45 AM EST
Wow. I've never heard of transporter bridges. What an interesting technology.

Here's a little gem, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge, which is not too far from where I live:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I refuse to call this the Mid-Hudson Bridge, which is the local term for it. You'd think we locals would be proud of the FDR association, given that these are his old stomping grounds. Weird, huh?

"I must create a system or be enslaved my another man's." -- William Blake