Welcome Back Italian Shoe Blogging

by Maryb2004 Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 11:17:40 PM EST

How can we NOT front page this? --poemless

I don't take photos. It's important that you know that about me. It's not that I'm against them.  It's not that I don't want to take them.  I just don't.  Once, in the days before digital, I went to Paris with a friend. He came back with 30 rolls of film. I came back with three .... photos.  Yes, that's right.  Three.  Photos.

So when Izzy asked me to photograph shoes in Italy, you can imagine my amusement. I mean, how could someone who would probably forget to take pictures of the frescoes in Assisi be expected to remember to take pictures of shoes? But I like Izzy, so I said I'd think about it. And I did think about it.  I thought about Italian shoes, Italians in shoes, tourists in Italy in shoes ... the permutations made my head spin.

I was willing to try, but I admit I was a little worried about it. Would I be allowed to take photographs of shoes in Italian shops?  Would total strangers be offended if I took pictures of their feet? And what if the people I was traveling with thought I was crazy?  (Actually, I wasn't too worried about that last part.  They already think I'm crazy because I blog.)

I shouldn't have worried.  It was fun and by the end of the week my whole group was on the lookout for shoes. But how to get the photos to Izzy?  Postcards of course!  Fortunately the Italian mail service is a little slooooooow, so the postcards have (amazingly enough) only arrived today.

I've convinced Izzy to share them with you.

Izzy you would love it here! You can buy shoes everywhere, even at the Farmacia (pharmacy).  The waiting area at Leonardo da Vinci Airport is not an exciting place -especially when waiting for someone delayed at Heathrow for nine hours (thank you Alitalia). But I wasn't bored.  I spotted this window display of shoes at the Farmacia and entertained myself with one of the digital cameras.

I'm regretting that last postcard.  I realize that Dr. Scholls were not the kind of sandals you expected me to find in Italy. But Izzy, it was the best I could do on a bad travel day. I promise to make it up to you. How about these? I saw them in Spoleto -very fashionable for the music festival crowd and a welcome diversion after the white knuckle drive through the mountains.

Today we are in Assisi.   The trend seems to be little black dresses worn with black sandals ... I wonder why : )
BTW -- I stalked a number of Franciscans, trying to get a good shot of their sandals- but those boys walk fast! By the end of the day I even had my group giving me "Franciscan alerts." So even though I never got a clear shot at them (the shoes) I considered the day a success because it drew everyone into the "shoe fold".

Other than among Assisi religious, the trend for fall seems so be a little more flashy. Everywhere I look I see mannequins with space age lamé sneakers in gold and/or silver like the ones on the left. Very chic.  I know you'll want to pick up a few pair.  I did not, however, see any lamé Chuck Taylors.

Boots are always popular in Italy, but what happened to the sleek leather look?  With global warming, I wouldn't expect the Nanook from the North look.

But, as you can see, they were everywhere.

It's nearing the end of the week and shoe pictures have become an addiction.  And not only am I looking for shoes, but the rest of my group is looking too.  And some are even modeling for me.

This above shot was taken by our pool and was a group effort.  We had great fun with the Pooh Bear float that kept losing air and needed constant blowing.  The designers must have had a good laugh when they decided to put the blow tube in an anatomically correct location. So a shot with Pooh and some stilettos seemed appropriate. But there was lots of directing involved from everyone in the pool!

Izzy, I just can't decide which are my favorite boots. I love the Bruno Magli black and white boots on the right:

On the other hand, I fell in love with these very practical yellow rubber boots I spotted on an airport worker and I stalked him until I could get a clear view of them. What do you think?

I know you really wanted to come to YearlyKos this year - but you didn't have the right shoes.  Well I found you the perfect pair of Ferragamos.  Yes, they are orange.

Well, the week is over and we're back at the airport on our way home. I was so disappointed that the duty free Prada store isn't open yet.  But I did see this lovely ensemble in the Armani store.  This almost made up for our five hour delay (thank you Alitalia).

By the way ... remember how you asked me to send you a picture of myself?

Yes, that's me in my Josef Seibel sandals.

Ciao!

It seems like I've been waiting FOREVER to post this.
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 12:21:45 AM EST
Nice way to get page hits on EuroTrib... ;)
by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 12:52:24 AM EST
What's a girl to do?  Izzy made me do it :)
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 01:01:47 AM EST
So, are your friends joining EuroTrib, too?

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 03:25:42 AM EST
I think they just don't understand the joy of blogging.  But I'll keep working on them.
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:16:47 AM EST
Jerome announced he's being hold hostage in some unknown location - and an off the bat diary on shoes appears. How... suspiciously quaint.

I like the yellow wellies best.

by Nomad on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 03:34:59 AM EST
You should have seen my eyes light up when I saw those yellow wellies.  I KNEW Izzy would appreciate them. Unfortunately the man wearing them wouldn't stand still so I didn't get a completely clear shot.

And I know NOTHING about Jerome's whereabouts or his kidnappers.

If, however, Alitalia is one of his clients ... I would be very suspicious that's he's being kept hostage at the airport in Rome.  Frankly, if that's the case, I have my doubts that we'll hear from him again.

by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:20:42 AM EST
It's a contrast between Extraordinary Rendition, and Extraordinary Shopping

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 07:08:36 PM EST
Thanks, Maryb!  I love the whole thing!!  For some reason, I really like the one of the Franciscan, too, even though the sandals are only hinted at.

And while I do appreciate you keeping an eye out for yearly kos footwear suggestions, those Ferragamos are... they're... omg, they're hideous!  As are the nanook boots.

The yellow wellies are adorable, though.  Frankly, I like your sandals the best of all of them.

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 12:35:32 PM EST
It's such a relief to have finally posted a picture of myself :)

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that you don't like the Ferragamos.  But they may be a little too dressy for YearlyKos.

In the interest of full disclosure ... that was a picture of a nun in Assisi.  The men wear brown and have brown sandals.  But they really DO walk fast.

I didn't end up with a good picture of my favorite shoes.  They were black suede flats with HUGE rhinestone buckles in the shapes of crowns on them.

I also didn't end up buying any shoes.  But I did buy a little red Italian leather purse (a wallet purse) that I just love.

I recommend Umbria to everyone, it was a great trip.

by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 01:03:02 PM EST
Excellent diary! And at last, a photo of you! :D
by olivia on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:29:43 PM EST
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't think shoes were good enough subjects to save for the BooMan Fotofair.  And I'm glad Izzy got back so I could post this before the FotoFair started and I got cold feet (ha!).
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:32:42 PM EST
all photos are accepted at the fotofair, but I understand your wanting to have the grand unveiling here for Izzy (Hi Izzy!) ... :)
by olivia on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:38:39 PM EST
by town on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:43:14 PM EST
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:45:15 PM EST
The point of shoe blogging completely escapes me. I've worn the same pair of sandals for a year now. Work, church, the theater, go out to eat, the same pair of sandals. When they finally fall apart, I plan to buy a new pair of sandals.

But hey, if it keeps Mary and Izzy happy, why not. Maybe that's the point of a shoe blog.

This message was funded in part by a grant from the National Snark Foundation.

by Omir the Storyteller (omir.the.storyteller -CAT- gmail -DOG- com) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:53:55 PM EST
Maybe you should do a shoe blog showing all the exiting places that your ONE pair of shoes goes in a year (or maybe a month).  Izzy and I would be fascinated.
by Maryb2004 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:00:55 PM EST
... to the fascination list ... :)
by olivia on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:03:25 PM EST
I would consider it if I knew where those places were. I swear in the morning they are never where I left them the night before, and once in a while they seem to . . . well, I know it's not possible, but I would swear they are smiling.

This message was funded in part by a grant from the National Snark Foundation.
by Omir the Storyteller (omir.the.storyteller -CAT- gmail -DOG- com) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:33:48 PM EST
must be sneaking into your home at night to repair your beloved sandals. Tonight, pretend to be asleep, then listen for the tiny tapping of teeny hammers driving wee nails into the worn soles of your annual sandals. The elves respect a good storyteller and   a well-loved pair of shoes, but sometimes they forget to return the shoes from whence they found them.
   I don't know how to explain Ferragamo's and Manolo Blahnick's,  no self-respecting elvish cobbler would make such attenuated heels or pointed toes.
by Teach313 on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:48:03 PM EST
Annual sandals ... The name for Omir's shoes ... I like it! :)
by olivia on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 08:00:51 PM EST
look exactly as I pictured you in my head, maryb  ;)

My humble blog - featuring Friday Basset Blogging
by Man Eegee (man.eegee :at: gmail.com) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:36:38 PM EST
That's what I thought, too. Only I thought your name would be Adelle.
by Kspeak (thorfinn at skip this ameritech dot net as usual) on Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 07:43:38 PM EST
But ... but ... but there are no pretty charts or graphs?  I thought those were mandatory.

Thanks Poemless. First the Cardinals win the NLCS and then this ... wow.

by Maryb2004 on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 12:12:19 AM EST
Your name in lights, Maryb!  You deserve every bit of it!

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 01:05:54 AM EST
and I owe it all to you  ... :)
by Maryb2004 on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:29:28 AM EST
Go Cards!  Woo Hoo! ;)  (We're about to get egged for referring to the "World Series" now...)

by p------- on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 08:41:09 AM EST
Go Cards!  Woo Hoo! ;)

For a second there I thought you were getting excited about a set of trading cards about professional Go players...

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 08:47:08 AM EST
heh

I specifically did not use the words "world series" -- I lurk here a lot, I KNOW the thought process here ;)

But now that you've opened that door ... We're Going to the WORLD SERIES!

I think all the Eurotribbers should adopt the Cardinals and be on my side -- because I'm going to be completely outnumbered over at BT by a LOT of Michigan BooTribbers.

by Maryb2004 on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:28:47 AM EST
Great!!! but World Series of what? Sorry for my ignorance. :D
by Fran on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:30:56 AM EST
Baseball.  The "world" being comprised of the U.S. and bits of Canada.  :D

by p------- on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:46:20 AM EST
That's sort of like cricket, right? With balls and sticks and things?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:47:11 AM EST
easier cricket and the games/matches don't take as long to play :)

I've actually always wanted to go to a cricket match.  Don't they have names for their pitches too?  Googlie?

by Maryb2004 on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 11:19:26 AM EST
Except they don't wear those fabulous white sweaters.  I'll give the English this: they know how to dress for sport!

by p------- on Fri Oct 20th, 2006 at 12:10:04 PM EST
opens up a whole new can of worms....

You can't be me, I'm taken