Graduate migrations

by Jerome a Paris Thu May 18th, 2006 at 11:25:48 AM EST

The FT's daily statistic (from yesterday):

A rough simplification: Small wealthy European countries (Lu., Switzerland) get educated residents from their bigger 'laggardly' neighbors. Big wealthy English-speaking countries get educated residents from all over the world, but especially from the 'dynamic' UK.

What a lovely graph.

(What? I'm meant to be commenting on it's content rather than just admiring it? Fah!)

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Thu May 18th, 2006 at 11:38:37 AM EST
It's because the UK is exporting dynamism.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Thu May 18th, 2006 at 11:42:46 AM EST
Is that an actual word?

The British students I've met are extremely reluctant to cross borders. I've never seen or met an English student studying outside their own country. I could only conclude: They're too chicken to leave the English sphere.

So, okay, that's unfair, but I'm still in a rage on the British hypocricy on car regulation. Yet the English students have little incentive to move off their isle, unless it is practically enforced within the curriculum. And they're also under the constant impression their own education is always, bar none, better - which is not very true either...

by Nomad (Bjinse) on Thu May 18th, 2006 at 02:53:54 PM EST
It's a perfectly cromulent word! :)

I must say that at one callcenter I worked about half the people at one point seemed to be from the UK. They would be the rare few who had learned both French and German at school.

by Number 6 on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 05:51:06 AM EST
I'm one of those graduate migrants to Switzerland...except we are still argung about whether they will accept my credentials as equal...so I dig ditches until we get that straightened out </snark...sorta>

by whataboutbob on Thu May 18th, 2006 at 12:28:00 PM EST
Hey, that graph is great !
I wrote a diary some time ago on a connex topic but am too lazy to dig it out. The title was "Europe's brain drain" and the most interesting was, as usual, the comment section.

When through hell, just keep going. W. Churchill