An Announcement

by Izzy Sat May 20th, 2006 at 10:00:58 AM EST

As you might be aware, EuroTrib has been abandoned by the gnomes.  They are out partying in Paris, eating and meeting and taking pictures of rainbows and who knows what all.  In fact, in an allegorical move, they're all going on a boat, practically begging for mutiny.

I have stepped into this power vacuum with poemless and Alexandra in WMass at my side.  Together we shall provide firm yet benevolent leadership.

promoted by a dissident gnome...

As of this writing, the coup is bloodless.  I am not, however, taking any options off the table.  I assure you I am only using the threat of violence for the good of us all.  It will keep an excitement in the air throughout the next few, tense hours, and perhaps drive up site traffic.

But my legacy shall not be one of fear.  I'm all about compassion and transparency.  I want to appear kind and approachable.  I want each and every one of you to feel involved, if not complicit.  To that end, I will tell you now exactly how it's going to be.

First up, tomorrow morning's European Pancake Breakfast!

We have the Breakfast every day.  There's no reason we shouldn't have pancakes with it.  This has been a dreadful oversight on the part of the current leadership.  I don't know if it's laziness or something more sinister, but the pancakes will not be overlooked on my watch.  Further, sweet butter and maple syrup will be provided.  Other sorts of syrup and certain jams will also be allowed.  Lemon is expressly prohibited.

Peanut butter will be the new official food of the European Tribune.

Throughout the weekend, expect a series of front-page posts documenting its many fine qualities -- its usefulness, health benefits, and peanut buttery deliciousness.  Feel free to post your favorite cookie recipes and don't forget to join the live discussion on the great "honey vs. jelly" debate.

Charts and graphs are now banned.

This is something I feel is long overdue.  If  an idea is worth creating a visual representation, then it is certainly worth taking the time to write the 6000 words or so it would take to describe it.  Charts and graphs are the easy way out and a symptom of mental laziness.  Besides, they give me a headache.  Statistics in small doses will be tolerated.

One last item of business -- it is now ET's official stance that privatizing water is bad.  No regulatory or financial arguments will sway us.  There will still be room for discussion as to how bad it is.  Feel free to discuss whether it is merely bad or full-on Evil.  As a gesture of goodwill, these discussions will be conducted in French.

If there are any questions or problems, please feel free to contact either poemless, who will be writing our All Russian Culture All The Time diary series, or Alexandra in WMass. who will add your complaints to the ET Wiki.

Most importantly, have fun and don't make any sudden moves!

I'm still looking to fill the posts of ET Gossip Columnist, ET TV Critic, and ET Friday Shoe Blogger.  Any volunteers?

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes
by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:08:29 PM EST
as a regular VF reader, couldn't Izzy provide the celeb gossip column?  [joking, joking, ducking behind desk!]

The difference between theory and practise in practise ...
by DeAnander (de_at_daclarke_dot_org) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:33:30 PM EST
Well, I could, but I don't want to hog all the fun!  So what position are you volunteering for, DeA?  You'd be a welcome addition to the coup!

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:38:31 PM EST
I think I'll apply for official role of Job's Comforter -- can be fuzzy and warm, but kinda depressing :-)

The difference between theory and practise in practise ...
by DeAnander (de_at_daclarke_dot_org) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:57:44 PM EST
Who took the Friday Shoe Blogger?:-)

I can resist anything but temptation.- Oscar Wilde
by Little L (ljolito (at) gmail (dot) com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 04:59:23 AM EST

I can resist anything but temptation.- Oscar Wilde
by Little L (ljolito (at) gmail (dot) com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:19:40 AM EST
Whoa. Hot picture!

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 10:00:12 AM EST
Yup, has a little of symbolism..reminds me of the Achilles heel myth and one's vulnerability ;-)!

I can resist anything but temptation.- Oscar Wilde
by Little L (ljolito (at) gmail (dot) com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 10:36:36 AM EST
I'll take the post of TV Critic - see the frontpage!

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 07:27:25 AM EST
Peanut butter will be the new official food of the European Tribune.

FBM... just so long as you don't claim you can run the US vehicle fleet on it...  :-)

The difference between theory and practise in practise ...

by DeAnander (de_at_daclarke_dot_org) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:35:20 PM EST
As a philosophy prof, I believe it is my duty to be obnoxious about details. Re: peanut butter. Are both chunky and creamy acceptable? Or will this be an issue that will divide the leadership into menseheviks vs. bolsheviks?
by STA (sta.blog@gmail.com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 04:50:49 PM EST
Oh, both!  Absolutely!  We're a big-tent kinda coup.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:01:16 PM EST
Ah leadership cohesion. We're on message at the same time using different words. Well done!
by Alexandra in WMass (alexandra_wmass[a|t]yahoo[d|o|t]fr) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:07:41 PM EST
Thank you, Alexandra.  I agree we make a good team.  That said, I have been in talks with Paris.  There have been fierce negotiations with the gnomes in exile.  It's not that I want to turn over the reins of power, but I'm being offered chocolate shoes...

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:20:15 PM EST
I thought we already had the chocolate shoes on our side.   Oh well I'm all for negotiations with gnomes in exile but make sure you don't sell yourself short. I'll back you up one way or the other.

Now I'm off for some socialising and music, the face to face kind. It was a fun day here on ET!

by Alexandra in WMass (alexandra_wmass[a|t]yahoo[d|o|t]fr) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:26:55 PM EST
Hate to tell you, Izzy, but the ignoble gnomes ate the chocolate shoes in a fit of conspicuous-consumption itch at the end of the gluttonous Paris-restaurant supper that rounded off their decadent day.

Jérôme admitted to me this morning that he shouldn't have done it, he'd bitten off more chocolate than he could chew. Cold comfort that will be to you.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun May 21st, 2006 at 03:57:50 PM EST
I think on this point we are a tolerant leadership. Altough chunky would be my preference.
by Alexandra in WMass (alexandra_wmass[a|t]yahoo[d|o|t]fr) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:05:39 PM EST

I object strenuously to the spineless amoral tolerance of these discussion terms, and insist that this discussion should focus on (a) whether water Enclosure is merely full-on-Evil, or cosmically-unprecedented-Evil; and (b) whether a special exception in principled anti-death-penalty positions should be tabled to deal with the offenders.

[only about .55 joking]

The difference between theory and practise in practise ...

by DeAnander (de_at_daclarke_dot_org) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:38:08 PM EST
All rival coup members please line up on the left. We WILL have lemon with our pancakes. "Lemoneers Unite, you have nothing to lose but your tastebuds"

Vladimir Ilyich Lemon, the founding father of the Revolution, was quite clear on the aims of the Pancake revolution. Maple syrup, the Opiate of the Molasses, was nothing compared to the Trotskyite revisionism of Peanutschoviks.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:40:12 PM EST
Yes, by all means -- line up!  DeAnander will deal with you shortly.  I have it from reliable sources that she's not averse to the death penalty in certain circumstances.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:46:48 PM EST
Is this J's clever ploy to decimate the ranks of the non-travellers ( a cunning plan) or simply putting the squeeze on the lemoneers?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:53:36 PM EST
<snort>  OK Sven, you made me laugh so hard I lost control of the scrollbar for a coupla seconds there :-)

The difference between theory and practise in practise ...
by DeAnander (de_at_daclarke_dot_org) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:56:20 PM EST
(maybe that's in bad taste)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 08:05:03 PM EST
Of course it's bad taste -- you're a lemoneer.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 08:15:15 PM EST

You have clearly been snorting too much pancake flour.
by ericy on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 08:52:00 PM EST
We find common ground - but please do not sojourn in Mexico - a peanut butterknife can be a lethal instrument in the hands of experts.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 07:45:00 PM EST
Yippie!!!!! Peanut butter and pancakes and Jams lots of delicious Jams. Fig jam is my particular favourite.

Go to get some zzeeez to be ready for tomorrow early.

by Alexandra in WMass (alexandra_wmass[a|t]yahoo[d|o|t]fr) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 11:16:25 PM EST
Sleep well!  Tomorrow we feast!!

btw, if you're still around, are you getting up early for the ichat or some other reason?

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 11:21:55 PM EST
I'm up and here. Working on my half baked diary of last night. I love the new front page!!
by Alexandra in WMass (alexandra_wmass[a|t]yahoo[d|o|t]fr) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 07:10:31 AM EST
Please amend this site acronym to read EAT, and the members thereof Eaters.

The official clenched fist emblem slogan is revised to read ´Powder to the People'

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:16:17 AM EST
I demand we hold an emergency congress to vote on this manifesto.  I for one will not abide this pancake and peanut butter tyranny.  I submit that blini be the official breakfast of the coup.  I believe Comrade Triloqvist will agree that the blini is far more irresistible than the simple pancake.

And as self-proclaimed Minister of Propaganda, I would like to announce that the indoctrination has begun.

by p------- on Fri May 19th, 2006 at 11:56:15 PM EST
Comrade Poemless, you are an inspiration to all true Revolutiionaries.

Praise Marx and pass the blinis.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:19:47 AM EST

by ATinNM on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 01:13:23 AM EST
i always suspected this place was a cia hangout!

lemon is important, don't be puritan.

i welcome our new american overlords, finally we will find out what 'new europe' should and will be.

the peanut is sadly undereaten in yurp.

deaf smith crunchy organic....oh my

everyone know that people who don't have their own wells of copious, delicious water are lazy hedonists who can't find their own spiritual bootstraps, let them thirst or pay!

graphs are necessary, otherwise pages load too fast, and we europeans like to do things at pleasureably ancient rhythms, avoiding ada this way.

i ahve learned to tolerate them, for a long time i would skip even looking at them, as they were so uber-numerate and screamed wonk.

i still have a block about them....hmm

thanks yanks, you win instant gnomic credit for the wit and elegance of your takeover.

funniest comments i read in a while too!

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:05:25 AM EST
Hey, you all are having too much fun-is that allowed?  It's almost 2:30 in the morning where I'm at and I'm too tired to add any frothy and sparkling comments-I'm tired and cranky and smell like cleaning soap.  I just finished washing the walls in my bathroom as I got the urge to do this at sometime around midnight-sheeeeshhhhhh.  All the while muttering something that sounded suspiciously like 'who needs Paris in the Springtime anyway over and over and over.'

I'm going to have to miss the Pancakes as I hope to be sleeping shortly so I'm hoping to come back and find some fabulously sumptuous dinner prepared to make up for missing all the fun while I'm sleeping.

"People never do evil so throughly and happily as when they do it from moral conviction."-Blaise Pascal

by chocolate ink on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 05:32:59 AM EST
I had a party last night..

I hardyl can do anything...

this is more than I can chew....

happy takeover....

A pliareyruaisre

I therefore claim to show, not how men think in myths, but how myths operate in men's minds without their being aware of the fact. Levi-Strauss, Claude

by kcurie on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 08:48:05 AM EST
A pliareyruaisre

Colman or afew, can you translate? (If all that bordeaux wasn't too much...)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat May 20th, 2006 at 08:56:52 AM EST