Dean Baker and Colman on unemployment***

by Laurent GUERBY Mon Jun 19th, 2006 at 08:44:06 AM EST

I pinged Dean Baker about Colman excellent post about unemployment and he answered my request on his blog Beat the Press

Cooking Unemployment Data to Make the U.S. Look Better

Laurent Guerby made a post on the prior topic about European-U.S. unemployment comparisons, I was just at a conference sponsored by the OECD where exactly this issue came up. The basic point is that proponents of the U.S. model want to add people in employment training programs and disability roles in Europe to their official unemployment rates for purposes of international comparisons.

This seems bogus on several grounds.
[...]

***Back from the front page ~ whataboutbob

I think what these people really want is to count anyone who receives any kind of government benefit (unemployment, disability, employment training) as an undesirable burden on the economy. Dean Baker puts it nicely...
it is an entirely reasonable decision on a society's part that they would be willing to pay more in taxes so that people who have some impediment that makes it difficult to work, do not have to work. It is reasonable to have a more strict standard as well

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jun 16th, 2006 at 05:37:55 PM EST
Good find, Laurent!

by whataboutbob on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 05:38:25 AM EST
Cool. I feel all clever now; real economists mostly agreeing with me. Thanks Laurent.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 06:42:16 AM EST

Thanks!

I did run one piece on my blog, after investigating a bit more it turns out that many economists stepped in:

Note that Antoine Belgodere who took the issue on my blog is a PhD student in economics.

by Laurent GUERBY on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 07:26:02 AM EST
Ha, ha, Laurent!
Ma question était autre et tu as de fait bien répondu : les économistes selon toi ont autre chose à faire que de regarder et sélectionner des données pertinentes pour comprendre le monde réel et décrire son état et évolution potentielle de manière convainquante au public. Un peu de math sans données et pas mal d'idéologie c'est moins "dégradant" et ça paye plus en médaille en chocolat.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 07:44:02 AM EST
Migeru, given your signature, I assume you've watched this interview of Richard Feynman.

And appreciated the passage about social sciences and their math models and data use :).

by Laurent GUERBY on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 10:24:29 AM EST
Not too bad either. Some whining about my links (follow the ones you're given and you'll find it all you lazy fuck) and picking at my numbers (together with the "How dare you include our wonderful military" line.)

Nothing too embarrassing!

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 10:03:14 AM EST
BTW, congrats for your success against odds at Kos :)
by Laurent GUERBY on Sat Jun 17th, 2006 at 10:26:14 AM EST