Happy New Year. At least in my head.

by Colman Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 07:46:11 AM EST

For some reason - probably an overextended association with educational institutions - the end of the summer marks the beginning of my organisational year. It's when the world stretches itself and starts up again and it's when I naturally reassess where I am and what I'm doing. I think it's a natural time for ET to reassess what we want to be doing over the next twelve months as well since it marks the end of the European holiday season. Over the next few weeks there's going to be a lot more activity in the European political and business world and we should have a lot more to think about.

One of the things that we've wondered about in the past is how to bring ET to the attention of the movers and shakers that have the power to do things. Talking among ourselves is fine and entertaining but if we want to make any real difference we need to get our writing and the results of our rantings out to a wider and an influential audience.

We've had some success with that already, especially with Jérôme's efforts at letter writing and especially the contribution to the biofuels consultation. There are further consultations - the energy one has a due date coming up soon and we should probably do some work on that this week - and these formal structures are one way of trying to have some influence on policy.

I've been thinking about how we can influence politicians at the EU level. We have a respectable and growing readership that is interested in European politics so perhaps one way of engaging politicians is to interview them and maybe eventually to encourage them to post diaries on the site, though we'd probably have to grow rather larger before that became a sensible investment of time for them. I've got an e-mail interview with a reasonably senior MEP lined up for next week and I see no reason that we can't make similar contact with Commission members or at least their spokespeople.

What do you want to see happening here over the next year?

Is there a volunteer to lead the Energy Consultation process?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 07:47:41 AM EST
This is something that we need to do, and it would be logical for me to lead this - with any other interested souls (we should ask again when Migeru is around...)

I expect this week to be a bit frenetic with a few urgent tasks that should have been done in the past few weeks, but to get started soon afterwards, hopefully.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 08:41:14 AM EST
I was hoping you'd say that...
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 08:42:11 AM EST
I'd be happy to help on this, but I think you should be the leader.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 08:57:55 AM EST
Maybe ET should engage with more groups and organisations which seem to share interests with it? This is one of the reasons I posted the Europe United diary. They seem to share enough opinions with enough of ET that it might be worthwhile to alert them to our existence and invite them over to have a look. This could be done by posting a short description of ET in their guest forum. They also have a more formal partnership option:
The Pro-European League
The Pro-European League is a partnership network of organisations, which share a common goal of a more integrated Europe. The network is initiated and hosted by Europe United, a new pan-European party. With the engagement of cutting-edge members willing to make Europe a better place, the Pro-European League will be a nexus for idea exchange and networking and center for pro-European campaigning.
...
When sending your proposal, you might want to ask more about:
...
News Partnership
If you run pro-European news service, blog etc.

An official partnership should of course be proceeded by a more careful look at who they are, and a formal decision by Our Dear Leader. Kicking off a potential cooperation of some kind through a more informal post in their guest forum seems easier. I think it should be an invitation from the community here, not just from someone with an account saying "hey, check this out!"
Good idea/Bad idea?
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 09:07:28 AM EST
I was thinking of your Europe United diary actually. How about someone (maybe even you) contacting them and asking if they'd have someone (probably not you) available to do an e-mail interview and maybe participate in the discussion afterwards. Take questions from people here, send them off, clarify as required and post it up.

This has the advantage of getting them to look at the site from the point of view of getting their message to a wider audience while drawing their attention to it.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 09:13:14 AM EST
Good idea. I will work on it and post it here for comments before sending it off.
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 09:16:04 AM EST
okay, i clobbered together something to post before leaving work.

A few days ago I came across the website of your party and read with interest your manifesto and your policies. I am a participant of the European Tribune (www.eurotrib.com), a progressive blog which seeks to promote dialogue and debate on news and issues of European interest. Participation is open to anyone with access to a keyboard and a valid e-mail address, from Europe, or around the world. Anyone who registers an account can post diaries, which function like a top level starting point for discussion, and comment in discussion threads. In addition to discussion and debate the community also takes an interest in having its viewpoints seen by a larger audience. Presently this takes the form of letters to the editor and participation in EU consultations. We are interested in discovering the ways in which citizens of the Union can affect its policy, as well as in debate on what the future of Europe should look like, and how we could affect the changes we might want.

Would there be interest from your side to participate in an e-mail interview, on your party, policies, and on how our common European future might be shaped? I would collect questions from our community, you would provide responses, and the result would be posted as a diary, hopefully with your participation in the following discussion.

I(We?) would also like to encourage members of your party to stop by our site, and perhaps get an account and participate with comments and diaries. It seems we have a lot of common interests, though our community does not have any official political policy and opposing opinions can be expected.

Please comment on content and language. I also need to decide on who to address this to. "Dear Sir or Madam"? And I need to sign it somehow. Do I need to use my real name?
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 12:58:46 PM EST
  • I'd mention that we have about 1,000 readers a day from across the Union.

• I'd be inclined to use your real name and identify where you're from.  You might need to make a follow-up call to get an answer.

• I'd highlight the advantages to them a bit more.

Good otherwise.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 01:03:29 PM EST
1,200 readers and 8,000 page views per day.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 01:50:39 PM EST
Interesting.

Europe or World? If Europe, how much for the world?

by Laurent GUERBY on Mon Aug 28th, 2006 at 04:12:29 PM EST
Frankly, I can only encourage initiatives like this one. We all need to do our bit, on the basis of the people or the institutions we know. I (or Colman) can only do so much ourselves. Those of you that are committed to ET and want to see it get influential have as much of a right to start initiatives than the front pagers do. If you think it's something controversial, just ask privately.

This site makes sense only through its community; it's not the mouthpiece of a few individuals.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes