To the European Tribune Community

by whataboutbob Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:10:38 AM EST

The new year has now really started, and diaries and discussion threads are taking off, with visits from many new readers, commenters and article writers. This might be a good time to briefly re-visit the blog ethics and culture that have developed here since the European Tribune began in June 2005.

I believe that a lot of us who frequent the European Tribune feel that one of its strong points is the culture of positive and respectful debate. We don't always agree with each other on various topics, and that's okay because we learn through polite and informed debate and discussion of our respective points of view. The European Tribune has (luckily) rarely had to deal with people who use the pages of ET to smear, sneer at, or bully people who have other points of view than theirs, and we fully expect this to continue in the future.

More below. Note that I fully support this statement. -- Jérôme.

If, however, this sort of abusive communication style does occur, it is entirely within the community's rights to appropriately confront -- either through comments, or through the use of the rating system -- anyone abusing the privilege of involvement with the European Tribune. Hopefully we won't have to do this too often, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to inform our newcomers about these kinds of issues and how we can continue to make European Tribune a friendly and comfortable place to visit.

On a positive note, I want to briefly acknowledge that in the recent months we have seen a very welcome increase in female community members and writers. You are SO welcome here!!! For a good long time many of us around ET have tried to encourage a more balanced male-female involvement, perspective and awareness. After all, we are trying to reflect a progressive sensitivity. Some of the feedback I have heard in the past is that ET can sometimes feel too much like an 'academic old boy network', which puts off people who may feel less inclined to participate in that sort of vibe - and we definitely enjoy having participants that help us fight that impression by bringing a different perspective.

On somewhat related note, I definitely appreciate the incredible knowledge base of many of our writers, and have learned a tremendous amount in the areas of economics and energy. I personally tend to have much more interest in social sciences, culture, sports, arts, and humanities - as well as a genuine interest in building a sense of community - so I want to encourage those that help us enrich the diversity of topics broached. There will always be room for that in our community too, despite the strong focus on "wonky" issues.

Thanks!

Amen.. purely and simple...

well except..are you calling me a white old boy accademic??? Except for the polonium stuff I try not to talk about anything I know.... and given that I actually did not know a jot about Polonium in the end makes my contribution as accademic nil :) MEGASNARK (but true).

Love you Bob.

A pleasure

I therefore claim to show, not how men think in myths, but how myths operate in men's minds without their being aware of the fact. Levi-Strauss, Claude

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:20:29 AM EST
thanks kcurie!! (not to worry, I wasn't talking about you...)

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:18:47 AM EST
Hi Bob,

You have a lot of knowledge, that I think you're too shy to share with us sometimes. Plsfixkthx.

by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:27:07 AM EST
You wouldn't believe how often I've said that.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:31:50 AM EST
You two are such old-boy academics.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:33:13 AM EST
I haven't forgotten, Metatone...I keep intending on doing something on my transition and integration process here (per your suggestion)...but depending on the moment, it could either be a warm and fuzzy, or a rant!
But thanks for the encouragement...

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:43:04 AM EST
When people are done hacking at this in the comments, an updated version should be added to the New User Guide.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:28:07 AM EST

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:02:34 AM EST
"Who's that?"

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:07:51 AM EST
One of the old boys.

Laozi believed that violence should be avoided as much as possible, and that military victory--which logically would be attained through use of force--should be an occasion for mourning rather than triumphant celebration.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:13:16 AM EST
I'll buy that bit of wisdom 100%

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 04:47:38 PM EST
I spent 2/3 of my life pursuing an academic career. Why should I be embarrassed about it?

Plus, "old-boy network" is definitely not what this is. It's a debate forum, not a network, and we don't scratch each other's backs like "old-boy networks" do.

I remember the time I had to shut someone up by saying "this is an open thread and I'm enjoying the chance to pick the brain of a fellow nerd". By the way, the fellow nerd was a female engineer.

So we might all be well advised to leave our pre-conceptions about discrimination at the door when we come into ET.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 05:40:42 AM EST
Migeru, to be clear, I wasn't talking to/about you at all. And you have nothing to be embarassed about at all...you have contributed tremendously and consistently to ET for many, many months, and have helped make it what it is. I am more trying to adress the "blog culture" issue, more than point fingers at "academics" (of which I am one too)...I think we just need to re-visit who we are and how we prefer to operate on occasion.

Peace!!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:23:01 AM EST
You're getting defensive again, Bob. LOL

Considering that Sometimes reading ET is like watching people on drugs I really don't understand the frequent complaints that people are put off by the "academic feel" of the site.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:06:00 AM EST
I don't think anyone is being asked to be embarrassed. What is being pointed out is that superiority (in knowledge and/or intelligence, supposed or otherwise) should be used with respect for others and for ET's considerate and even warm ethos. The whole point is that no one should feel embarrassed, because they know more or because they know less (apparently).

As for "debate club", I think ET is a lot more than that. It's a community, and that includes network aspects. And Bob is talking about the feeling some people may have here, of being daunted by the quality, knowledge, intelligence, etc - which is fine if the ethos is friendly enough to encourage people to join in, not so fine if supposedly superior knowledge, logic, etc, is used to put people down.

What's the statue?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:28:48 AM EST
Ask TBG.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:31:26 AM EST
Heh. Smith again. Missed that one.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:36:13 AM EST
I get at least as much out of the fact that this is a sane, friendly and fun group of people as the intense discussions.

It's not a networking site in the Cabal sense, but it's certainly a networking site in that I've got to meet some fun people, online and off, and I hope to meet more of them when there's a chance to.

I'm glad it's not 100% intellect and debate all the time, because ET wouldn't work nearly as well if that's all that happened here.

Troll outbreaks are incredibly rare compared to other sites. Everyone contributes something, and I'm endlessly impressed by the way that Bob and Fran help hold the site together just by being who they are.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:33:08 AM EST
Ads are gone for the moment, as per Jérôme.

I've filled the left-hand space on the front-page by moving some of the boxes from the right to the left, moving recommended diaries and new diaries up the page. This isn't a final change at all - and I'm going to throw up a redesign thread at some stage soon.  If anyone is seriously put out by the changes, please say so.

This is not an invitation to discuss a re-design in this thread!

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:06:16 AM EST
We're already discussing them on the Salon thread... LOL

It's the statue, man, The Statue.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:10:34 AM EST
Looks good to me, thanks.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:12:06 AM EST
And we don't have any third-party web servers jamming up and slowing down page downloads.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:13:11 AM EST
No more Waiting for Crispads. Yay!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:31:05 AM EST
WOW!! And more...space!! More room for us to have fun with!!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:39:28 AM EST
Look for the adblock plugin if you use firefox.
by Laurent GUERBY on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:08:26 AM EST
It seems ok with me.. I like it...

A pleasure

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:12:35 AM EST

And I do the bit in the middle :-))

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:12:20 AM EST
well you are less unbalanced than most of us here ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:46:32 AM EST
FYI: Actually, I wasn't thinking of anyone specifically when I mentioned the academic thing. It was just some feedback I heard awhile back, and just thought us academics should keep it in mind. And, yes, I work in a University myself...and I think I could really put people to sleep (or rile them up...depending on the subject) discussing some of the psychological, psychosocial, trauma, stress, sports stuff (etc) I deal with day to day. I don't hold myself apart...and in fact, probably contributes to my shyness about talking too much about what I do.

In fact...I wouldn't want to change anything about the intellectual brilliance that exists and is shared on tis site...

No, I just had the feeling, that with all the new people coming around that we should re-visit our community ethics again, and let people know we are concerned about maintaining and growing our culture.

So please, no one take offense...not kcurie, not migeru, not anyone...your ongoing contributions are super valued. If I iadvertantly have offended anyone, my sincerest apologies. I just think it is important that we be aware to be inclusive...and also, that we talk to anyone who comes around and acts disrespect, is all. Cheers!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:16:29 AM EST
.. I really really really love it  when you do that :)

A pleasure

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:21:37 AM EST
the quality of the discourse by obviously knowledgeable people can make it intimidating for outsiders to join in.

The point of this is not to lwoer the standards, but to welcome everybody in, to write abotu whatever topic they want (and not just those hashed to death here with regularity) and remind us that different perspectives, even if not backed by detailed specialist knowledge, are welcome and will not be shot down unless in obvious bad faith.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:26:34 AM EST
I have repeatedly said that I think it's more fun for people to write about what they're learning and let the experts pitch in in the comments.

That way people can tally PN points for Sven's award.

It's the statue, man, The Statue.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:27:58 AM EST
You've just described most of my stories: "Colman writes about stuff he's learning about - or has no clue about".
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:29:57 AM EST
And Colman thinks he's the only one...
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:33:12 AM EST
Not to say that they can't be challenged on the facts (politely) when they're clearly basing their perspective on incorrect facts, even in good faith.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:28:44 AM EST
True.  It took me months and months and months to actually start contributing here, because I didn't feel I had much to contribute.  But, much to my surprise, people seem to enjoy my decidedly non-wonkish diaries, so....
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:54:31 AM EST
YES!!!! And your contributions have been wonderful, truly!!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 06:56:20 AM EST
Bob...there I was swearing and shouting at people...I dunno, my experience has been...well...I like kcurie's approach and would like to apply it all times, but sometimes I feel that someone's being hit and...ya know, I hope there's some humour there...that's the point, I suppose...to make it humorous...but I could...well...cough...

Did someone mention drugs?

But peace to all...yes.  Definitely.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:09:47 AM EST
rg, when have you yelled at someone??

(By the way, that statue of lao Tsu is awesome...loks to be carved right out local rocks).

And what were you saying about drugs? (Its Albert Hofmann's birthday today!)

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:20:54 AM EST
rg, when have you yelled at someone??

You mean...it was all in my head?  Oh man...

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:33:51 AM EST
Oh...oh...Bob!

Albert Hofmann

The discovery of Lysergic acid diethylamide.

Dr. Hofmann discovered the psychedelic effects of LSD after accidentally absorbing some through his fingertips on April 16, 1943. Three days later, on April 19 (later known as Bicycle Day, after his bicycle ride home that day while under LSD's influence), Hofmann deliberately consumed 250 micrograms of LSD, and experienced far more intense effects.

Dr. Hofmann's thoughts on LSD.

He calls LSD "medicine for the soul" and is frustrated by the worldwide prohibition that has pushed it underground. "It was used very successfully for 10 years in psychoanalysis," he said, adding that the drug was hijacked by the youth movement of the 1960s and then unfairly demonized by the establishment that the movement opposed. He concedes LSD can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

You are a star, mate.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:41:31 AM EST
And...No more adverts!  Jerome...I thank yez.  (Get that ET bank acc. set up--so I's can pay something towards..for all your efforts...)

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:46:44 AM EST
You can pay me next weekend for a go lesson and I'll send the money to Colman on your behalf.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:47:56 AM EST
rg, my only complaint about Hofmann's complaint (about all those damn hippies) is, how would we have found out otherwise? he and his buddies were hoarding it all. I personally want to thank all those rebels (Owsley, the Grateful Dead, et al), for giving many of us the opportunity to explore new realms, that we otherwise likely would not have been able to. Sorry Albert...blame the US government and the CIA for the worldwide prohibition, not the hipsters...

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 08:24:38 AM EST
Yeah.

Yeah!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:00:38 PM EST
My approach??

My approach at other sex people (yeah I am hetero, so what?) has been mainly stupid and I really want to remember New Year's depressing site... :)

It is more like a no-approach...(lately).

And I LOVE the humour and the humus (I miss the last one).

And as the saying goes.. I do not take drugs but I would fight to death to defend your right to take/have them....(actually i took a drug once... I was high high..for 24 hours...never again)

A pleasure

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 07:47:19 AM EST
Your approach:

But actually I would prefer more an argumentative name-calling...In this way we keep name-calling out of this site and use the argumentative name-calling properly...

Where the argumentative point is....something something...coz sometimes you need to shout at someone, otherwise we all repress...our emotions, but the shouting should be in league with the other...into their wavelength and with some substance, some area of discussion that, when the heat has died down, there's a conversation--there are conversations--to be had...

Re: humus.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 08:39:44 AM EST
Well I actually do not like doing the argumentative nam-calling.. but I do think (that others je je)is very good to add some spicy to ET...

and yes.. no argumentative name-calling puts me off.. yeah..

AHHHHHH

I love the humus.. geee...

What is the last picture, rg???

A pleasure

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 09:36:55 AM EST
What is the last picture, rg???

Give it a click.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:59:57 AM EST
Je je jej..

I love shackras.. I love them.... It's one of those thing that I am completely sure that you believe in it, it must work wonderfully... not that I use it (well of course test it.. of course.. you know I test everything... but still is not the same as being hindu and actually believe in it...)

Love it.. my pancreatic digestion would improve with a humus and the appropriate chakra....who would have guessed?

LOL

A pleasure

by kcurie on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:11:21 PM EST
And don't forget:

it is noted by many that there is a marked similarity between the positions and roles described for chakras, and the positions and roles of the glands in the endocrine system, and also by the positions of the nerve ganglia (also known as "plexuses") along the spinal cord (branching to plexuses by endocrine glands or organs), opening the possibility that two vastly different systems of conceptualization have been brought to bear to systemize insights about the same phenomenon. By some, chakras are thought of as having their physical manifestation in the body as these glands, and their subjective manifestation as the associated psychological and spiritual experiences.

Indeed, the various hormones secreted by these glands do have a dramatic effect on human psychology, and an imbalance in one can cause a psychological or physical imbalance in a person. Whether these changes in body state have a bearing on spiritual matters is a subject of dissent even among the Indian theorists, and the different systems of conceptualization, Indian and Western, make only a partial convergence in this case.

Perhaps the most psychologically dramatic and potent secretion of these glands is the psychedelic drug DMT (which is thought to be synthesized by the pineal gland, corresponding to the brow chakra). Some individuals have sought spiritual breakthroughs through the use of such chemical aids, occasionally referred to as entheogens in this context. (See for example: Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception, a classic of new-age spirituality.)

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:42:24 PM EST
LOL!
by Fran on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 01:21:04 PM EST
This is a response to kcurie above. :-)
by Fran on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 01:21:44 PM EST
As someone that has an unfortunate fondness of approaching debating as a combat sport at times, I appreciate the way this site has found a debating culture that has a lively drama and humour too it, while rarely turning into flame orgies. (As opposed to places like A Fistful of Euros, which just makes me want to sleep every time I go there. So dry and formal it makes my skin crawl...)

But for this very reason, I think it is unavoidable that the napalm will fly at times. What is important is to be able to say sorry and to accept apologies when things go too far. And if you have this problem, to be aware of what sets others at the site off, and what makes you go off.

(Apropos: Sorry again to stormy present, collateral damage in a duking out between me and Marek the other day.)

by Trond Ove on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 09:12:08 AM EST
Thanks!

<presses ice pack to her eye>

!-)

by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 09:39:24 AM EST
I should say something here, given that I am guilty as charged. Part of it is a tendency towards sharp edged, pointy elbowed political argument which I periodically try to soften only to backslide again.  I get particularly heated when confronted with something that conflicts with both the facts in my field of expertise and my ideological values, though I'm sure you've noticed that.

However, in my defense, I'd like to mention that plenty of generally mild mannered people here can get just as harsh and dismissive when confronted with radical neoliberalism or neoconservatism, particularly when those making such statements are using false facts as evidence. Should the gentle atmosphere of comity also embrace those talking about the 25% European unemployment or the Stalinist dominated nature of the European left throughout the postwar era? (Both 'true', or close enough, if one takes a specific country at a specific time) Or maybe the coming of Eurabia?  Think of the reactions at times to messy or even wchurchill - the latter very clearly neither a troll nor a doctrinaire WSJ op-ed page clone.  Or is it to only apply to those seeing themselves as part of the left (suddenly tempted to fully adopt the persona of a sixties era social democrat forcefully dismissing all environmental concerns as a bourgeois affectation ;-) Nope, I've managed to (mostly) suppress the devil's advocate side of me, shouldn't backslide)

by MarekNYC on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 10:56:35 AM EST
I can only speak for myself...but I sense this is not only my own opinion Marek...that you are a valued member of the community. Sharp elbows and all. (I've never been offended by you in the least). And my intention was not meant to shut people up or be a control freak, but rather...a comment for newcomers...is all. Vive le difference!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:28:34 AM EST
I'm sure Bob's words above did not target those who argue sometimes sharply and bring facts to the table, who listen to the opposing argument and sometimes accept it, as you do. I can't think of an occasion when you have shown contempt for another user, or have attempted to use supposedly superior knowledge to browbeat another. And that's the kind of behaviour that's being reproved here.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 04:32:21 PM EST

In order to bring a little levity and light-heartedness into the discussion, I am going to try my first you-tube post. A music piece of a Harry Belafonte song, "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" done by the Grateful Dead. The sound is excellent, though the picture is a bit dark...enjoy!!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:34:10 AM EST
;)

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:05:53 PM EST
Dang, did I say something bad again?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:29:39 PM EST
Hey!

Do all these recommends mean I did?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Fri Jan 12th, 2007 at 01:49:24 PM EST
on creating longer diaries suggested on the other evening open thread, works for me. I can't figure it out.

Am working, age 10, on my Authoritative and Unabridged History of the World(20 volumes). With opinions and imparted wisdom on all things, in the 10 volume appendix.

Kissinger wrote his History of the World, as a senior thesis at Harvard, after WWII, aged abt 25.

But Kissinger was a lame dim-wit.

Forget the age 30+ pontificators.

If you haven't published the definitive work by  age 15, you've lived a truly wasted life.

"When the abyss stares at me, it wets its pants." Brian Hopkins

by EricC on Sat Jan 13th, 2007 at 06:34:04 PM EST