Friday Photography Blog #16

by LEP Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:40:44 AM EST

In early November, while I was in the U.S. on vacation, in my sleep, I saw an apparition. "You will be granted one request", the apparition said. "Take me to my people" I replied. "Israel?" the apparition asked. "No, Miami Beach" I implored..........et VOILA:

Please excuse my corny old jokes.You can take the boy out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the boy, or something like that. Anyway, the apparition missed by 100 miles and I wound up in West Palm Beach, but that's another story.
And since I'm back in Paris it seems like I'm living in the Arctic Circle. Daybreak at 8:30, sunset at 4:30 and just barely enough rays of sun to give me some hope so that I don't consider  jumping off my first floor balcony.
So I thought that this being the last photo blog of the year we could dig out our old spring and summer photos and have a "Spring and Summer Blue Sky" section, to give us all hope for the coming spring. All this in addition to our "Photos as Usual" section.
So there it is. But wait! It's not the last photo blog of the year. A Guest Blogger has stepped up and has volunteered to do a Special Solstice Edition next Friday which happens to fall on December 21. It's Loefing, one of my fellow American expatriates in Paris. Jeez, Friday Photography Blog has a Guest Blogger. It feels like it's daily kos. (I must not let this go to my head!) Anyway, be nice to Loefing, it's his first time.
And Happy Holidays to all!

spring and summer blue sky photos

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:43:11 AM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:48:09 AM EST

That's so well done. Especially as the picture reveals itself, scrolling down. Brought a smile.

by Nomad on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:12:14 AM EST

Taken a couple of summers ago - an arts centre in St Donats/Atlantic College.  Have no time to post more til this evening. I'll be back.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:01:54 AM EST
From estHer.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:14:50 AM EST
Wish I could rate this photograph several times over.

It's wonderful, Esther.

by Loefing on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 05:24:01 PM EST
It's always summer there.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:35:13 AM EST

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:35:35 AM EST
That's great.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:39:29 AM EST
Keeps the beer cool and handy ;-)

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:40:57 AM EST
Reminds of the Milk Carton Boat Races held each year in Minneapolis which I love. They were more fun when I was a little kid as milk carton boat technology wasn't quite there in the early 80's and some of the boats would invariably come apart and sink.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:57:35 PM EST

Shot with cruddy point and click, then scanned...

by Nomad on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:39:22 AM EST
Very nice result.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:42:22 AM EST

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:39:56 AM EST
Is this an ad?

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:42:50 AM EST
It is one of a whole series of pix that I commissioned for a US cruise ship built in Finland. The client wanted to use a bit of European humour in the ship decor. The beer fishing one is a another in the series. I'm not sure Mom and Pop from Idaho understood them - but they were fun to do.

I am just pitching artwork for the latest ship - the keel will be laid in 2008. It is the biggest cruise ship yet: 220.000 gross tons, 1.180 ft long, 230 ft high!

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:10:41 AM EST
A duck enjoying summer. For Sven and afew?

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:00:04 AM EST
Thanks me duck!

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:11:48 AM EST
You can send the bill later

<quack>

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:14:41 AM EST
Groan!

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:15:40 AM EST
There's a joke about webbed feet in there somewhere...where's ceebs when you need 'im?

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:19:28 AM EST
I'm thinking (mal)'ard but just can't think of one off the top of my head

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 09:03:27 AM EST
I can't think of any good ones eider

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:15:51 AM EST
I can see your thoughts in their stately progress on the surface but know beneath the surface they are just paddling along like crazy.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:17:48 AM EST
There's so much B.S. being flung around here that I have to d--k!

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:37:55 AM EST
So - we ruffled a few feathers....I don't give a duck...

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:42:00 AM EST
I'm sick of your canards!

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:44:22 AM EST
I think that neatly completes the Happy Hannukah round. ;-)

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:46:46 AM EST
So far we're only Dabbling

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:01:48 PM EST
We need to. Our humor is so very dry.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:10:05 PM EST
Maybe we need to get below the surface of this theme?

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:23:47 PM EST
if we don't we're quackers

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:26:17 PM EST
Sometimes you have to make a few waves...

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:29:04 PM EST
if this carries on much further we may be tarred and feathered.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:33:00 PM EST
As Sir Francis Drake said "Let's finnish the game before those frickin foreigners get here..."

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:36:19 PM EST
A duck's favourite footballer?

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:37:49 PM EST
...Chris Waddle

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:38:25 PM EST
ruddy well done

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:40:44 PM EST
jeez, this is all ducked up.

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman
by dvx (dvx.clt št gmail dotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 01:42:29 PM EST
Too late! ;-)
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:37:55 PM EST
"Teal meet again, don't know where, don't know wheeeen"

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:39:40 PM EST
I think you all have finally quacked...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:37:08 PM EST
From Chatelet.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 05:26:50 AM EST
A bald eagle wheels high through a late summer sky over the east bank of the upper Mississippi.

Ready to catch the sky.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"

by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 07:46:55 AM EST
Impressive photos techno.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 09:03:48 AM EST
Thanks for the compliment LEP.  But compared to how lovely our skies are on a regular basis, this is a pretty lame effort.  When I saw your topic I said to myself, "this is made for me.  Who else has such beautiful skies to photograph?"  It's true.  Before television and other distractions, looking at the sky was easily the #1 form of amusement around this part of the world.

And then I started to look at my collection and discovered that MOST of my outdoor pictures have deliberately cropped out the sky.  So I am going to make an effort to shoot more pictures of our #1 aesthetic attraction.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"

by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:23:05 PM EST
Nostalgia for spring blossoms. <stomps feet> I can't wait, even if the interim has something pleasantly languorous about it.

The December 21 Winter Solstice / Saturnalia photoblog is likely to center around Wild stuff: abstract, animal, crazy ... it'll all be good.

Stories and anecdotes from the non-photographically oriented will be encouraged, too.

Hang on to yeer hats : )

by Loefing on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:04:40 AM EST
This is a lovely photo.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM EST
Thanks, LEP. Actually it's a scan of spring growth.

Me and my cameras, me and my scanner : )

by Loefing on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:57:09 AM EST
You just put these branches on your scanner, and that's it?

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:05:05 PM EST
by Loefing on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:31:31 PM EST
passage

blue door

click images to enlarge

scanned from 35mm slides

by town on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:47:27 AM EST
ft. point lighthouse under the golden gate bridge

by town on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:49:36 AM EST
Beautiful photos.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:36:13 AM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:27:18 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:28:15 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:29:00 PM EST

Mt. Shasta, CA

Grizzly Lake, CA

Manzanillo, Mexico

Manzanillo

Napa, CA

Berlin

Berkeley, CA

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:28:11 PM EST
The last photo is exceptionally good.

by LEP on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 03:29:06 AM EST
Beautiful pictures.

But, oh, the photograph of Shasta is saddening. Little matter whether the photo was taken in summer or winter [it's summer I assume], Shasta's permafrost is a fraction of what it was when I was a kid or when I climbed it.

Same goes for the Northern Cascades. Three Sisters, Hood, Jefferson ...

: (

by Loefing on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:11:16 AM EST
Here is an April blue sky -- at Márianosztra, Börzsöny Mountains; you see an ancient volcanic cone to the right:

I actually like autumn (until all the leaves have fallen) and winter (if it snows) more than summer, not the least for heat. I hope the rail bends give an idea how hot it was already this May:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 05:46:58 PM EST
you see an ancient volcanic cone to the right:

left...

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 05:53:33 PM EST

New year 2006 I was travelling around South India and new year caught me in resort in 20 km from state capital Trivandrum. To my surprise fishermen of nearby village did not celebrate New Year and in the wee hours were already in the sea and early morning they were returning with their catch.
by FarEasterner on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 07:50:08 AM EST
photos as usual

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:45:08 AM EST
From estHer

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:55:14 AM EST
Her friend being sultry.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:51:23 AM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 04:29:27 AM EST
I really really like this one.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:47:53 AM EST
I do too, but I can't say why. I added a little brightness so you could see the outlines of the child at the right.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:53:11 AM EST
The kid makes it.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:25:51 PM EST
I believe estHer has the ability to know what generates interest in a photograph.  This one, to me, is about mystery - who is the person and what are they doing there?  Very nicely executed.

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 08:28:15 PM EST
That's all very true. I don't know much about the technical parts of photography, but for me, a good photo is one that I want to look at for a second time. That's probably true of all art. (estHer's photos often meet this criterion.)

by LEP on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 01:19:22 AM EST
Yes, I agree with your assessment, and you know her technical execution is not bad either.  I see a successful future as an artist if she continues down this road.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:49:45 AM EST
Sam, geezer and Colman.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 09:29:34 AM EST
Having seen photos of most people on here, I don't know how I expected Colman to look, but It's always surprising when i see pictures of him, in that I expected him to look somehow different.  Others always look as I expect.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 01:51:32 PM EST
No one ever looks like what I expect them to.

"Pretending that you already know the answer when you don't is not actually very helpful." ~Migeru.
by poemless on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 01:54:12 PM EST
It's the lack of Stalinist uniforms on us Europeans?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:04:06 PM EST
Why would I expect you to be wearing Stalinist uniforms?

by poemless on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:06:41 PM EST
Well we're all dangerous european socialists ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:13:22 PM EST
Colman seems able to hide his essential grumpiness in photos ;-)

I was certainly surprised to see that you were a young innocent lad, rather than a debauched gone to seed lecturer or lecherer, if you will.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:16:11 PM EST
it's the organic food and rain that keeps me looking younger than my years.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:20:44 PM EST
I should give up the sprango - I'm only 22, but I look like shit. I do like rain though.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:26:52 PM EST
age or weight? ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:35:14 PM EST
You got to get to the city once in a while ceebs. We don't speak in "stones" anymore.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:41:16 PM EST
I went, it was crowded.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:44:29 PM EST
Hmmm...where did that double chin of mine come from???  Have to have a word with Sproggie...

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
by Sam on Sun Dec 16th, 2007 at 02:40:30 PM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 09:38:07 AM EST
Variations on a theme

Last Sunday we went for lunch with friends to Club Nautique, Nice, which has great views from the terrace. Later we walked round to La Reserve and had drinks in its bar, also with great views:

montse-view-50091

As the sun began to set I saw these glasses and bottle  outside and resolution was good enough (especially for the web) to use quite small sections of the image, as the zoom only goes to 112mm on the Lumix:

a-glasses-sun-s-50097

bott-glasses-plane-s-set-s-50097

glasses-sunset-s-50103

glass-sunset

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:42:23 AM EST
From esther.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:07:57 PM EST
wow, estHer...

that is bresson-level, imo

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 07:27:05 AM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:29:42 PM EST
Thought I would show a few of my photo restorations.  These first are from Tabasco, Mexico.  I've encouraged townspeople to bring me their old photos to restore, and I do them just for fun charging only for the cost of printing, or nothing at all if the person is poor.  As they say, if you offer it for free they will come, and they have.  My reward has been the pleasure of working on some real treasures. Oh, and the tropics is like restoration boot camp.  Mold, mildew, wet, heat, and insects.  I challenge anyone to find worse living conditions for photographic print paper.

Original of "Don Salvador" About 16x20 inches, I had to scan it in four sections. It looked like a reprint of a badly damaged earlier print.  Output for the restoration was also 16x20 and I digitally hand colored it.  The client (Salvador's 79 year old grandson) like color over B&W.

The restoration. This one is covered in a hard acrylic shell.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:22:35 PM EST
Very interesting Gringo. Do you live in Mexico for a part of the year?

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:35:58 PM EST
Yes, since 2004 we have been spending about 2-3 months there during the Summer and another 2-3 months in the Winter.  We hope eventually to spend more time in Mexico but lately we have had a fairly new grandson and his ailing mother to care for.

Just before our daughter recovered fully from surgery, several weeks ago, Tabasco experienced a terrible flood that forced 900,000 persons out of their homes, washed out major roadways and generally disrupted life there.  The flood waters have receded but things are not close to being normal yet.  To add to the misery, the overflowing of several rivers caused a mountain to slide into and block one of the main rivers between two reservoirs.  The government has been struggling to remove the blockage before more rains overwhelm the reservoirs.  On December 18th they are supposed to redirect the river and release a lot of water from the reservoirs.  The local government fears that this could cause another great flood downstream as it did before.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 08:20:18 PM EST
I wanted to say that I really like that photograph, the eyes are hidden, he's on his horse in a simple jacket, and for all I know he is Headest Most Honcho of Mexico.  He has a spanish face.  Trees, a horse.  He seems comfortable.  The fold in the top left gives it a fractured sense, and I like that--I was at The National Gallery yesterday, an exhibition of german stained glass.  Most is religious, but the...hey...I searched for the image but couldn't find it.  It's a couple in bed, a pair of slippers by the bed (in a different panel, coloured using a different technique, the lead bent into intriguing shapes--below the fold there's an ochre stain), the photo has orche and black and white and greys.  I was thinking: that's a really great picture, Gringo's done a great job capturing the image in its faded state...heh...Let's hope those waters don't flood a second time!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 09:01:23 PM EST
Thank you for the kind comments.  Each old photograph like this one carries with it someone's life story and as you have pointed out, every aspect of the face and surroundings have a message.  From what I have gathered from persons who remembered this gentleman, he used to ride his horse into town. In this "backward" part of Mexico none of the older inhabitants are far from their ranches and horses, even today. My wife's, aunt, now in her late 70s, remembers "Don Salvador" riding past her house in the middle of town.  I know several of his descendants and they are still ranchers today.  Totally removed from the recent oil boom economy.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:59:27 AM EST
This reminds me of a wonderful book I read recently, called The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa.

It is narrated by a Gecko and the main character he discusses makes up histories/identities for people. These histories based around real events with real people as the 'new' parents and relatives, photos to back it up as well as dates and places.  But your photos remind me of that book, how I imagined the old photos to be that he gave to his clients in constructing their new selves.

Wonderful.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 11:19:55 AM EST
Excellent comment.  I recently read somewhere about unscrupulous for-hire genealogists that do that sort of thing. Apparently the motive is money and reputation.  Usually their "impressed" clients are unaware that the family histories they have been provided are only partly factual. The impressive parts are just "documented" lies.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 09:24:10 PM EST
I wish your daughter well.

by LEP on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 01:02:58 AM EST
Thank you LEP.  She is doing much better now and seems to have recovered nicely from the surgery.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 11:00:41 AM EST
Actually the restoration version above was an interim.  After looking at it critically, I didn't like several things, such as the shoulders (way to sloping), and made changes.  Here is the printed final.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:36:14 PM EST

Dona M and her late husband. Original about 3x4"

Again, everyone seems to prefer color. 5x7"

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:40:06 PM EST

Fifteenth Birthday

The photo (3x4") was so faded and covered with mold that I really couldn't tell what color the dress was, so I decided it was some shade of blue. Later she told me it was yellow, so I made one of each.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:51:02 PM EST
This photo of my wife's grandmother and her children was in excellent shape to begin with.  I decided to try my hand at digital coloring - my first.  I like the B&W but most relatives liked the colored version.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:55:28 PM EST
I prefer the black and white too.

by LEP on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 03:00:26 PM EST

Town Plaza at Christmas

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 02:58:11 PM EST
And then, when the FIFTH red car appeared outside our apartment, we really started to freak out!... at least the wife did...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 05:22:43 PM EST
... and note that the portable toilet was in on the conspiracy...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 14th, 2007 at 05:25:03 PM EST

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 05:56:19 PM EST
Is this Paddy?  Reminds me of hours sat on top of a horse in the winter with frozen toes and fingertips, watching my dad looking miserable on a bench.  I loved learning how to ride though, even though I usually got the grumpiest pony, called Hamish.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 06:21:14 PM EST
well, when i wasn't riding i was walking so not to freeze to death-

yup that's paddy, i thought you'd be happy to see him again, i haven't showed him off here for a while..he's building a lot of muscle and is getting a bit more salty, as in nippy...

he doesn't get so much attention living at the stables as he does at home.

could be the cold, too.

he settled down once we started working, and did a good job.

my teacher says horses nip each other in affection.

what do you say, colman?

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 07:04:52 PM EST
They'll certainly groom each other quite roughly, to our eyes, but "nip" isn't the word I'd use to describe it - it sounds like something done with the intent of causing pain. It's the difference between massaging someone's neck strongly and pinching them ...

Of course, a horse grooming you with his teeth is going to feel like being bitten, because we don't have a nice thick coat of hair to protect us!

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sun Dec 16th, 2007 at 07:17:34 AM EST
He's a strong little boy, isn't he?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sun Dec 16th, 2007 at 07:18:36 AM EST
Excellent as always

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sat Dec 15th, 2007 at 08:46:13 PM EST