Workers of the World...... are Uniting.

by ManfromMiddletown Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 10:41:32 AM EST

This is a story that has sadly been missed by the media.  We all know that corporations and capital are increasingly beyond the control of any one nation. Because corporations are allowed to move operations out of one country and to another if they think that playing by the rules of the game in a country are too onerous (and still export back to that country.  So thought they are unwilling to play by the rules, they are still allowed to play the game.)  Because of this, labor as a force in the global economy is on the wane.

One of the principal reasons for labor's decline has been the inability to organize globally encompassing unions that are able to simultaneously strike in order to disrupt corporations global operations.  This may be changing.  Workers of the world are uniting.

Boeing Co. workers around the world now have a new and stronger voice to deal with the multinational aerospace giant with the formation last week of the Global Union Alliance.

The new alliance is made up of the Machinists (IAM)--which represent about 40,000 Boeing workers in the United States and Canada--and unions from five other nations where Boeing has major production facilities.

On New Year's Eve of last year, 5 global unions announced plans to form a new international union that would coordinate efforts across national borders.  Amicus, the UK's largest private sector union, Germany's IG Metall, and two of the United States largest industrial unions, the Steelworkers and the Metalworkers.

If this keeps up 2007, may be remembered as the year the international labor was first organized into a coalition to combat the actions of multinational corporations.

I like hearing this kind of news...I sure hope it happens!

by whataboutbob on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:20:57 PM EST
Good news! I always saw thinking in national terms as a central failure of social democracy.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 02:12:58 PM EST
I've been studying codetermination and works councils for a class.  I reluctantly have to acknowledge that you are right about the historical basis of the German social market.

But....

I still think that there would never have been the turn towards democratization in the social market structures if not for the US occupation.  Even though the US occupation opposed codetermination.

And I'll give my consent to any government that does not deny a man a living wage-Billy Bragg

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 03:36:21 PM EST
democratization in the social market structures

Could you write more about that?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 04:27:04 PM EST
In May.

I'm tied up with graduate school.

The good thing is that I've realized that I really like political economy, and that it's a field I can do well in at my university.

They've got a program that would allow me to leave with a PhD in Political Science and a Masters in Economics. But I first have to make it through the first year.  And that means I have to get to writing.

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 07:45:37 PM EST
After the creation of the International Trade Union Confederation, this is very good news! Thanks, MfM!

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 04:57:30 PM EST
ITUC-CSI-IGB - International Trade Union Confederation - Founding of the PERC gives hope to European workers

Founding of the PERC gives hope to European workers

Brussels, 19 March 2007:

The Pan-European Regional Council (PERC) of the ITUC has been set up today at a Founding Assembly in Rome, Italy, fifty years after Treaty of Rome which started processes of European integration was signed. The creation of the PERC is a result of a resolution adopted at the ITUC Founding Congress last November in Vienna. In line with the PERC Constitution, John Monks, General Secretary of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC), will serve as its General Secretary while Mikhail Shmakov, President of FNPR Russia, has been elected as the President of the Council.

According to the Constitution adopted today, the PERC will work to promote the strategies, priorities and policies of the ITUC and will seek to contribute to social development, the consolidation of democracy and to respect for human and workers' rights in the region. Promotion of trade union action, and representation of workers' interests through the strengthening of the trade union movement and support for bilateral and multilateral cooperation, will be central objectives of the Council.

In order to promote social dialogue, decent work and the European social model across the entire continent, the PERC will cooperate closely with the ETUC. The PERC consists of 87 national centers affiliated to the ITUC representing more than 85 million members of the continent, from Lisbon to Vladivostok.

by Melanchthon on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 at 05:04:01 PM EST
To the workers of the world I offer Globalization Grease.  Are you not tired of watching you hard efforts gain you nothing due to the effects of globalization?  Well, we can't claim to make globalization go away but next time you have to bend over and take that globalization shaft, you know where, at least the grease may help.
by Lasthorseman on Sat Apr 7th, 2007 at 09:29:23 AM EST