by An American in London
Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 08:10:43 AM EST
From the diaries (with title edit), an opinion of a community member - what are yours? ~ whataboutbob
I saw the debate last night and came away from it with different opinions of each candidate.
The most extreme impressions of both candidates are Segolene is a wonderful, decent person who is totally incompetent and whose fallback position in any economic policy dispute is 'let management and the unions negotiate and hopefully there will be a satisfactory outcome but I have no concrete proposals'.
Sarkozy struck me as middle level executive whose would be thrilled if he could have economic growth for the top 5% of the French people regardless of how the lives of the other 95% of the people were impacted negatively. Anotherwards he has been indoctrinated to a neocon philosophy now wreaking havoc in the US and the UK, two countries he is proud to hold up as examples of fine economic policy.
I thought Segolene made a big mistake by not showing what Sarkozy's policies would do to the French way of life by showing what economic growth in the US and the UK have done to decimate much of those countries' standard of living for the vast majority of their people.
She should have pointed out how the UK has the highest amount of children living in poverty amongst the OECD countries and the US have growth which benefits only the top 5% of the population. In the US 1/10th of 1 %-300,000 people earn more than 150 million people-the lowest 50% of the population. In addition the US has a high rate of infant mortality and a failing healthcare system. She should have pointed out what Sarkozy is proposing would only benefit the rich and put France at risk.
If France wants a 'Mussolini' who gives the impression the trains will run on time-meaning I can create growth then they will vote him in. If France wants a decent,caring person who will hopefully have competent advisors because she gives the impression she isn't competent; they will vote for her.