Collaborative tools

by ThatBritGuy Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 10:57:14 AM EST

I'd like to suggest some, but I'm having the busiest week of the year here so far, and it looks like I'm going to be somewhat distracted for the next week or two.

Sorry.

However - as a side thread to ET-TVTM perhaps we can use this as a space to talk about what's available and/or secure, and settle on something that can be used for future off-line project work.

I would imagine something with some or all of these features, as a minimum:

One or more forum coordinators to facilitate each project

Access limited to specific individuals on a per-project basis, with an option to open discussions later

A permanent (searchable?) record of discussions for use as a reference

Possibly document prep with a change log, and open access for docs that have been signed off

A teleconf feature for live discussions

I have in mind an environment that works for formal papers, media projects, and general - er - I suppose we're going to have to call it consultancy, won't we?

Does something like this exist? What tools are out there already? Is there anything else needed in the way of features? Could some patchwork solution be put together from other tools?

And those kinds of questions - moreso than answers at the moment, but I hope this diary can turn up some of those.

Any ideas?

Good that you raise this.

Other aspects are that:

• All subjects should be launched publicly in ET to identify potential participants.
  • Progress reports issued (that may be expected to limit the amount of commercial or other sensitive information)
  • There is a conclusion report - which may, for instance, be an ET policy document intended for public release or the completion of a deal on a commercial project etc.

The principle being that all ETers should know what is going on, even if the details are concealed or offline. (There have been quite a few projects that have gone back and forth in emails)

I have to go back to my SOS notes on the research to come up with software examples.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:20:51 AM EST
We've discussed these needs in the past (no time now to go back and serach, sorry!) But certainly we need to discuss them again and see what's feasible. Collaboration in the threads here quickly runs up against limits and is public. Emails are cumbersome and subject to occasional delays and glitches.

An efficient change log for document preparation seems very necessary in view of our past experience with version conflicts. Live discussion by teleconf would no doubt increase collective creativity and help avoid textual misunderstandings as well as saving time.

Whether something exists out there that will do all this for free... I'm not sure. But it's worth looking.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:47:09 AM EST
At the risk of reposting the well-known, do you mean solutions like these?

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake
by talos (mihalis at gmail dot com) on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 01:29:49 PM EST
Excellent - that's a good list to get started with.

Has anyone tried any of these?

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 05:56:43 PM EST
Nope, but Zope-based solutions are in there, see Migeru below.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jun 14th, 2007 at 01:59:37 AM EST
I won't settle ;-P for anything less than Zope. Nuxeo CPS or Plone are well-known state-of-the-art applications built on it.

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 at 06:27:11 PM EST