An attempt at diary w/ pix

by NearlyNormal Sat Aug 4th, 2007 at 09:31:34 AM EST

I've long promised a diary about traveling the Western US on motorcycle.  I've had the lame excuse that I don't know how to post pix inside, so I'm trying to drop the excuse and try some pix.  Wish I had a grandkid around to help.  Colman to the Rescue.  Thanks.

The following photos were taken on a couple of different trips across the Desert Southwest and the classic "old west" of the US.  That is why some of the dates don't match up.  On these motorcycle trips I was primarily accompanied by my Dad, My brother Chip, and my long time friend Mike Springer.

This is the field down the road from my house, I always go by it leaving, it doesn't always have a rainbow, Mayacamas mountains in the background:

From the diaries with an edit - afew

Once you get across the central valley you get into the Sierra Foothills, when I can I like to stop at my favorite swimming hole, Bridgeport Park near Grass Valley-When I was in my 20's this was the hippy hangout and clothing optional, now it is "incorporated" and much more staid now, though the idea of all us that used to go there being nekkid isn't a pretty idea.

North off Interstate 80 into Southwestern Wyoming

Dad and his Harley "Old Blue" near the lodge at the Teton National Park

Teton Range looking from the North East along the Snake River just south of Yellowstone

With Mike at Loveland Pass Colorado, this is the way the road used to run for everybody, now the Eisenhower tunnel cuts this part of the trip out.  This was seriously f'ing cold, but it got worse.

More to come, but here is a shot of Chicago I took when my daughter was getting married, this is near where Jerome and the rest of the Kos people are congregating.

Thanks again Colman for the photo help.

Whew!  Going into court for a while, I'll check in when I come out and then later at home.  Y'all are probably asleep by now though.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man...'" Robbie Robertson
by NearlyNormal on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 06:47:48 PM EST

Rainbows are always nice, but those Tetons are truly (to use a much overused word in the US :-)) awesome. I almost feel like visiting the US again:-)

Thanks for this.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:30:05 PM EST
Thanks, Now that I know how to work this I'll do a couple of series on my motorcycle trips across the west with Dad.  He's arriving tonight, and will be here for a week then headed off on "Old Blue" cross country again.  Not bad for 78, I hope I'm still up for it by then.

by NearlyNormal on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:36:55 PM EST
Thank you!  The photos are gorgeous -- I'm glad you got the pic-posting figured out.

So in the Loveland Pass photo, is one of the guys you?

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:41:48 PM EST
I'm on the right of the picture, in the leather.  We were in snow soon thereafter.

by NearlyNormal on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 09:25:37 PM EST
I thought that was you -- it's always good to put faces with the names, thanks!

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 at 10:43:15 PM EST
Its better now, with digital, cause you don't have to worry about using your film, just keep shooting.  I've got lots of lovely pictures of sky, tires, and unidentifiable stuff.  But sometimes it works out.

by NearlyNormal on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 09:35:18 AM EST
I've got lots of lovely pictures of sky, tires, and unidentifiable stuff.

I took a lot of pictures of little sand turds left behind by the receding tide on a beach.

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 09:51:10 AM EST
Well today I have been transitioning between being a one cat household to being a four cat household. so expect pictures of Kittens shortly.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 09:59:28 AM EST
I've got four cats, three of whom are sisters, none of whom like each other.  What a pain, and I thought it would be so easy.

by NearlyNormal on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 03:06:20 PM EST

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 05:13:23 PM EST
of Spanish culinary concoction.

Probably regarded as great fare by the elites and haute bourgeoisie there.

Hope it's served with a salad.

Else the priviledged spics might get scurvy.

"When the abyss stares at me, it wets its pants." Brian Hopkins

by EricC on Mon Aug 6th, 2007 at 04:13:55 AM EST
Great stuff, and stunning scenery.  My sister is a biker, but never takes enough photos for me!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 02:28:59 AM EST
I'll be in the grass valley area next weekend for a rave-y party.

I love those "corn-cob" condos in Chicago. Even with all the fantastic architecture in the city they manage to get into my top five.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 at 06:12:34 PM EST
Nice pictures, NN! Makes us want to ride with you... Thanks!

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Sat Aug 4th, 2007 at 09:58:15 AM EST
Really nice pics, NN. Hope you'll soon post more!

(BTW, I reduced the size of the rainbow pic and put it on the ET server so it would load faster for the front page. I hope you don't mind!)

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Aug 4th, 2007 at 05:35:22 PM EST
Hey, thanks afew, I'll be posting some more from the trips across the west, and some from around California in the next couple of weeks, I'm heading out again for a short run into Nevada and Utah next week with Dad and my brother who is headed this way from Indiana monday.

by NearlyNormal on Sat Aug 4th, 2007 at 06:23:36 PM EST