by Jerome a Paris
Mon Jan 14th, 2008 at 07:13:20 AM EST
This may sound like petty gloating, but given how much the reverse argument has been used to promote the neoliberal, deregulating, finance-focused economic agenda, this is worth flogging again and again:
UK slips behind France on economy
The size of the British economy has slipped below that of France for the first time since 1999 thanks to the slide in the value of the pound.
The US, Japan, Germany, China and France all had larger economies than the UK in the third quarter of 2007 – and in 2006.
The figures represented a “political economic cataclysm” for Britain, said Martin Weale, the director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, who noted that the UK government often boasted of Britain’s being the fourth largest economy.
Just like the UK economy being bigger than France's was an obvious sign of the superiority of the UK-promoted economic model ("markets provide"), thus its shrinking size today should be seen as a most conclusive sign that this was a temporary phenomenon and that statist, socialist governments are more successful.
Previous "Anglo Disease" content:
- Anglo Disease - Wall St's solution: the Bush way by Jerome a Paris on January 3rd, 2008
- The FT worries about the Anglo Disease by Jerome a Paris on December 10th, 2007
- Anglo Disease: Optimism and Dismay in the Narrative byJerome a Paris on December 8th, 2007
- Rewriting economic history by Jerome a Paris on December 3rd, 2007
- Anglo Disease: LQD - the Economist is worried by Jerome a Paris on December 1st, 2007
- Anglo Disease - early signs of hangover generate denial by Jerome a Paris on November 22nd, 2007
- Anglo Disease: Dollar Dump & Boom-n-Bust by Jerome a Paris on October 30th, 2007
- Anglo Disease: hangover in Manhattan by Migeru on October 15th, 2007
- Anglo Disease fever by Jerome a Paris on August 28th, 2007
- Anglo Disease - Fools and Bourses by ChrisCook on July 9th, 2007
- Anglo Disease watch (5) - just break the thermometer and all is well by Jerome a Paris on July 5th, 2007
- Anglo Disease watch (4) - No industry is vital - except finance by Jerome a Paris on July 4th, 2007
- The Anglo Disease (3) - an introduction for non-economists by Jerome a Paris on June 24th, 2007
- Anglo-Disease Sidelights (1): UK = Tax Haven by afew on June 22nd, 2007
- Anglo Disease (2) - Martin Wolf's take by Jerome a Paris on June 19th, 2007
- The Anglo Disease - Financiers worried about end of great bull run by Jerome a Paris on June 18th, 2007