Paris meet-up in mid-April or early May.

by paul spencer Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:42:37 AM EST

As mentioned yesterday, I'll be in Paris April 10 - 13 and, again, May 1 - 5; but, realistically, I may not be available on the boundary dates. Looks like Redstar may be there on April 12, and others have expressed interest in getting together. Migeru suggested a poll to establish best date(s), so please see below.

Also, this is a first notice. I'll re-submit this in late March, for those whose plans may evolve.

[ED: added 'any of the above']

Poll
. Saturdays: April 11/May 3 0%
. Sundays: April 12/May 4 0%
. All of the above 16%
. None of the above 16%

Votes: 12
Results | Other Polls
I'm tentatively in for the 12th or 13th.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:24:13 AM EST
Pardon my ignorance but is this is a kind of an open invite to an ET meet?
by The3rdColumn on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 05:08:43 PM EST

I think we're talking about Paris on one of the dates he's got listed. I'm in town the weekends of the 12-13 April and 17-20 April (so far), and London in between, so sort of mentioned it y'day hoping someone might put something together...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 05:24:52 PM EST
Yes - everyone welcome. Jérôme has previously organized a restaurant for the main meeting. You can get advice on hotels and travel nearer the time.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 06:44:14 PM EST
Thanks for the info. That's a great idea -- I will be in Turkey to attend a meet on 1-4 May but 12/13 April in Paris is workable for me. Will have to confirm.
by The3rdColumn on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 07:42:22 PM EST
At the moment I could probably make any of those dates.

Wasn't there supposed to be an any of the above option ?

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:28:28 AM EST
got the ED note, but not the addition to the poll.  HELP! Please.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:41:17 PM EST
I don't think polls can be edited once they have one reply.

In fact, with 5 dates and 30 poll options you can almost have one option for every possible subset of availabilities. Pity.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 05:23:37 AM EST
Imagine that! Admins can edit polls.

But now I would like to change my answer.

Do you have any objections to me deleting the poll and reposting a new one?

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 05:31:12 AM EST
Do you mean those are like the US voting machines... Leaning toward the admin's viewpoint ???? :-)

"What can I do, What can I write, Against the fall of Night". A.E. Housman
by margouillat (hemidactylus(dot)frenatus(at)wanadoo(dot)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 08:09:07 AM EST
Glad that it was my external inability, rather than internal.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:23:24 AM EST
I heard somewhere that September might be another time this year...

by whataboutbob on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:40:32 AM EST
Our child's school is off from the 5 to the 20th of April, and we have a bank holiday on the 5th of May, so for me both proposed weekends work.

My first choice would be May 4, though.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:51:38 AM EST
I'm ok for all those dates at the moment

"It's a mystery to me - the game commences, For the usual fee - plus expenses, Confidential information - it's in my diary..."
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:43:26 PM EST
A Friday isn't very convenient, unless it's in the evening. I'd prefer May 3, because on April 12, I'm with my daughters...

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 01:00:30 PM EST
Unfortunately, I already bought my plane ticket to the U.S. and will be in Washington, D.C. from March 30 until April 21. I'm available anytime after April 27th.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 01:04:13 PM EST
I'll try (whatever the date) but I'm never sure because of work that doesn't go further then a few days in planning !

"What can I do, What can I write, Against the fall of Night". A.E. Housman
by margouillat (hemidactylus(dot)frenatus(at)wanadoo(dot)fr) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 01:08:52 PM EST
I'm in a similar position, I'll know a bit more in the beginning of March or so...
by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 02:45:56 PM EST
Me too. I can't commit for the moment.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 08:36:35 AM EST
This is my case, as well. But I live in Paris and will do my best to be free for an April or May meeting.
by Loefing on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 03:08:25 PM EST
I'm tentatively in - depends a bit on projects, which I won't know till nearer the time since my confirmed calendar only runs about 4 -5 weeks ahead. The ronin's life alas....

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 03:10:03 PM EST
I prefer vikings, because they (allegedly) sang on their way into battle.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 03:53:29 PM EST
Ronin, in that I'm paid to fight loyally, but I have a moral code of my own, which includes aesthetic considerations.

I prefer the Australian Aborigine practice of singing on their way to a sacred site because if they don't sing, it won't be there when they arrive.

The Vikings sang somewhat in the manner of football crowds - liquored up, tribal and expecting vioence.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 04:04:06 PM EST
OK - I'm mostly for the Australo-aborigine practice. But, when going into battle, I still like to sing - granted that it's mostly been "We Shall Overcome".

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 04:10:05 PM EST
where are you? Quit lurking long enough to let me know if we can meet up in Italy - roughly April 24 - 28. I can probably find your place in Umbria with directions.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 03:55:28 PM EST
By the way, Paul, when you go from Firenze to Umbria, take sometime to visit San Gimignano. It's situated here, between Firenze and Siena, and it's really worth the trip.

by Melanchthon on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 04:41:27 PM EST
My daughter-in-law has relatives in Siena, so we may well be headed there, too.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 05:38:58 PM EST
Great city, great history, beautifully located - and harbours one of the best icecream shops I've ever had the pleasure to come across.

If you're an M. C. Escher fan, doubly recommended. One may find some scenes in San Gimignano that are eerily reminiscent.

by Nomad on Thu Jan 31st, 2008 at 06:21:53 PM EST
Thanks for the angle. I will schedule the side-trip for sure now.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:26:36 AM EST
God, that looks good.
As I write this in Paris, it's raining and six degrees out there. My cat is sitting looking forlornly out her cat door- and it's just as crappy out there as it was the last three times  she tried it.

But she is a serious collector, and bravely ventured out earlier, and brought home a treasure--a soggy parking ticket.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 04:30:35 AM EST
If the " any of the above" should arrive, I'll pick that one.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 04:24:10 AM EST
Ivonne has informed me that the 12th will work better for us-- it's school vacation time, and we wanted to take a trip somewhere on the boat. Vacation starts the 21st- we will be gone, God willing.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 04:50:22 AM EST
I'll help organise and coordinate as necessary.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 05:00:20 AM EST
I'll be based in St. Cloud (sp?). Other than that, in the words of Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing!".

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:29:38 AM EST
Heh....my home town!

I'll either be in the 8th near Place Clichy, the 19th by the Buttes or the 12th by Vincennes.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:36:42 AM EST
So many girlfriends ????

"What can I do, What can I write, Against the fall of Night". A.E. Housman
by margouillat (hemidactylus(dot)frenatus(at)wanadoo(dot)fr) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 04:48:26 PM EST
I wish!

No, so much family, all the cute ones married too.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 05:09:01 PM EST
Can't make those dates this year, but we'll most likely be in that part of the world in September.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Feb 1st, 2008 at 06:50:09 AM EST
I seem to be free so far for all those dates, but things crop up so I'd need to confirm closer to the time.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Feb 6th, 2008 at 11:43:55 AM EST