Early Friday Photography Blog No.57

by In Wales Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 06:36:34 AM EST

It's time for the Early Friday Photoblog again.
Photobucket

front-paged by afew

It's been a chaotic few weeks in Wales.  I've barely been in.  But, have camera, will travel. Or perhaps will travel, have camera is slightly more accurate.

The blog is in three parts this week - one for "Ask the Expert" about anything you like, composition, technical things and so on.

Second is "Injection of fun" cos in this time of misery and crunching credits, falling stocks and other terrible ailments of humanity we could do with a splash of colour and fun, and as usual, all categories are open to interpretation.

The usual final part is for "Photos As Usual", whatever you want to post.

Please try to keep to 600 pixels width and less than 100kb in file size and take a look at Wednesday Photography Blog No.2 for the technical bits on how to post. Please reply under one of the headers and not directly to this diary.

Here is the Master list of previous photoblogs, which really needs updating... sorry.

Please enjoy!

"Ask the Expert"
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:44:36 PM EST
I'm trying to keep costs down, can't mount in frames and hang on the wall so how I can I present a photo exhibition that will be quick and easy to put up and take down? It isn't going to look massively professional but... there are constraints.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 06:05:16 PM EST
l generally use frameless gallery clips and foam core backing board...or do an inexpensive  dry mount w/ a white mat if you have a mat cutter and access to a d.m. press...add an inexpensive piece of glass that you can get at any glass supplier/glazier [skip the anti-reflective stuff for a temporary installation and ask for "polished edges"] and then put them together with frameless clips, such as one of these from lion.

it's about as cheap as you can get and it will make an very effective presentation if thought out. additionally, if you sell any, the buyer can then do a frame to their taste. plus, you can reuse the clips, glass, etc., for your next show.

good luck w/ the exhibition, l'm certain it'll be well received as you have a very good eye.

by town on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 09:31:28 PM EST
In addition to town`s advice, I sometimes use easels.
They are collapsable, & when in that configuration are no bigger than a retracted umbrella in it`s sheath. The are modeled along the lines of collapsable tent frames, where a little tug allows the sections to snap into a rigid leg.
Three legs pivot (3 sections per leg) out & lock.
Two height adjustable clips (sliding, friction) support the work.
They assemble in 4 secs (if you`re all thumbs).
I "inherited" two boxes of them (20)& have used them in static presentations. IOW`s, I set them up with images of the subject & people can visit the actual sites portrayed in the images.
 At different locations around the site, I might have a few more images on rigid foam boards, exactly as town describes, [explaining some of the features], also mounted on these easels.

The difference between theists and atheists is that the atheists don't set the theists on fire for refusing to agree with them.
by Knucklehead on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 02:09:34 AM EST
Music stands? Might be easier to borrow lots from somewhere.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 07:22:19 AM EST
My new Bessa R3A. 35mm film rangefinder, M-mount and framelines for my favourite lenses. With a 50/2 on it.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 07:20:59 AM EST
Oh,and aperture priority mode and a hot-shoe. It's as if it's the 21st century!
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 07:42:33 AM EST
Well, hello there!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 09:26:06 AM EST
Beautiful!

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 11:22:12 PM EST
"Injection of fun"
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:45:02 PM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:53:07 PM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:55:04 PM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:57:32 PM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 06:02:01 PM EST
Photobucket

Not sure if this is fun or scary...

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 06:03:37 PM EST
melbourne bicycle band

click to enlarge

by town on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 09:40:16 PM EST
This is the guy behind the whole financial crisis! I caught him nibbling (well gulping) my stock accounts the other day.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:13:05 PM EST
This cat reminds me of a girl I once knew. The same eyes!

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:15:09 PM EST

Taken in Dubrovnik this summer.

by olivia on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:02:07 AM EST
What's the English for eyes of different colours in people or animals? We say des yeux vairons in French.

You're clearly a dangerous pinko commie pragmatist.
by Vagulus on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 08:33:12 AM EST
And in the case of the kitties above complete heterochromia, b/c each eye is a different colour [wiki link].

Also called odd-eyed cat.  :-)

by olivia on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 03:18:16 PM EST
Anyone recognize the artist?

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 02:29:00 AM EST
that has to be dale chihuly. he's an amazing artist.
by town on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:54:53 AM EST
Oh, I LOVE Chihuly!

"Pretending that you already know the answer when you don't is not actually very helpful." ~Migeru.
by poemless on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:13:34 PM EST
Correct!

He is amazing...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:51:55 PM EST
Great colours ... and the reflection in the first shot is perfect.
by olivia on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:46:22 PM EST
I liked  his installation at Kew Gardens a few years ago.

Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other. -- Dr Johnson
by melvin (melvingladys at or near yahoo.com) on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 12:46:09 PM EST
This was at the DeYoung in SF, CA.

It was standing room only!

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Mon Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:17:22 AM EST

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 03:55:26 AM EST
by amanda2006 on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 04:18:14 AM EST

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:15:07 AM EST
chickens-text-70521

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 07:25:47 AM EST
cat
more animals

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 07:36:48 AM EST
"Photos as usual"
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:45:26 PM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:47:21 PM EST
you do seem to be rather fond of chimney pots...
by town on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 09:34:11 PM EST
Yes I am!  Perhaps I should build up a chimney pot photo exhibition.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 03:10:11 AM EST
Photobucket

Stratford on Avon

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 05:49:59 PM EST
A visit to the farm. A couple of old tractors, a strange looking cat and voracious goats. So, I had fun with Photoshop's B&W conversion filter.  They were originally red. MY son-in-law says "real men don't ride red tractors."  A John Deere fan, I suppose.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Thu Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:21:14 PM EST
This is the sunset last night.
Title; SUNSET DEBATE
It`s made from 8 shots taken in a "down, up left, down up, left...". in two rows of four.
I then manually merge them together.
This is before I crop the composite image, to eliminate all the white background on which I`d pasted all the images, & the jagged edges.
I always shoot these "hand held", & casually overlap the bottoms/tops, and sides. I usually set the exposure for the center area.
 I also do triple rows, & have done some of up to 30 single row shots.
As a quite simple procedure, the results can be stunning, but the best result is the satisfaction of the end result, good or bad.
It`s always good. I`ve done a tutorial on this, & the people who followed it have proven to themselves how simple it is & have (& still do) surprise me with fabulous shots.
Click the image & check out a larger size.
This is taken from my deck.
 DEBATE MERGE 4X2

by Knucklehead on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 at 02:47:54 AM EST

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 01:27:59 AM EST
Photobucket
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 09:04:25 AM EST
I`m a little late this weekend, so I offer water in lieu of excuses.
Have a great weekend, all.
I will be back to see all the great & strange photos that flashed by as I was posting.
"Water water everywhere, & all the boards did shrink.
Water water everywhere,  & not a drop to drink.
As silent as a painted ship, with neither breath nor motion.
As silent as a painted ship, upon a painted ocean."

The Ancient Mariner

This is water as I love it,  as I live it & as I live from it.

DSCN3432

10X14 2 DSCN9053

BLUE S NOTE flat

DSCN3491

DSCN3459

DSCN3438

Untitled-1

DSCN3386

PLANET BLUE  DSCN3465

DSCN3437

Malibu Waterspout 1- 5258

lobster boat & PELICANS 5409

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 02:41:43 AM EST
You have an endless supply of photographic material there!!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 03:58:26 AM EST
Mostly because there`s an endless supply of things, & moments.
I strive to be everywhere at once.

I shoot images in a more frequent number than I show them, which leaves me with a constant supply for just about any occasion, or any theme.
 I used to challenge people to pick a subject or theme, to see if I had at least one image related to whatever they came up with.
The other thing is that I never go anywhere without at least one camera, & most times, a few. Because of that, I have over two hundred thousand images in my archives & I`ve never learned how to file them properly.
I rely solely on memory, which sometimes scares me a little, when I find folders of images that I`d completely forgotten.
They are stored on 5 external drives totaling over 1500 gigs, so I`m never at a loss for images. The reef images I posted today were taken at 5:00 P.M. today.
Thank you for noticing. Have a nice week end.

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 04:30:05 AM EST
You might enjoy these balloon sculptures

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 05:44:53 AM EST
by olivia on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:31:55 PM EST
I only made the connection because I saw them both on the same day. If they were 5 days apart I'd never find the link again ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:44:33 PM EST
You have an interesting bit of code on your website that appears to detect if a visitor is coming from one of your list of links, and if so, highlighting it.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 06:03:05 PM EST
Sven,
Those sculptures are phenomenal.
It`s amazing that he used to blow them up by hand/mouth.
The ladies in those fabulous balloons, would look beautiful in my cactus gardens. (hah, what a prick.)
Thanks for the link.

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 18th, 2008 at 07:11:43 PM EST
I don't see that ... must be a blogger platform update. Thx for letting me know.
by olivia on Sun Oct 19th, 2008 at 03:08:03 PM EST
Olivia,
I`ll send a screen capture of what I believe Sven is talking about.
 It seems to be a new feature on blogspot.
I just noticed it a few days ago myself.
It gives an accounting of who visits &  where they visit from.

by Knucklehead on Mon Oct 20th, 2008 at 01:33:08 PM EST
Probably a bit of web visitor tracker code that flags a matching incoming against a list of 'approved' addresses.

The visitor tracker is storing every incoming and getting a deal of information on page patterns etc for analysis. The gizmo that puts a light next to the blog you are coming from is presumably only visible to the unique viewer. That doesn't generate any useful data, but it's a kind of friendly handwave to 'special' visitors - imo.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Mon Oct 20th, 2008 at 01:47:14 PM EST
Sven,
I sent Olivia a screen capture of the "data sheet" (mine) & noticed a few things that might be of interest. One photo stands out as having many more views than I would consider normal, judging from the average views of most other images that have many viewers. I also don`t think the image is that "special", that it would generate that kind of traffic.
I was thinking that maybe the image is posted (by someone who took it from my site) on another site that caters to images of that particular subject matter, & links back to my Flickr site.

by Knucklehead on Mon Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:36:27 PM EST
This kind of stuff interests me because I have a client that creates visitor tracking software solutions for small businesses and other clients in ICT. I gave up coding at Pascal in the Devonian era ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken