a couple of personal updates

by Lupin Tue Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:34:58 AM EST

At the end of February, we lost our faithful companion, Maggie, a 12-year-old border collie, to cancer. Remembrance and photos on personal site.

If you live in the Toulouse area, we'll be doing a book signing at the ALBUM bookstore on Saturday, March 29 (not 26!), after 3 p.m. Drop by and say hello!

Commiserations on losing a faithful friend....

....will there be the sound of puppy paws...?

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:59:49 AM EST
We have a second dog, a rescue which we adopted in early 07 and has been of great comfort to us during that trying time.

There's a link to young Shmoo and Maggie cavorting in the fields near our village.

by Lupin on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 03:31:01 AM EST
So sorry to hear about Maggie, whom I met and found was a very nice border collie indeed.

I should be in Toulouse that afternoon, but it's the 29th, not the 26th! I hope to be there for a demonstration against GM crops that will start at the Capitole from 1 pm. I'll drop into the bookshop if I can!

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 at 02:39:10 PM EST
Dropped by your personal site and enjoyed reading it- Comments from another expat are always interesting.

I think a lot about "feelings" these days, and their seemingly reduced role in our discourse and lives.
It seems to me that a combination of things has washed away a lot of the feelings" that once were a part of our lives, and replaced them with a falsely analytical sort of intellectualization that is largely sterile.
In a consumer culture, emotion is a liability, and thus we have an educational system that reifies a "scientific" viewpoint,brushes off the importance of art, music and other frivolously emotional things.
Think of the emotional content of techno---not.

I was touched by your obvious love for your canine friend, and grateful for the opportunity to share it.

We have similar feelings for our 3 feline family members--2, now. Our Black one, "Mure", has the habit of bringing home treasures- not the midnight snacks (semi-live pigeons) that Canelle favors--and stashes under the bed-- but odd treasures, such as these:

-A magnetic refrigerator sign with all the emergency numbers of the 12th arrondisement on it,

-A camera strap, with part of the bag attached,

-A long run of parking tickets, some very new

-Endless bits of foliage and leaves, twigs and things.
She is clearly partial to lurid commercial literature. During the CPE strike,which went right by the Port de Plaisance, she amassed quite a collection of pamphlets and literature from every participating faction, and I have started keeping the stuff just because no one will believe it unless I have the evidence.
Her best was the magnetic sign, but the advert for Karate classes was great.
Her sister, Mason (of Mason-Dixon fame--our fourth cat was Dixon), was the self-appointed babysitter for my two young girls. She died recently. We developed a tiny leak from a radiator in the main head, and it dripped on the floor of the shower. Anti-freeze is a part of the fluid in the heating system. She insisted on drinking out of the shower drain--yes, I know, no accounting for cat taste--  and the tiny drip poisoned her. Long, nasty mystery, which the vet missed completely, but which yielded to some net searching.

Sorry to ramble- nice to hear someone who sees the amthropomorphic fallacy for what it is--bullshit subscribed to by the emotionally broken.
Of course animals show some human traits-- they are'nt human traits, they are LIFE traits.

Living things love.

Things that cannot love are dead things.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 at 07:05:53 PM EST
Thanks for the heartfelt story. Pets can be strange and wonderful.
by Lupin on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 03:35:07 AM EST
Thanks John!

You're right about the date -- I fixed it.

I didn't know about the demonstration. ALBUM is near the Capitole, I gather. I hope it doesn't make it too difficult to get there.

by Lupin on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 03:33:16 AM EST
ALBUM is only a few yards from the Place du Capitole, and there might well be a lot of people. But the square is very big. And I don't know what route the demonstration will take (or if it will simply be a rally in the square).

So the bad news is, expect traffic problems. The better news is, in an anti-GMO crowd, there are likely to be bande dessinée enthusiasts!

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 at 04:07:08 AM EST