Paris meet-up

by paul spencer Sun Mar 30th, 2008 at 09:57:59 PM EST

Looks like May 4 (a Sunday) works best for the largest group.  At this point that seems to include Migeru, Metatone, Cyrille, Melanchthon, LEP, Helen, In Wales, geezer in paris with 'possibles' from Jerome, margouillat, afew, and Loefing. Frank S. and sven have sent their regrets, and The3rdColumn has gone GBCW.

As to where, exactly when, and how to get there, I am the least likely person to decide. My plan is to do what y'all tell me to do.

redstar is the only one who definitely needed an April meet-up date. I'm available on April 11 or 12, if redstar - and others - want to meet for lunch or dinner.

Other than that - give me my marching orders, please.

Given that I'm in somewhat of a pinch income-wise, I would probably have to accept a kind offer to sleep on someone's sofa if I want to go to Paris for more than just a day trip (wink, wink).

Given the short notice to make eurostar reservations, for me to get to Paris on the 11/12 and meet redstar would cost me over 300 pounds, so I'll pass, unfortunately :-(

I can manage the day trip (in early and out late on the 4th of May) for 124 pounds.

Given who is "certain" to attend, maybe LEP and Geezer could propose a plan?

Or are we having lunch at the brasserie under Jérôme's flat, as usual?

It'd be nice if the battle were only against the right wingers, not half of the left on top of that — François in Paris

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 05:47:39 AM EST
Have you checked flights ?

Anyway, I'm happy to lead a short-ish pub crawl if there's any interest. However there's really not that much to gladden the tongue in Paris that won't be more cheaply and plentifully available in Brussels in June(yes I know Brussels is expensive).

So I'll do some research and see if I can find a couple of places that do a range of decent artisinale ales ie small French brewers (I know of one so far) to make a change from the more normal fare.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 07:54:29 AM EST
one good pint is always welcome, but two is my limit. My crawling days are long-gone.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 12:45:46 PM EST
Dinner would be far more convenient than lunch for me (in fact lunch might not be possible at all), but as for hosting you, well yes that would be possible.

Well, technically I'll have to ask my wife but I pretty much know the answer.

Now, from your post I'm not sure whether you'd want that or would rather do a day trip, but at least you'd have the choice.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 07:55:35 AM EST
I just arrived in Washington last night (for 3 weeks), but I'm sure I can find a way to put you up in my Paris place, even if we have to rearrange the furniture.

Are we speaking Saturday dinner and Sunday lunch?

estHer said to me a few months ago that she would like to attend an ET meet up but I'll have to see if that still holds. Adolescents' desires change like the wind.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 09:28:43 AM EST
Could be.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 12:43:08 PM EST
LEP:
Are we speaking Saturday dinner and Sunday lunch?
Can we have some sort of decision on this? I'd like to reserve Eurostar tickets ASAP so they don't get too expensive, and that's a Bank Holiday weekend.

Cyrille said he probably can't make Sunday Lunch. Can he make Saturday Dinner?

Should the plan be Sunday Dinner and Monday Lunch?

Someone please make a decision on the "official" programme soon :-) There can always be side events organised after people say when they're going to arrive and depart Paris.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 06:47:37 AM EST
How are you reserving Eurostar ? All of the cheap-ish tickets are gone.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:06:30 AM EST
I can manage a day trip for 129 quid, 144 for Saturday to Sunday and 194 for Sunday to Monday. But the cheap Sunday morning tickets are nearly all sold out. Which is why.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:23:23 AM EST
I can be available anytime and I can easily find a place if we're not more than 30. I'm thinking of the place where we had last year's Friday meetup, Chez Pradel. The price was very reasonable for a presentable buffet, and the bill only adds up if we consume lot of wine, as we did last year.

Why don't you make the decision Miguel and I can make the arrangements when I get back on the 22nd. I can even call them from here if I can find the phone number.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:48:18 AM EST
Well, we are talking about the first weekend in May, aren't we?

If yes, then it's a 4 days weekend for most (Thursday being bank holiday, everyone will have Friday off).
And I haven't had holidays since the summer, except for a week at Christmas, and my wife has been talking about going somewhere for a weekend for quite a while now. Which is to say we may use the 4 days that way, and frankly I wouldn't veto that. So Saturday dinner would be the same problem as Sunday lunch. OK if we don't leave after all, not OK otherwise.

That said, even if we're away we can host someone so that could save a bit for you Migeru, and definetely we could be back for Sunday dinner, or Monday lunch if it's not too far from where I (and Jérôme) work.

Hope that helps.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 03:57:13 AM EST
for the book fair, would've been easier. i've now back out of that engagement though...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 01:38:52 PM EST
I probably won't be able to join for the May meet-up - other matters call me in Grenoble - but I'm interested in lunch/dinner  for the 11/12 April. (ideally, lunch on the 11th)

Do you know where you'll reside, paul ? And whence the other people joining will come from ?

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères

by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 07:33:56 AM EST
As to others' locations, no idea. I can find my way wherever. Lunch on the 11th sounds OK to me. I'm liable to be at The Louvre on that day, so something in that area would probably work best for me. I'm hoping to hear from redstar in that regard, too.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 12:38:57 PM EST
i'm shooting to meet up with you all in may instead, i've cancelled the london bookfair trip.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 03:09:22 PM EST
linca and I are getting together for lunch on April 11 in the vicinity of The Louvre. Anybody else who cares to join up, please sign up.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:23:14 AM EST
Are you going to be out in St. Cloud also on May 3-5?

I'm thinking of updating the diary with everyone's arrondissement and time or arrival/departure, so we can plan various gatherings.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 at 02:54:54 AM EST
what dates will you be in central italy, paul?

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 07:54:40 AM EST
Siena April 27, 28. Again, I can arrange to go further. What's it looking like for you?

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 12:41:12 PM EST
siena is about 1 3/4 hrs from me, we could meet halfway, maybe at rapolano terme, or if you want to stay a night, there is an amazingly lovely hotel called 'l'amorosa' where i used to work. it's at sinalunga, here is the website http://www.amorosa.it/

my work leads me to some extremely fine hotels, but this is the finest, and the staff also are very good.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 07:43:34 PM EST
for visiting you in your bailiwick. I will check out the amorosa, but we'll at least make the day-trip. You have my e-mail address? If so, can you send your phone number? Supposedly, my phone is going to work in Europe. If not, I will be checking e-mails while there.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:26:31 AM EST
did you get the email? i sent you details for rail access, if your cell doesn't work here you can always call from a bar, or a call booth, (tho' these are becoming extinct!).

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 09:48:04 AM EST
eeek, I'm having real problems booking even a plane (eurostar no chance). Fly in on Friday and fly out monday. Could be pretty damn expensive for hotels (unless the already heavily booked floors are available) and I really can't afford that.

But, if I come, anybody able to come out and play (food and drink) friday and saturday night ?

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 01:08:10 PM EST
I had an unexpected expenditure this month which has used up money I had reserved for Paris.  Even if I only stay one night the eurostar alone is close to £200, which is fairly steep.

have you come across any bargains or good hotel deals?

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 06:27:08 AM EST
No can do. Even a flight is coming in at £130 - £150 now and that's staying 3 nights, Fri - Sun.

I think I'm gonna have to back out cos, until I sell my flat, I haven't got much cash available and, given the short notice, this is an expenditure I simply can no longer afford.

I'll still be in Brussels but this is either/or.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:10:03 AM EST
Except that we don't have enough people (15 minimum) to visit the Commission and without that there's no point having a Brussels meetup (well, the Eurostar is cheaper).

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:18:25 AM EST
Do you still need 3 more for the Brussels meet up?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:46:05 AM EST
I still need 6 of the 12 confirmed attendees to reply to my e-mail about personal data for the application.

Realistically you'd need 17 to allow for a 10% late cancellation and still have 15.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:10:20 AM EST
If Brussels is out, then I'm still in schtook.

however InWales says she wants to come, you wants to come. How about Saturday to Monday and drive down in my car ?

It's a 450 mile round trip, which is approx £80. the ferry return is approx £80.

split three ways is almost affordable. Hotels for two nights

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:49:52 AM EST
If your car sits four and a half, Barbara and Jonathan would come, too. It becomes more affordable for you and InWales.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:09:14 AM EST
It's an estate car, so if you and InWales want to have a fight about who sits in the front, it's a deal.

Room for luggage in the back. Be economical about it tho'.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:12:44 AM EST
I'll talk to Barbara about it later today.

We'd need two nights' logding, or we could go camping :-P

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:24:35 AM EST
So long as Jonathan doesn't bite, I don't mind sitting in the back or the front.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:07:12 AM EST
Actually, it seems Barbara will be busy most of the weekend. But I might bring Jonathan along anyway.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:08:44 AM EST
Can I have a decision from both of you soon please ? I'll need to book the ferry asap.

InWales, when will you travel to Lodnon ? Friday night or Sat morning. Obviously the earlier you arrive, the earlier we can set off. although it's only 220 miles, crossing the channel takes a big bite out of timing and I'd like a lazy mid to late afternoon arrival in Paris so's I can get settled.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:36:42 AM EST
Where in London would I need to get myself to and what time ferry would you ideally like to get?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:38:38 AM EST
You'll arrive in Paddington.

If on Saturday, go to Miguel's in Leyton (details later) as I'll be picking him up there.
If on Friday you might as well come to my parents then we'll go to Mig's in the morning.

More or less the same timing.

I'd really like to be on a morning ferry if poss, but I guess if you come over on Saturday it's 3 hours from Cardiff before you hit the tube, so early afternoon will be the best we can do.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:48:08 AM EST
I could get to Paddington for 9.17 (providing there are not track repairs and bus replacements). Megabus site won't work for me at the moment.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:06:27 AM EST
That'd put you at Migs just before 11:00.

Which'd mean a 2:00 sailing (assuming there is one) which'd mean 4:00 leave Calais. Arriving in Paris about 6:00. Yes, I appreciate these are worst case timings and the threat of engineering works is a real and serious threat over a bank holiday, but anything could wreck these and make them much worse whilst very little is likely to improve them.

Can you come Friday ?

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:27:50 AM EST
That's all rather horrible.  I probably can come over on the friday although I may not arrive until late. I forget where you live/your nearest station?
Alternative is to stay with a friend/family member in London and leave for Leyton early morning from there.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:42:17 AM EST
You can stay with us on Friday - that's not a problem.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:45:16 AM EST
If you are sure, that would probably be a good solution.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:00:07 PM EST
Oh, I am. You're one of very few active UK ETers who haven't been over :-P

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:03:25 PM EST
ok, thank you!  In that case all that remains is finding a cheap park bench for Paris nights. I've been hindered by a tempermental net connection at work in searching for B&B's hotels etc.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:11:09 PM EST
I'm guessing I can leave Jonathan in Geezer's boat for a couple of nights... Geezer?

We could also camp outside Paris...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:15:22 PM EST
Youth hostels, maybe?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:18:14 PM EST
Yes youth hostels suit me fine. Quick look shows it won't come to more than 43 euro for the two nights, per person.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:35:44 PM EST
Book early, May 5th is in the middle of one of the famed French long weekends (Thursday is Labor day, many are taking Friday off, some will come touring in Paris) ; and it's in the middle of a two-weeks school vacation...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:46:11 PM EST
Actually, I'm most likely going to be back then as well, interviewing. Have to bring the cats down south too in advance of everyone coming.

Call me 75% in, let me know and I'll line things up for the week before and stick around for that weekend. (Too bad nothing planned Saturday though...)

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 01:14:03 PM EST
If you're going to be there that weekend we might want to have a meeting on the side with Paul. Would Saturday or Monday be best for that? I'd basically plan to stay in Paris for one night.

Also, nothing may be planned for Saturday now, but even if the "central event" is on Sunday there will be people in Paris the day before and after and other outings and get-togethers do get organised for those who are around.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 at 06:43:42 AM EST
as to times and days/nights (2nd, 3rd, 4th, that is). So the decisions really need to be made by the people who are most constrained.

I'm sorry that I can't offer housing, but the May part of my trip is based at the apartment of in-laws, and I can't trespass on their hospitality.

paul spencer

by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:33:44 AM EST
Yup, agreed, but I may have to head back down to Marseille at some point on Sunday because it looks like I'm flying out of marignane on Monday. So, Saturday stuff is best in my book.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 01:05:07 PM EST
It looks like Helen is driving InWales and me into Paris on Saturday evening and we're leaving early on Monday morning. It would be great if we could arrange for Saturday dinner somewhere.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 01:17:51 PM EST
As soon as I have my travel plans finalized...you'll have to decide what you want to eat. I'll probably be staying in the 8th near Clichy, there's a real good Moroccan restuarant just off the Batignoles square that I've been craving for about a year...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 01:21:34 PM EST
ETA in Paris is before 7:00. I think it would be unrealistic for anything to happen much before 9:00 due to getting organised. I'm likely to be in a hotel in the 13th and will have to crosstown. I believe Mig and InWales will be better placed so I may have to see you after you've started.

I'm no fan of falafel, but step away from the hummous.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 05:37:45 AM EST
It's moroccan: probably more likely to have cous-cous.

I haven't had moroccan since 1998 in Lisbon, I think.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 07:33:10 AM EST
No worries, any cuisine with lamb in it will find favour with me.

Keep me updated with what's happening please, like where the restaurant is cos, as I say, I'll probably be late.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 07:52:07 AM EST
If you guys are going to be in the 13th, I can be in the 13th too, just off Vincennes metro Porte Doree. That's one of my options for staying in Paris anyhow.

If metro Raspail (14th) is closer, that's the other.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 09:54:27 PM EST
but the good couscous is in the 8th...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 09:54:47 PM EST
Vincennes and Porte Dorée sound like the 12th, not 13th...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:46:45 PM EST
yeah that's right. i got the 13th surrounded though.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:54:44 PM EST
To go to the 13th it is better to be in Raspail, though, as it is on line 6 with crosses the arrondissement. and you get vastly better metro access to the rest of Paris ...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 at 05:45:53 AM EST
definitely true.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:10:44 AM EST
Question for the natives: is Paris more or less friendly to infants than dogs?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Mar 31st, 2008 at 01:47:19 PM EST
Migeru, InWales and I will arrive sometime around 7:00 Saturday evening. What with sorting ourselves out I doubt we'll be out to play in the centre of town (I think we're staying out near Clichy) much before 21:00.

No time on Monday I'm afraid, InWales has a long journey home so we'll start early.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 09:27:48 AM EST
InWales and I are staying at a Youth Hostel in the 20th Arrondissement. Jonathan is staying in Geezer's boat in the 12th. Now we need to find Helen a hotel... Any suggestions of hotels in the 12th? The limiting factor seems to be the availability of parking. However, I suppose if reasonably-priced long-term parking is available in the vicinity, any hotel would do?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:19:47 AM EST
I've been out of touch for a few days because of jet lag and because I bought a new laptop and spent a day setting it up. Can someone a recap of what's happening? Am I needed to do anything like arrange a room in which to gather.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:36:46 PM EST
I'm officially in guys, just let me know the details so I know which cousin to tell them I'm using their couch.

Will be coming up from Marseille probably Thursday for Friday interviews in (I think) Jerome's neighborhood in the 16th, don't fly back out until the following Tuesday from Marinane (tentatively) so will be around all Sunday as well.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 at 06:23:26 PM EST
Excellent news!

When the capital development of a country becomes a by-product of the activities of a casino, the job is likely to be ill-done. — John M. Keynes
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Apr 6th, 2008 at 05:21:04 PM EST