Container gardening on a windowsill

by willem vancotthem Thu Jun 12th, 2008 at 09:38:40 AM EST

Mrs. Heidi HOUGH from Chicago has sent me the following message : "I've got some cool-weather greens growing in plastic boxes (with drainage holes) up on our second-story window sills. Arugula, spinach, chard, French breakfast radish, and lettuces. I like to eat them right out of the box (like a grazing animal--I am shameless)". I also received Heidi's magnificent pictures of her "windowsill garden". I believe that just a look at them will convince a lot of people to follow this splendid example, showing how simple and easy it is to produce fresh food in and around the house, even on a windowsill in a city like Chicago.  Therefore, I posted her message and pictures on my blog : http://containergardening.wordpress.com/

More on urban agriculture - diary rescue by Migeru

On May 5th I posted on that same blog the following message :

"Some weeks ago I discovered that people in Chicago were growing plants in buckets. Bruce FIELDS, Heidi HOUGH and their friends developed a very interesting system. I asked them to receive more information on it and to be enabled to publish some of their marvellous pictures. Heidi came up with a splendid solution : THEIR FLICKR PAGE. Here is her message :

"I have finally set to order my flickr page. I hope this helps you and others see how we set up our growing buckets. You may freely use any of my pictures at your site.

Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1904grg/sets/72157603959350377/

We are excited that it could be useful to people whose water supply is not as bountiful as our own, 20 blocks from Lake Michigan.

Heidi Hough & Associates Inc
1904 W Division
Chicago IL 60622

Text going with the Flickr Page :

"Our homemade earthboxes--really earthbuckets--were created from food-grade buckets we had left over from the leaky roof years. We've shown a very rudimentary step-by-step series on how to build these buckets. This link is far more comprehensive: www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Here's a good video that shows the process:

Art built the trellis, which worked beautifully for tying up the climbing cukes and tomatoes. With neighbor Bruce down the street in Wicker Park, Chicago, we had a lot of fun during this first year growing veggies on our rooftops. Go see his pix and descriptive text for more on this Year One of the rooftop garden experiment.

And our supportive friends helped us cook and eat the bounty.

--------------

My own comment on this was :

"I strongly recommend all the visitors of my blog to have a look at that wonderful series of pictures, explaining how the Chicago team build their bucket system.

My sincere congratulations to Heidi, Bruce and their Chicago team."

Did I recently hear food crisis ? Did someone mention high food prices ? Anyone of us, wherever we live, can partly solve that problem. Just grow your own vegetables and herbs (and some fruits) in containers in any location : balconies, terraces, windowsills, patios, platforms, open spaces around the house, flat roofs, etc. Even the cheapest containers, like plastic or PET bottles, yoghourt pots, buckets, sandwich boxes etc. can be transformed in mini-gardens or mini-greenhouses (see former postings on this blog). Give it a try and become a skilled gardener like Heidi HOUGH or Bruce FIELDS (see my former postings on their successes on my containergardening blog).

For quite awhile, my entire back yard was given over to a vegetable garden. The neighbors were none too pleased.

Eventually, neither was the wife. Unfortunately, most find a lawn more attractive than cabbage, corn and carrots.

Of course, a green lawn, good land left fallow or marginal land left ungrazed, is simply another aspect of conspicuous consumption...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Tue May 13th, 2008 at 12:37:10 PM EST
Hello redstar.  I understand your comment very well.  In the Western world, many of us seem to have similar experiences with neighbors and even family members : they are not pleased, to say the least, with what we are doing because they have other ideas and views, on all kinds of things, not only gardening.  What a luxury to have time to spend at "discussions"!  Things get completely different if one doesn't have the means to buy decent food.  Then, production of vegetables in or around the house can be a necessity.  That's where the windowsill story is coming in ...

Prof. Dr. Willem Van Cotthem Beeweg 36 - B 9080 Zaffelare (Belgium)
by willem vancotthem (willem.vancotthem@gmail.com) on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 06:26:09 AM EST
I'm guessing this has to do with Growing Vegetables on City Rooftops by Bruce F ?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue May 13th, 2008 at 04:02:25 PM EST
Sorry for any confusion.

I mentioned ET to Mr. van Cotthem (Willem(?), we don't know each other, only met because of a comment I left at his blog) as a place where he might find an audience for his work on Desertification.

He's seen the diaries that I wrote at dKos and a few other blogs, I  don't know if he's aware that I posted it here.

by Bruce F (greenroofgrowers [at] gmail [dot] com) on Tue May 13th, 2008 at 08:21:18 PM EST
No need for apologies :-)

I simply noticed that willem vancotthem was referring to you!

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 14th, 2008 at 01:24:55 AM EST
Thanks afew.  You are right, it was Bruce F who, in one of the mails we exchanged, showed me the way to the European Tribune.  I am still thankful for this, because it offers me nice opportunities to get in contact with the interested visitors of this site.  This is simply splendid !

Prof. Dr. Willem Van Cotthem Beeweg 36 - B 9080 Zaffelare (Belgium)
by willem vancotthem (willem.vancotthem@gmail.com) on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 06:31:56 AM EST
Indeed afew, it was Bruce F who, in one of the emails we exchanged, showed me the way to the European Tribune.  I am still thankful for this, because it offers me fine opportunities to get in contact with the interested visitors of your site.  It is simply splendid !

Prof. Dr. Willem Van Cotthem Beeweg 36 - B 9080 Zaffelare (Belgium)
by willem vancotthem (willem.vancotthem@gmail.com) on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 06:36:25 AM EST
Thanks for posting this, willem. I've done a little editing on the links and the youtube video. You might like to take a look at these two paragraphs in the New User Guide:

Also, you should aim to split your diary into an introductory part, to be posted in the upper of the two text windows on the diary creation page, and the main body which should go into the second window. I edited your diary in this way to give you an example.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue May 13th, 2008 at 04:23:08 PM EST
Thanks for the helping hand to improve my diaries.

Prof. Dr. Willem Van Cotthem Beeweg 36 - B 9080 Zaffelare (Belgium)
by willem vancotthem (willem.vancotthem@gmail.com) on Fri May 16th, 2008 at 06:37:30 AM EST
Well, we are experts at growing exotic diaries on our computers' windowsills...

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Thu Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:56:23 AM EST