Bridge Blogging - Der Garten Der Zwei Ufer

by Jerome a Paris Sat May 17th, 2008 at 05:14:41 PM EST

It's been a while since we had some bridge blogging, so I took the opportunity of a visit to Strasbourg last month to take a few pictures of the passerelle des deux rives, pedestrian bridge over the Rhine which links Strasbourg in France to Kehl in Germany.

the bridge as seen from Germany, from the North

The bridge has a pretty interesting look for up close, as it consists of two separate arches: one straight (for pedestrians) and one curved (for bikers); this creates some unusual shapes for a bridge:

This picture, from the Structurae website, shows how weird the bridge can look:

as seen from the French side

On both sides, it ends up in parks that have been recently created, and which are very pleasant for strolls (along the river) of with kids (with various games areas). On the French side, it's also become a place where concerts and outdoor shows happen.

And, having been build over two countries, it is also a symbol of the progress made by public authorities in getting to work together to treat the region more as a single unit at the center of a wider region, rather than as two regions at the end of their respective countries.

On a personal note, not having been in Strasbourg (where I grew up)  for a few years? I was amazed to see all the work that has taken place to reshape the city - the tramway of course, the biking paths everywhere, the brand news TGV train station (recently photographed in a diary or comment by DoDo which I cannot find), a new science museum and lots more.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sat May 17th, 2008 at 05:15:15 PM EST
Ha! I clicked on this thinking this was going to be about  bridge, the card game. Having said that, I'm happy to see that it is a wonderful bridge. In Sydney I once lived almost right under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, in a suburb called the Rocks. I spent hours marvelling at the genial structure.
by Asinus Asinum Fricat (patric.juillet@gmail.com) on Sat May 17th, 2008 at 05:42:01 PM EST

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Sat May 17th, 2008 at 06:19:23 PM EST

I posted my photo from last year of the renewed station (it's still the old masonry structure, with a new UFO front) in a photo blog, but here it is again:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 03:13:09 AM EST
Very interesting bridge. I thought Calatrava, I looked at the Structurae site, but no: it's by a French architect named Marc Mimram. Almost all his other work seems to be arch bridges. I knew one of them: Viaduc de la Garde-Adhémar, which takes the LGV Mediterranée [high-speed line to Marseille] over the Canal de Donzère:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 03:28:24 AM EST
Note: this may require updating (all these diaries, except the top one which is from 2006, are from 2005)

Previous Bridge Blogging (by PeWi, unless indicated otherwise):
Bridge Blogging - Chavez's Achilles' Heel (by Jerome a Paris) (Jan. 27)
Thomas Viaduct (by Jerome a Paris) (Dec. 28)
Calatrava's Twisted Mind (by DoDo (Dec. 1)
wobbly(Nov. 3)
parallel lines(Oct. 27)
Galloping Gertie(Oct. 19)
animal bridges(Oct. 13)
Remagen(Oct. 6)
transporter bridge in Middlesbrough (Sept. 29)
Lyonel Feininger edition(Sept. 22)
Activities on Brooklyn Bridge (Sept 15th)
Bridge of Alcántara (Sept 8th)
Tyne Swing Bridge(Sept 1st)
Muengstener Bruecke (Aug 25th)
Mostar Bridge (Aug 18th)

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sat May 17th, 2008 at 05:17:43 PM EST
I think you're forgetting Friday Bridge Blogging (and baby announcement) on Jan 11th, 2008.

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 07:49:48 PM EST
Incredible piece of art in steel.
Roller coasters--"Steelies" also sometimes have an incredible flow-sweeping curves that are wonderful art.
Here's bridge art of a different sort--the surroundings are lovely too.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.
by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 03:19:20 AM EST
(In wonderful Semur-en-Auxois, see comments when geezer in Paris posted it earlier.)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 03:31:07 AM EST
Thanks, DoDo- my aging neurons lost the name again.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 05:04:40 AM EST
We visited the Roman bridge in Vaison la Romaine not long ago:

It was very impressive to see the marker for the 1992 flash flood, which is about one meter above the top of the bridge. That pic gives a glimpse of what it was like:

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 04:46:49 AM EST
Holy Mackerel!
Lotta water there.
Amazing it survived.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Mon May 19th, 2008 at 05:36:13 AM EST
It has probably survived quite a number of those through the centuries...

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Mon May 19th, 2008 at 03:27:50 PM EST
Wow, that's what I call a flash flood

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon May 19th, 2008 at 09:30:27 AM EST
Somewhat unrelated  - apart that I downloaded the pics at the same time...

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 04:39:26 AM EST
I am continually amazed by how low planes fly over London.

Here's Buckingham Palace:

And here's Big Ben:

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 04:41:38 AM EST
... that they also had a Ferris Wheel in London named "Big Ben".

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 02:41:34 PM EST
Hehehe... indeed the London Eye is more in the focus (especially with the low contrast).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 04:28:05 PM EST
I've been for a walk today.  A couple of miles downriver:

Milton Ferry Bridge. It was built in 1716 by Earl Fitzwilliam to provide a crossing over the river Nene to his estates. His descendants were still charging local people a toll to use it well into the 1960's.

by Sassafras on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 09:28:17 AM EST
Here is the Holbeinsteg pedestrian bridge in Frankfurt that crosses the Main.... a very elegant suspention bridge, though nowhere near as interesting as Jérôme's passerelle des deux rives above.

Photos from our walk yesterday.

google maps

Looking SW at bridge

Tower

On the bridge

P.O.A. at platform

Anchorage

Tower P.O.A.

Can someone smarter than me ID those things on the left and right -- look like swiveling metal mirrors?)

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 09:39:27 AM EST
Any photos of the Eiserner Steg?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 12:37:25 PM EST
Naturalich!

You're getting to know me pretty well, DoDo....

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Sun May 18th, 2008 at 07:14:17 PM EST
You're getting to know me pretty well, DoDo....

No, it's just that I know this one much better, lots of memories (the swans, the paddle boats...). I don't even remember of having crossed the other one.

Speaking of crossings of the Main river in Frankfurt, have you seen the cable-guided ferry in Frankfurt-Höchst, just downriver of the park at the mouth of the Nidda river? I have no clue what state the park and the ferry are in today, but the latter is still extant on FlashEarth's pictures from above.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Mon May 19th, 2008 at 07:08:41 AM EST
I visited Strasbourg 29 years ago and thought it was pretty bike friendly even then, compared with anywhere I'd been in the UK that is.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon May 19th, 2008 at 09:31:59 AM EST

Italian government collapse