Photography Blog No. 36

by LEP Sun May 25th, 2008 at 06:28:50 AM EST

Nice things to look at, intro text moved below the fold - In Wales
Next week's theme is context

Greetings, and welcome to the 36th edition of the ET Photography Blog.
The other day I bought two almost new electric wall heaters on ebay-France, for 10 euros each; quite an interesting price. The catch was that I had to pick them up myself. I thought "no problem- its in the same department as mine (77) Seine et Marne, I'll just take a small drive and fetch them." What I didn't realize is that I live in the western extremity of the largest department in France and that the heaters were located in the eastern extremity near Provins which is a very interesting city to visit except that I left my home at 6:45 p.m. The drive and the countryside were lovely and I arrived at 8:20 and purchased the heaters. After taking a quick pizza for dinner I started back and around 9:45 I saw this beautiful scene. I whipped out my trusty Canon Elph and here's the photo. So in honor of my photo we'll do Countryside and Seaside in addition to Photos as Usual and Ask the Experts if you have any techical subjects you would like to discuss.
Happy posting to all!!

countryside and seaside

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:09:52 AM EST

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 06:48:46 AM EST

These pictures were taken today. The weather was somewhat hazy.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:17:35 PM EST
Now that's a challenge to locate, without any railways visible.  But the first one does, indeed, remind me of a scenery I saw in 1994, near the station of Spiez...

Here, looking West into the Simmental?

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:22:42 PM EST
In which case, the second must be... looking West from the terrace of Ferienzentrum Aeschiried? (With some new huts since the satellite photo)

I am envious...

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:37:03 PM EST
DoDo this is absolutely incredible, you are just amazing!!! I mean BINGO !!!
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:53:23 PM EST
He's stalking you.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:56:00 PM EST
LOL, sure looks like it, but still amazing. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:57:45 PM EST
Ooooh, then I guess I shouldn't tell about my analysis of the contents of that hotel dustbin...

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:51:59 PM EST
Yeap, better shhhhhhh....... :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:01:17 PM EST

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:42:30 PM EST
Countryside? Here is countryside in  Aggtelek National Park/Northeastern Hungary: Vörös-tó ( = Red Lake), a water-filled sinkhole (a cave entrance named for it is in the next sinkhole in my back):

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:56:04 PM EST
Valley of the Štiavnica creek in central Slovakia, in autumn:

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:57:59 PM EST
Autumn along the railway line to the North of Budapest:

(Fantastic colors - less fantastic original image; I had the worng settings, so lots of post-processing)

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:11:16 PM EST
Sunset through the dirty window of an IC train towards Budapest:

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:15:07 PM EST
A Breton farm West of Rennes with its ass in the rain:

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:31:10 PM EST

by LEP on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 04:15:13 AM EST

any pros want to give feedback for which one works better for them, and why?

thanks

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 01:45:05 PM EST
Not pro or notably expert on compositions, but I'll add some subjective opinions anyhow ...

I like the colour balance in the second and third, and the tree best in the fourth, but am I allowed say I don't like any of them for the tree? It never seems, to me, to rise about the level of distraction rather than compositional element. I think it might be better to either eliminate the tree or pull back  a little to include all of it in the composition. Moving the  horizon line a bit higher wouldn't hurt either - I think it needs a bit more mass against the sky.

I'm thinking of something like:

Now, whether such a composition is possible is another matter.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 02:01:35 PM EST
thanks colman. sorry i didn't reply earlier, internet is finally back up to dialup speed again.

as you know i'm not one that thinks sunsets need extra 'props', and the cypress has been oversold as integral cliche.

i have tried more earth to sky, but it just is so black, it seems like waste of eyeball/pixels.

perhaps if i had got there earlier and the tree hadn't been so black too...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon May 26th, 2008 at 11:12:42 AM EST
Yes, it is a bit done to death, but if you want it in there  there's not much you can do.

The problem I have with too little earth showing is that it makes me feel as if I'm craning my neck or that the sky is floating away.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon May 26th, 2008 at 11:17:12 AM EST

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon May 26th, 2008 at 11:19:36 AM EST

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon May 26th, 2008 at 11:22:14 AM EST

(taken by my daughter)

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Mon May 26th, 2008 at 04:12:39 PM EST
photos as usual

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:10:35 AM EST
For DoDo. Where's this train?

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:22:54 AM EST
This is a 'road-train', e.g. a tractor camouflaged as a steam engine pulling multiple trailers, right? Then I have no clue; maybe Eurodisney?

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:48:10 PM EST
Very good. It's a tourist train taken at the top of Monmartre.

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:54:08 PM EST
The only decent negative I got out of the large format camera I brought to the mountains last week:
4x5

Not too bad, but I'm inordinately proud of it since it's the first real shot I 've got from that thing since building it. I think I need a more modern lense for outside work though ... the one I have flares horribly.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:00:15 AM EST
To see what I mean, look at the rock in the bottom right corner - the bright patch has leaked into the area around it.

Oh, and on my screen that image is about the same size as the negative!

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:04:59 AM EST
It's also the first negative I've (contact) printed in a darkroom in about a decade.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:09:34 AM EST
It's awesome!  I love the look of it.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun May 25th, 2008 at 06:24:14 AM EST

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:09:06 AM EST

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:20:58 AM EST
Want to be a movie star?

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:45:45 PM EST
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:40:19 AM EST
Paul
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:48:54 AM EST
Paul again
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 05:50:51 AM EST

Things to do while walking in a big circle waiting for Christopher to nod off in his sling. He's an accomplished sleep evader already.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 06:08:14 AM EST
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 06:16:08 AM EST
Those of us spoiled by the milder winters of the past decade had a bit of trouble with this last one. But it really is finally spring.

The leaves of a mighty burr oak were still lacy and delicate yesterday.

The cemetery at Valley Grove is being decorated for Memorial Day.

Our restoration project lumbers toward completion.  Nothing like a coat of paint.

This may not look like much of an accomplishment, but here's a picture of that rotten corner we were dealing with last winter.

Here was the rotten structure being rebuilt.

Minnesota was 150 years old as a state this spring.  Our restored piece of evidence that the Nordic people settled here turns 146 years old.  It should last at least another 146 thanks to our efforts this winter.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"

by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 06:48:44 AM EST
Would that be this?

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 11:53:44 AM EST
Why yes it is.  I should be including that link so thank you.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"
by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 11:58:25 AM EST
Looks like a lot of work, but very pretty.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:03:44 PM EST
The work was pretty sample as these things go.  The original structure was built by non-professionals and was very basic.  We could not afford the costs of rebuilding with historically authentic tools--which would have increased the labor factor by about 5x--and that assumes we could find such people.

In truth, the original builders would have loved carbide cutting surfaces, motorized miter box saws, airless paint applicators, or laser levels.  So we had NO qualms about using the best available building methods.  And as you can see, the rebuilt steeple supports are perfectly straight.  Even so, the original structure was pretty square so fitting hyper-accurate repairs required a minimum of fussy fitting.

"Remember the I35W bridge--who needs terrorists when there are Republicans"

by techno (reply@elegant-technology.com) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 12:42:10 AM EST

Different perspektive!

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 08:58:29 AM EST
it looks like hippos.

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 09:21:54 AM EST
Mmmmhhh! I had a different association. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:06:15 PM EST
I hope it's nothing erotic; I usually catch those but I am taking a lot of medicine today :-)

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:51:49 PM EST
No, I think it could be called more like something more anal. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 01:55:20 PM EST
I knew it. Five male rhinos having an orgy :-)

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 02:45:20 PM EST
Sorry, nope :-D I wait if DoDo can figure out the where with the additional hint, before I tell where or what it is.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 02:59:58 PM EST
Sorry, no associations for that one.

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:49:55 PM EST
It is the new Paul Klee Zentrum in Bern. The link has a video that shows the building which looks like a sinus wave - fascinating.

Now the pictures of the brown stuff, which in my opinion just look like turd, from what ever side you look at it it looks like a giant turd. But as it is in the garden of an Art Museum, I must assume it is an artful sculpture. Call me an ignoramus of art. :-)

When I saw it first, I had an afew moment! I thought I need some coffee, because I really couldn't be seeing straight. :-D

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 04:06:51 PM EST
Could it be a deflated hot air balloon?

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 12:57:33 PM EST
A little hint about the where. Photo not taken by me.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 02:21:49 PM EST
Does this have something to do with the European Cup 2008?

by DoDo on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:35:07 PM EST
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:36:59 PM EST
Villa Ephrussi Rothschild, Cap Ferrat - fountains with music:

fount-villa-70009

In the villa's rose-garden:

garden-temple-70019

In the villa's gardens:

yell_flowers2-70023

View from the villa - ah, let's go the other way:

ship-turns-60933

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:39:46 PM EST
Ted. I'll have my barrister contact you about taking unauthorized photos of my boat. That's the second one from the left up top a little bit. Well, you really can't see it too well- your zoom must not be big enough.

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:50:58 PM EST
ask the experts

by LEP on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 03:11:24 AM EST
Here's one I like for purely technical reasons: the colour rendtion of the film - Fuji Reala - is lovely, and the out-of-focus rendering of the lights and things by the Voightlander 40mm/1.4

I have no idea how Christopher ended up a blur, because I'm almost certain that's wide open so the shutter speed must have been high.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 06:25:43 PM EST
Maybe Mr. Christopher just managed to move faster than your shutter afterall.  My grandson has an uncanny knack of doing that 9 out of every 10 photos.  Otherwise, just narrow depth of field at f1.4, even at 40mm??

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri May 23rd, 2008 at 11:01:44 PM EST
Here's a seaside one, shot surreptitiously from the promenade in Lyme Regis.

Blaugustine

by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 12:28:05 AM EST
Could you re-post these two photos by hitting "Reply to this" at the bottom of LEP's "countryside and seaside" comment, instead of hitting "Post a comment" at the bottom of the diary or the entire comments thread?

by DoDo on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 12:38:44 AM EST
DoDo thanks, I'll do that. For those of us who are new to ET, it's not always clear what the correct procedures are.

Blaugustine
by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 03:12:42 PM EST
Oops! I think I've failed again, failed better. Instead of hitting Reply to This I hit Post Comment underneath LEP's header. And now I don't know how to delete all the extra photos. Ach.

Blaugustine
by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 03:28:04 PM EST
I can do that, I did that.

by DoDo on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 05:04:26 PM EST
Gulls having a toilet break on the rocks, Lyme Regis.

Blaugustine

by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 12:32:18 AM EST
Sunset on the Nile, Luxor

Blaugustine

by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 12:47:57 AM EST
Nice photos Natalie. Thanks for posting :-)

by LEP on Sat May 24th, 2008 at 01:56:40 AM EST
Thanks LEP and DoDo. Will try to put pics in the right place next time :)

Blaugustine
by Augustinatalie (endapressNOTblueyonderNOTcoNOTuk) on Sun May 25th, 2008 at 10:24:17 PM EST