Early Friday Photography Blog No 55

by In Wales Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:09:37 AM EST

The photography blog always hits the mark!

Photobucket

Weekend bump for the pretty pictures! - In Wales

It looks as though putting the Friday photoblog up on a Thursday evening is the way to go. I also don't have to be late for work on Friday mornings. It shall remain as the Friday photoblog by name, in the interests of ritual and tradition and ensuring a slight element of confusion and/or mystery.

The blog is in three parts this week - one for "Ask the Expert" about anything you like, composition, technical things and so on.

Second is "Sport", and as usual, all categories are open to interpretation.
Take this excellent pub sport as an example:

Photobucket

The usual final part is for "Photos As Usual", whatever you want to post.

Please try to keep to 600 pixels width and less than 100kb in file size and take a look at Wednesday Photography Blog No.2 for the technical bits on how to post. Please reply under one of the headers and not directly to this diary.

Here is the Master list of previous photoblogs.
Please enjoy!

"Ask the Expert"
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 12:43:34 PM EST
I can understand why events pro photographers have two cameras on them.  At the march I missed some great close up shots since I couldn't keep swapping lenses about from my wide angle to one of my prime lenses.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 03:12:21 PM EST
"Sport"
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 12:44:11 PM EST

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 01:26:11 PM EST
Just beautiful.

One of those speechless moments when further comment would amount to noise.

by Loefing on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 05:00:39 PM EST
Still, describing what the photo doesn't show will alter the picture:
  1. five others were lending a hand for the effort, so it wasn't as difficult;
  2. however, he was the only one without a raincoat in a drizzle (which you can guess only from the haziness of the background).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 01:07:49 PM EST
Still, describing what the photo doesn't show will alter the picture:

Hoo, hoo. Do tell us the story the photograph suggests but doesn't tell.

by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 03:12:37 PM EST
Saw this trick in the world'd strongest man contest.  The contestants were taking turns pulling a rail car over the Zambezi River rail bridge. Not an easy task, from what I saw, for one person.

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:41:39 PM EST
well looking at that picture if someone that relatively slight can push a train carriage, those worlds strongest man competitions must be as fake as the TV wrestling.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 05:56:24 AM EST
I think the strong man contests were real. These guys aren't slightly built.  More like small tanks with legs.  They used the crossties for leverage and pulled from the middle of the track.  I think they were harnessed to the rail car, which also helped. The most anyone could manage to pull was a few feet.  Maximum strength is needed to overcome the initial inertia and then maintain momentum. Once the car stopped once they were done with no strength left to restart.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:25:10 AM EST
Maximum strength is needed to overcome the initial inertia

Initial friction, yes. After overcoming that, it depends on the type (and quality) of axle bearers (the differences in that are quite significant).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 04:27:56 PM EST
"Photos As Usual"
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 12:44:50 PM EST
Last week's mystery photo.

Uncropped version.

Answer disclosed on Saturday, hopefully detail to be given by linca.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 at 04:01:29 PM EST
Uh
The second one looks even stranger.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi
by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:31:09 AM EST
is it a sculpture or part of a fairground ride?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:34:01 AM EST
This is part of the "Cyclop", the giant sculpture of Jean Tinguely, the Suisse sculptor, which is located in the Forest of Fontainbleau near Milly La Foret. There were about 15 different sculptors involved in this work. As far as I understand, the work is a living dream (or nightmare) of the modern world.
The railroad car is one similar to those used in the deportations of the Jews from France to the Nazi camps.

Linca (and Mme Linca) were with me on the tour and he understands this much better than I since the tour was in French and I'm somewhat hard of hearing. If he sees this perhaps he can expand on my comment.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:48:54 AM EST

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 04:21:34 AM EST
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 04:44:48 AM EST
I thought of that but I usually don't change estHer's photos without her advice and consent. I'll ask her tonight which one she prefers and let you know what she says or maybe she'll let you know.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 04:55:39 AM EST
I've showed it to estHer and she likes your version.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:11:51 PM EST
Nyah-nyah-nyah.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:28:52 PM EST

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 05:41:06 AM EST
French PM Fillon has just stated that we're on "the edge of an abyss" referring to the financial crisis. So I'm going to link to this Tom Waits rendition of "Brother Can You Spare A Dime." It has a lot of great Depression era photos which is why I'm putting it in the photoblog.

Cheers everyone!

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:39:35 AM EST
Tough people for tough times.  I wonder if we still have it in us.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:47:04 PM EST
Photobucket
by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:44:06 AM EST
by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:20:44 PM EST
Earthquake?

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:48:16 PM EST

My sister, who was helping me renovate my apartment at the time.

by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:31:02 PM EST
(Did she consent to posting this image?)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:34:22 PM EST
I wouldn't have done so otherwise.
by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:43:15 PM EST
OK, sorry! I am jittery about these things -- if one posts a picture on his/her favourite blog, it may be for the community, but it will be visible for everyone and stay so.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 01:20:46 PM EST
I appreciate and understand your concern. This photograph, like many of those I publish here, will have a short half-life.
by Loefing on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 02:34:43 PM EST
Does your sister like older men? :-)

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 03:24:07 PM EST
She probably does, within limits, LEP. I would suspect however that the two of us have, unfortunately, past those markers long ago.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:56:16 PM EST
Gotta keep dreamin' :-)

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:01:37 PM EST
Sorry, "passed" or "are past", take your pick!

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:35:15 PM EST
title, colours, composition

impossibly graceful

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 09:51:14 AM EST
thanks, melo.

You, alone, seem to have understood why I posted the image.

La Liseuse could be straight out of an 18th century painting.

Oh, well.

by Loefing on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 01:36:28 PM EST
You, alone, seem to have understood why I posted the image.

I don't believe that is necessarily so. I am sure others also appreciate the artfulness of the photograph, the inspiration required for the moment of capture, the subject's facial expression and pose, etc, which indeed could have inspired several 18th century style paintings. However, a photograph also can evoke in some a strong hormonal response that conflicts with accepting the subject as purely an object of art vs. one of just feminine physical beauty.  Personally, I find the photograph artful in composition, good in technique, and the subject beautiful and graceful. The absence of a realization of beauty in the photograph would change the way I think about it - though not necessarily in a negative way.

I do like the photograph.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 08:35:18 PM EST
no, i just was the one to mention it!

the formality of occurring...

it has such a charged, yet tranquil atmosphere emanating from it.

the wires are ugly, which makes it look less 'composed', but the beauty of the female form, and the happy marriage of other elements are so overwhelmingly fortituous, it causes the critical eye to be well-fed enough that perfectionism caused by looking for habitual markers is forgotten in the wave of gratitude that a tender slice of spacetime was artistically immortalised for us to enjoy.

words are useless sometimes, they have a habit of flying wide of the target. it has gestalt, the whole is mysteriously so much more than the components...

sump'n like that....mumbles fade to black...

(everyone's a critic)

thanks for sharing, and to your sister too

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:28:58 AM EST
Sorry your pictures are gone, I did not have time to really look at them and enjoy them, only skimming through the diary. but I do remember them as nice pictures, especially the one of you sister.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 08:41:15 AM EST
Why are they gone? What happened?

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:32:53 AM EST
Norwegian Church, Cardiff Bay. Taken this evening.

Photobucket

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 04:53:41 PM EST
Millenium Centre/Torchwood HQ taken this evening.

Photobucket

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 04:55:37 PM EST
A London view

Photobucket

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 05:00:22 PM EST

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 05:12:18 PM EST
Is this the new Maestro di casa Melo?
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 02:25:49 AM EST
yup, cosimo.

wadda guy!

aka 'li'l maniac'!

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 07:59:08 AM EST
Well, he does look like an absolutely adorable 'terror'! :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 08:45:57 AM EST
heh, i'll try and remember that next time he sinks his claws in my leg trying to climb up my yoga pants!

ouch ççé§é°-

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:43:16 AM EST

Autumn is already here by the Mediterranean. Taken this morning from my terrace.

by amanda2006 on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 05:23:49 PM EST
You've got as nice view amanda.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 05:45:20 PM EST
Yes, LEP, with this view it's not difficult to take good photos ;-)
by amanda2006 on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 03:39:03 AM EST
Last week my wife, daughter and grandson visited relatives in So. Alabama along the Gulf of Mexico.

Dauphin Island Beach - Low Tide.  The weather was beautiful 75-80F.  Still, I got sunburned just lounging in the shade.

We visited the "Estuarium," a natural museum dedicated to the Mobile River system, bay and Gulf ecosystem, at the Eastern end of the Island. These are natural gas platforms.

I am always amazed at what appears in carefully examined images.  If I didn't know better, I would swear the little triangle highlighted in the cropped and enlarged section from photo 2 is a Stealth B2 aircraft. I didn't notice the helicopter below it either until I looked at the enlargement.

I can tell you from many years experience that this fish, the "Red Snapper," looks and tastes better on a plate than in a tank!

I'm not sure I would want to eat this one.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:48:45 PM EST
"I`m not sure I would eat this one"
It seems to be a "Lookdown", a very beautiful fish in schools & in home tanks.

The difference between theists and atheists is that the atheists don't set the theists on fire for refusing to agree with them.
by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:38:05 AM EST
It is a Lookdown fish. I recall reading the material beside the tanks. There were several good examples in the tanks, as well as quite a few other species. A nice display.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:11:36 AM EST
Gringo,
Here`s a Reverse Goldentail from one of my  tanks.
Sadly, this fish had a tragic end, through no fault of it`s own.
 ON THE LOOKOUT DSCN3929

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:49:07 AM EST
Looks like a variety of eel. Is it?

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:13:22 AM EST
It`s a rare morph of a golden-tail eel.
Normally it is brown with yellow markings, but maybe 1 out a few hundred are reversed, a striking color contrast that makes them desirable in the trade.
Here is another shot, showing the business end of the eel.
Click on it to see more of this beauty. Please
Oh, & thanks for confirming my initial impression of the fish, the "Lookdown"
WHITE MOUTH flat  DSCN4607

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 05:08:49 PM EST
Yes, I can see why it's called a reversed.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 08:45:35 PM EST
What, that, an eel???
I could swear it's a moray. But if it was your fish, you must know. I'm still baffled, though.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:39:34 AM EST
Mmm, OK, in vernacular terms, eel appears to cover all anguiliforms, although morays would then be "moray eels".

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:41:26 AM EST
Cyrille,
It is a Moray eel. It does not get very long (under two feet).
They are amazing to watch, but (don`t get your fingers too close).
Here are a few more images.
I`m including one of a "Cleaner Wrasse" cruising by a Green Bubble coral.
Check this link.
 BUBBLE WRASSE BLACK  DSCN3194

EEL SCALE DSCN4099

EEL BACKGROUND DSCN2203

EEL FLOOD DSCN4057 psd

NICE DENTAL PLAN DSCN4397

by Knucklehead on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 08:52:22 PM EST
Thanks.

I am a scubadiver, not much of a photographer.
Well, I guess one day I should upload some of my pictures, but they aren't anywhere near that good. Very blue for a start (except for some of the night ones), and often blurry as I try to balance myself without touching anything if at all possible.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 01:36:08 AM EST
The B2 wouldn't be a big surprise.  Remember you've got a lot of military next to you, right across the border in Florida.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 01:26:39 PM EST
The small town of Daphne on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay was holding its twentieth annual "Jubilee Festival."  Along Mobile Bay the term jubilee refers to a natural phenomenon, similar to a red tide, wherein fish float on the water's surface in certain areas near the shoreline as if stunned.  However in a jubilee the effect is only temporary lasting from minutes to several hours and the fish do not die. As a boy, I spent a few nights on the beach awaiting these events that always seemed to occur at night during the very early morning hours.

Town Hall, visitors and large "Live Oak" tree.

Some of the many culinary offerings. Alligator - not in my day.

Lots of arts and crafts.

Live Oak

By the Bay

Spanish Moss

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:24:51 PM EST
Nacho's? Kabob? Typos or what?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 06:35:44 AM EST
Kabob is used here as kebob. A nacho is, quoting my MS Word dictionary, "a tortilla chip, usually eaten in quantity covered with melted cheese, salsa, or sliced pickled jalapeño peppers." They are delicious but probably not particularly heathy to eat.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:32:14 AM EST
The standard transliteration of the Arabic meat dish is Kebab, but OK, I find on Wiki that "kabob" is also accepted. Regarding the Mexican dish, I meant to pinpoint the apostrophe as typo (shouldn't it be "nachos" instead of "nacho's").

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 04:25:00 PM EST
Nachos, yes.  Nacho's no.  Your are correct. I didn't notice the apostrophe. Sometimes it takes a non-native speaker to notice such things.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 08:40:33 PM EST
Always loved the oaks and Spanish Moss down in that part of the country.

Alligator is quite good.  I had it in NOLA.  And, yes, it does taste a lot like chicken.  Better though.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 01:28:13 PM EST
A "quicky"
 2DSCN2833

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:35:22 AM EST
Nice display of "bug tussle."  Normally these insects will bite each other's heads off if given the chance. Maybe sexual recognition is in the differing eye and body color? The "lovebugs" have spread all along the Gulf and were in abundance there last week.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:44:33 AM EST
Big Ben and some of the Houses of Parliament with the London Eye in the background.

Photobucket

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 03:08:10 PM EST
Another view of Parliament. It is very big. Even for a wide angle lens.

Photobucket

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 03:10:45 PM EST
At first I thought there was something on the lens of my phone...but nope the sun appears to have come out black...

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
by Sam on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 07:41:14 AM EST
What did you take the picture on?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:08:31 AM EST
Blackberry perl phone camera.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
by Sam on Tue Oct 7th, 2008 at 02:58:51 AM EST
oooh. Well. I don't know.  Maybe the sun was just too bright to record and the pixels got all flustered and went on strike.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 7th, 2008 at 09:20:24 AM EST
Are you sure your camera's CCD survived that photo?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 01:40:29 PM EST
It's still taking photos with no problems!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
by Sam on Tue Oct 7th, 2008 at 02:59:31 AM EST
twigs and branches

click to enlarge

by town on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 at 02:40:13 PM EST
The flash of color seems to be growing near a Boulder.
Nice shot.

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:39:40 AM EST
good guess...thanks.
by town on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 04:22:13 PM EST
My snoozing buddy, Coconut.
 SIESTA TIME DSCN2512

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:44:21 AM EST
ooh, beautiful!

why snoozing buddy, do you guys nap together?

your pix are nothing short of amazing...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 09:50:51 AM EST
Melo,
That`s what Coconut is, mellow.
This is a rescue bird I`ve had for many years.
He probably considers me a rescued human & he`d be right.
He is also very much appreciated for having rescued me.
From when I get up to have breakfast, till I go off to my work, he`s having coffee & crumpets with me.
He`s a dunker.
Then when I get back,  I  preen all his feathers, by hand, do all my correspondence with him on my shoulder, go out in the yard for his gymnastics, then when he starts nodding off, I put him in his covered cage till morning.
He is the clown of clowns, but also a "strong-arm bandit".
Don`t challenge him to a one arm pull-up contest.
In this pic, he`s outside on his rope, which I brought in, & into your monitor, so you can hear his cackling screams of delight. He is my very best buddy.
 STRONG ARMED COCONUT 2 flat

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 10:53:08 AM EST
he's stone gorgeous, a heartbreaker.

is he free when you're out, or do you have a little house for him?

do you live where there's a winter?

i was just thinking about getting one...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 01:02:58 PM EST
Melo,
He`s a "backstreet boy" to the "uptown girls", definitely a heartbreaker.
I have an aviary where I have at least 6 other parrots. The number varies,
as we rescue birds short-time, or life-time.
We have a wild Nanday that had a broken wing, who is not healthy but will never fly again. He`s been with us for 5/6 years. An Indian ring-neck we ge`ve taken from it`s owner after one other ringneck from the same brood passed away.
We`d had this ones sister since it was just a few days hatched.
We also have an African Grey, that needs a whole lot of care since it cannot stand up by itself, so it spends it`s waking hours in a sling in it`s personal cage. We`ve had numerous hummingbirds & sparrows that we rehabilitate & allow them to choose when to fly off. We`ve had crows & nighthawks, mocking birds & swallows.
Some of the sparrows live in the house & aviary for months.
The hummingbirds we try & rehabilitate as fast &as carefully as possible so they can get back outside to get the proper natural nourishment.
But above all that, is Coconut, the nicest, smartest best friend one could have in the bird world. He loves doing tricks I taught him & just delights in showing off his dance moves especially if applause is forthcoming. Coconut is a Goffin cockatoo & is the smallest of that group. He is smart enough to trick me, then giving me the "PSYCH" look. But I do get back at him. Since we had a green parrot, a yellow one & him, I called them, Lemon, Lime & Coconut.
I`ll go retrieve a few of the birds & post them. I`ll be back in a few.
I live in Malibu, so there`s not much of a problem with temperature.

Remember one thing about these birds, they are long-lived, they are companion birds & thrive with your interaction. Imagine a three year old who never grows up. I would definitely advise getting such a wonderful companion, if one is committed. They are great teachers of patience, & are also wonderful learners if you have just a little patience. As for speaking, those that are good talkers just start talking, to your amazed surprise.
Here`s a few of my past & present charges.
The first few are of Iris as I`m teaching her to fly off of my hand.
You can also see Coconut fooling around. In one he`s on top of the antenna of my truck, swing around. Then he`ll slide down the "firepole" with a flourishing "Taaddaa".
He`s eating BBQ`d ribs in the last one.
Have a great day
 JESSICA THE BABY SWALLOW DSCN5402
 JESSICA, THE PEAR SHAPED BABY DSCN5405
 THE BABY DSCN0487
 ANY JUICE LEFT
 COCONUT RIBS DSCN2502

by Knucklehead on Sat Oct 4th, 2008 at 05:00:23 PM EST
thanks for such a generous reply!

i'm thinking it's got to be fun to be a bird at your place...

right now my kitten is making me think of a 3 year old, in the incredible persistence he has to be 'in my face' all the time, and how everything is about play and affection. i imagine birds are similar.

do you have a cat too?

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 06:36:00 AM EST
Melo, meet Milo.
This is the old one-eyed feline, that`s seen many of his lives flash by.
He`s out on the deck right now, sleeping with the lazy dog.
One of those times was when he didn`t see, nor sense, the coyote attack.
Here`s looking at you.
If you look upstream, I have some images of my fish posted.
You are very welcome to my reply.
Have a nice day.
 MILO DSCN9815

by Knucklehead on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:08:30 PM EST
Amazing pictures, Knucklehead! and impressive work you seem to be doing with these birds. thanks for sharing.

And coconut is a real beauty!

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 08:43:40 AM EST
Here`s an image to brighten your day.
 This is a Nanday Conure.
It`s feeding at one of my feeders.
 And here are his drinking buddies in the bath.
KNUCKLEHEAD-#13-
 FORUM IN GREEN black DSCN0257

by Knucklehead on Sun Oct 5th, 2008 at 09:23:58 PM EST
Some parakeets in the trees around Paris...

De ET

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Oct 6th, 2008 at 06:51:59 PM EST
Linca,
Are these native, or are they part of a Tour De France?

by Knucklehead on Tue Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:35:31 AM EST
It seems they are former pets now wild. Often seens around parks in Paris and suburbs.

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Tue Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:06:52 AM EST
That is likely the case with the flocksof parrots here, as seen in the birdbath shot above.
I have one of the green ones in my aviary.
The flock, numbering over two dozen individual members, would congregate at my feeders twice a day. Now I see flocks three times that size, flying around the area. Their raucous screeching, precedes the sight of them.

by Knucklehead on Wed Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:16:42 AM EST