Beyond Ponzi Economics II

by harnoes Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 at 05:17:35 PM EST

You remember my diary a while ago: Beyond Ponzi Economics?
Because scavenging information from a blog has it's limits I put some stuff on ETpedia. You should be able to login with your regular ET data.
So please have a look at http://wiki.eurotrib.com/index.php/BeyondPonziEconomics and help solving the problem our Nobel prize economists couldn't or didn't want to.

Schau in mich, Harno P.S. Because I think this question is important I want to make it easier for you and add a poll.

Poll
I didn't comment this diary or added to ETpedia because
. I don't like wikis. 0%
. A blog is good enough for collecting knowlwedge. 0%
. There is no possible economy not addicted to growth. 0%
. I want economic growth, so looking for a non Ponzi economy is useless. 0%
. I don't think it worthwhile to learn how to contribute to a wik. 0%
. None of the above. I add my answer as a comment. 100%

Votes: 1
Results | Other Polls
So I hope that at least with the poll I will get some feedback ...

Schau in mich, Harno

Make it as simple as possible but not simpler (Albert Einstein)

by harnoes on Sun Oct 4th, 2009 at 04:58:12 PM EST
BeyondPonziEconomics - Etpedia
Why we need to think about an economy not addicted to growth?

Why do we need a model to think?

I am no stranger to models, but as the saying has it Garbage In, Garbage Out. So what do you want to model, and what do you expect to be able to deduce from the model?

by A swedish kind of death on Mon Oct 5th, 2009 at 10:22:31 AM EST
... the premise is unclear.

What do you want to model? GDP? Ball bearing production? Food production? Median income?

You're not going to be able to build a general model out of whole cloth. You'll need to pick some points of entry. Then we can model those, and perhaps at some later date unify those models into a coherent theory. Or perhaps not. When all is said and done, economics isn't physics (the beliefs and sentiments of a great many professional economists notwithstanding).

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:04:59 PM EST
I think I have answers to your questions. Obviously I didn`t make myself clear. So I will try to do it better. This will mean:
  • I will describe my steps of reasoning on ETpedia because that`s better than in a blog.
  •  You will be asked to also add your comments there. No problem to do that and sign them with ~~~~.
  • Not this evening. Too late :-)

Schau in mich, Harno

Make it as simple as possible but not simpler (Albert Einstein)
by harnoes on Mon Oct 5th, 2009 at 04:48:52 PM EST
Sounds interesting.

One suggestion though, as ETpedia has lower visibility then ET and wikis appears to have a higher threshold for new users then blogs I would recomend that you use ET as discussion center and ETpedia as draft center (if that makes sense).

ETpedia is also down right now

Etpedia has a problem

(Can't contact the database server: No database connection)

but I am sure a technical solution will come along as long as the demand is there :)

by A swedish kind of death on Tue Oct 6th, 2009 at 04:19:12 AM EST
Using blog and wiki in your way is the general idea. If you have nail use a hammer. With a screw think again ...

So I added some stuff to the ETpedia page.
To summarize it:

• The growth addiction of our economy is bad.
  • Mainstream economists say growth is necessary because of increasing productivity.
  • So I try to show with some simple equations that this wrong.
  • Hinting that perhaps a more complex model is necessary.

Schau in mich, Harno

Make it as simple as possible but not simpler (Albert Einstein)
by harnoes on Tue Oct 6th, 2009 at 10:47:50 AM EST