I love to make photos...I play like a child...

by vbo Wed May 27th, 2009 at 08:46:52 AM EST

As I said I love to make photos.I am not near professional (all tho I have a little bit of background in design that I unfortunately never had chance to use) nor I have a great camera (it cost a lot and there is always something more important...).So it's my hobby that I really enjoy greatly (and am passionate about from time to time).
My younger daughter is making some basic website for her little business (beauty salon) and yesterday I made a few photos so that she can put it on that website once it's done.And here they are.We'll have to make much more photos with a clients but this is just to show the atmosphere of the place...
I wonder what do you think about these photos.Do you like them?Do you think some of them can do the job of promoting her business?

What camera are you using?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 10:01:48 AM EST
I have two cameras , both digital.I actually like more my old Sony (much better optic) then one that I used on this occasion which is Fujifilm. I came in to the possession of this camera redeeming my points on my Visa card and I choose it (not knowing much about it) because of big memory card coming with it(?).
At first I did not like photos that much (comparing with my Sony that all tho is just 3.2MP (this one is 10MP) really gave me much more detail and clearness.
But this one I start to like lately because of the "sharpest" colors...
Anyway they are both just snapshot cameras and next one I buy will be at least "semi-professional". I keep asking it from my family ,for my birthday for years, haha.
But I am only playing anyway...

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 10:37:47 AM EST
The pictures are fine in composition - as you say they need people - but you have to do something about the flash, which is doing weird things in all sorts of places. It's not bright enough to work without it, even with a tripod? (Can you borrow a tripod from anyone?)
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 10:43:11 AM EST
No they are mostly done without flash (I hate it) but yes it was not bright enough and that's why some are little grainy...and sometimes light is just going funny.
Being aware that I can not get "perfect" photos with this sort of camera I was mostly playing with atmosphere...Would anybody want to have a facial or massage in here? Is it likable?
Yes I'll definitely buy tripod soon at least.

by vbo on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 10:53:45 AM EST
I'd agree with Colman's second comment - for a beauty parlour, avoid like hell anything that looks like a hospital. The customers will go through the uncomfortable part, but (and because) they're thinking of beauty. So go for the nice aesthetics in the photos.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 11:05:44 AM EST
People being pampered in a nice dressing gown and looking happy to be lying on the trolley thing would make the clinic type shots look a lot better.

I quite like the abstract photos too.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 02:54:59 PM EST
Yep.

People, people, people and more people. Looking happy. And pampered. And probably smiling.

At least one of your daughter smiling and looking friendly and approachable.

These are nice abstract interior shots, but they're too abstract to sell a personal experience.

Suggestions:

I'd cut out some of the abstract shapes so you don't see the whole salon, and collage them into an abstract composition. Add a logo or other page furniture with some curves, and write some copy about how fantastic the experience is, and how many different options there are, how special some of the options are, how experienced your daughter is, maybe a testimonial, etc, etc.

Adding an online booking system could be useful too, so people don't need to call her while she's working.

You could keep the cool slightly abstract look, but I think it has to be personalised.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 04:28:58 PM EST
Yes, people in the pictures are essential!

For example, I can't tell from these whether the clients are expected to be young and modern, with spandex tops and belly-button piercings, or goths with vintage undergarments-worn-as-overgarments, or polite elderly ladies with blue hair, or businessmen...

One might also think about whether the purpose is to actually show the environment of the shop, including, for example, the legs of the chairs, or if it is more of an atmosphere sort of thing that would be effective advertising, where you might crop the pictures (by zooming in, perhaps) much more aggressively. There's always this desire to "get everything in" which sells lots of wide angle lenses, but if you look in magazine adverts, usually you can only see a nose and an eye or a leg and a shoe or something--really close up.

People like to dress up and get their pictures taken; perhaps a grand opening party could be arranged and suitable photos taken as part of the run-up...

by asdf on Fri May 29th, 2009 at 12:48:55 AM EST
Like this, sort of...

by asdf on Fri May 29th, 2009 at 12:57:27 AM EST
Mind you, generally, it always seems better to me to go for an abstract approach to things like beauty salons: the facilities are generally pretty clinical and uninspiring. So 2,5 and 6 are the only ones I'd consider using on a site.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 10:57:08 AM EST
I wouldn't use 2 without some messing around first. the bowl of flowers is a bit too bright.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 02:29:09 PM EST
You're right, of course: I'd already whined about the effects of the flash - I was talking about the composition.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 02:42:19 PM EST
The first four pictures give the wrong impression of (as afew said) hospitalness. But you can't have too many pictures of the waiting area either (though that is part of the experience). The picture of the bed with the orange flowers in left foreground is the best - though not ideal.

But I think you have done a good job with the technical resources available ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 11:22:57 AM EST
Hm.  I guess I will echo the above comments, and add that, as someone who enjoys a trip to the salon, I'd go to a salon website for basic information (location, price, appointments), and to look at their portfolio.  Unless the space itself is a huge draw, I don't know if I'd show a lot of photos of it.  And maybe the photos would be more appealing with people in them?  If you want to use a few of these 5, 9 are nice.

I'm not a photographer, but I have a pretty good eye.  In the future, I'd do more close-ups, focus on appealing objects.  For example, it looks like that sink in the corner is cool.  Take a picture of that, or the orange cabinet with the products inside and the bamboo on top.  Unlike the bowl of flowers, these are actually informative about the salon, and are also welcoming.

"Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms." -Dostoevsky

by poemless on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 03:04:38 PM EST
I think the only one that really works is 10. With something like this the aim is to make the viewer feel like they're in the experience, and also to imply what the experience feels like.

Flowers and a clean sunny view does that to an extent, even if the rest of the salon is in shadow.

The others are representational shots of the location - they're showing what it's looks like if you're standing around waiting for someone to turn up and something to happen. But they're not suggesting how great it would feel to get your hair cut there.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 04:40:58 PM EST
Thank you guys you helped a lot!

by vbo on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 06:31:38 PM EST

nice.

I love taking photos as well.

I discovered last week a great good tool : phototools 2.0 + Focalpoint from ononesoftware (P2P is my friend), I can stop myself playing with it.I feel like a pro with that ;-) so easy to get amazing results.

And if some of you have use a Canon compact camera I recommand to place the custom firmware CHDK (http://chdk.wikia.com) on your SD card (no risk at all).That will allow your camera to save in RAW, do bracketing  for HDR etc..
I have a SLR but with CHDK I mainly use my Ixius990, just great.

by fredouil (fredouil@gmailgmailgmail.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 07:20:49 PM EST
I would recommend to try a bit of HDR do get something more warm and natural (look on realestate.com.au, pictures are often with HDR, deep blue, warm lights with plenty of details).
by fredouil (fredouil@gmailgmailgmail.com) on Wed May 27th, 2009 at 07:30:38 PM EST