LPD: Footsteps along the Brampton Trail

by ceebs Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 01:04:44 PM EST

Monday was a day for exercise, so I decided that the thing to do was stroll along part of the Brampton Trail, A walking route spread out through the counties of Leicestershire and Northamptonshire in the Centre of England. Starting from The Village of Lamport in the centre of the trail, opposite Lamport Hall (The place where Garden Gnomes were introduced to the UK)

Wandering down from the village you come across the entrance to the trail, stretching off in either direction South to Northampton, and North to Market Harborough

Trails made of ash following the line of the old rail route, the full route is just over 16 miles in length and features two tunnels each in excess of 400 Metres in Length

Halfway down each tunnel is an Air Shaft set in the roof, about three metres across

Which gives quite a view up from the Bowels of the Earth.

Along the rouite the Detritus of our railway past is scattered. Ruined cottages, Broken Bridges,signs and rusting wire.

But Amongst the ruins, nature is taking over.

Thought you could all do without pictures of the blisters on two of my toes.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 01:11:33 PM EST
Thank you for your consideration.
by Sassafras on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 01:16:37 PM EST
well the stiffness from the 18 miles I ended up walking may have something to do with me being unable to reach down and take them. ;)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 01:23:08 PM EST
nice pix, ceebs. did you take any of the cottages?

glad you're over the funky chicken...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 04:54:36 PM EST
Unfortunately no, closest I got was the base of one thats been turned into a picnic area.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 05:19:24 PM EST
18 miles and no beer. I admire your forebearance.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 03:38:28 PM EST
There was a pub at the end. A fact that kept me going for the last few miles. ;)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 04:33:06 PM EST
Oh lovely! Takes me back. 3 years ago I was back at Foxton Locks - an absolutely mind-blowing historical Leicestershire artefact. How to take boats over hills. Something from which we can learn ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 06:56:41 PM EST
Will be doing that in a few weeks, so more pictures then to remind you of your roots. ;)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:14:37 PM EST
See this.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jun 12th, 2009 at 02:27:26 AM EST
Half an eye always cries when I see the traces of railways long gone...

Then again, a decade ago, I did just that, re-tracing narrow-gauge forestry railways looong gone, when hiking off the beaten path in the Börzsöny mountains near me. No passenger overpasses and cottages to discover, but some loading platforms and bridges.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:17:13 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:33:42 PM EST
Yes, dead railways are just wrong.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Jun 12th, 2009 at 04:24:38 AM EST
It has long been on my "to do" list to check out some of the hiking trails and canals in England - so this is nice little taste - thanks!!

by whataboutbob on Fri Jun 12th, 2009 at 07:37:52 AM EST
This weeks should be out into the woods, with a taste of Red Kites.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Jun 12th, 2009 at 11:52:03 AM EST