What's cooler than an iPad? An iPad with a windmill pic on it!

by Jerome a Paris Tue May 18th, 2010 at 09:17:35 AM EST

One argument that has always amazed me from wind opponents is the one that says, in an attempt to make the "ugliness" argument more serious, that wind turbines will reduce the value of property nearby.

And yet, we keep on seeing companies putting pretty pictures of wind turbines on the cover of their annual reports or in their ads. Basically, they are trying to find any way to show that they are modern, clean and good citizens, and a wind turbine seems to be the best way to do that. In other words (and it does not matter that the underlying motivation for most companies is greenwashing), a wind turbine carries a powerful, immediately identifiable message, embedding a lot of very positive values.

And the ultimate demonstration of this is this ad, now in the streets of Paris, for the forthcoming release of that quintessential icon, the iPad. They are not putting a picture of an iPad - they are putting a picture of an iPad with a picture of windmills on it (and even better for me: the headline on the screen actually says: "offshore wind growing in Europe"). In other words, wind turbines even increase the value of an iPad!

Thank you Apple for demonstrating that anti-wind arguments are just NIMBY in disguise!

Part of my series on Wind Power
Full disclosure: I advise wind developers on their financing needs.

You know what? I've ordered an iPad via a friend in the UK to avoid having to wait another six weeks or whatever for the Irish launch, I'm quite looking forward to it's arrival and still the pervasiveness of it in every media I look at is beginning to drive me insane.

Apple have a habit of picking images that work with their politics - Obama's inauguration featured on ads in the US.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 09:38:00 AM EST
That's just to distract lefties in Yurp from the fact that we Yanks got it a month and a half ago. :P

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 09:48:51 AM EST
Yes, thanks for the debugging phase,  Drew.  ;-)

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 09:50:32 AM EST
Unpossible.  There's no debugging because It's Just a Giant iPod TouchTM.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 09:54:57 AM EST
Has your wife given it back to you yet?
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 10:12:34 AM EST
Yes, I managed to frustrate her with a pinball game.  I think she gave up on trying to beat my score.

She's seized the iMac, though.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 10:18:21 AM EST

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 10:32:53 AM EST
All of you...

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.
by metavision on Tue May 18th, 2010 at 11:15:16 AM EST

Leave UK <dot> DT

by Oui - Dec 4
57 comments

It's Tory Austerity Stupid!

by Oui - Dec 9