Friday Photo Blog - The Neighborhood

by Wife of Bath Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 06:03:48 AM EST

I hope I'm not being presumptuous or stepping on any toes by doing a Friday Photo blog. I take so many photos, I thought it might be something I could contribute. So this week, as an introductory photo diary, I've chosen "The Neighborhood" as a subject, as surely many of you will have photos of your own areas that could be easily shared.

I find my neighborhood, in Berchtesgadener Land, especially beautiful. It makes living in a little apartment much easier (85 sq m) and, hopefully, will entice some Eurotribbers to visit. There are hundreds of hikes around here, plus historical sites, skiing... well, you have computers.  And the best part of our apartment is the L-shaped balcony with the view of Kehlstein.

The little tip of mountain just to the left of center is where Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest) is located.  This is basically the same balcony view at a different time:

front-paged by afew

And then in winter:

Here's at sunset:

And here's the balcony from which those shots were taken. This is a short part of the longer L from where I'm standing to photograph my grandchildren.

And here's the short base of the L, with me in a photo taken by my daughter.

How many photos am I supposed to put in a Friday photo diary?  Here are a few more taken while just walking around in the neighborhood and village:

So if anyone else starts participating in comments, then I'll show some additional photos, too.

Or maybe I'm supposed to start it out. So here's a horse I came across around the block:

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 08:38:56 AM EST
Thanks for bringing it back. :-D
by Fran on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 10:55:08 AM EST
Great idea, vielen Dank Frau Bath.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:12:51 PM EST
Bad.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 03:10:23 PM EST
Thanks, y'all. Hope I can keep it up. Suggestions for themes are appreciated, too... heh.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:21:08 PM EST
Lovely pictures and beautiful grandchildren. Well, maybe a boy grandchild wouldn't like being called "beautiful," but they're very nice looking kidlets.
by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 10:57:15 PM EST
THanks! Actually, it wouldn't bother him a bit. They're a weird and wonderful bunch - and I'm not biased, MUCH.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 02:52:17 AM EST
European Tribune - Friday Photo Blog - The Neighborhood
I hope I'm not being presumptuous or stepping on any toes

Emphatically not. Thanks for giving the Photoblog a new whirl!

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 08:46:47 AM EST

My favourite cafe down at the river. They grind the beans in-house. Great coffee. You can also sit out on the boat moored alongside.

Lots of moorings on the river, but very few flash boats.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 08:46:51 AM EST
Oh, I like that first picture. It makes me feel as if I'm right there, albeit bundled up against damp.
by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 10:58:35 PM EST
Since it's taken me a two years not to post the Bremen photo diaries i planned, might as well make a teaser.

Here's the view looking towards Times Square (ins Viertel.) Spiderman uses the glass pyramid (upper right) as a lookout,

This is a wall, behind my house, on the other side of which are the whorehouses. No direct connection.

Spidey lives around the corner, in my Nachbarschaft.

I traded neighborhoods to get away from this view outside my old house.

Now of course, i live with the gods and goddesses.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:15:02 AM EST
Wow, Bremen IS tantalizing.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:17:41 AM EST
Great pics, so when's the meetup for you to show off your marvelous home town ? :-))

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:17:36 PM EST
Who knew you were such a tease, Helen! Name the date and I'll start pulling out the blow-up mattresses.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:22:33 PM EST
Heh, that was for CH.

I will gladly consider the high mountains for spring and summer, but autumn and the early onset of snow, frost and creaking joints will require careful consideration. However, I can fly to Munich (a great starting place imo) and eventually, after a few pubs, I can catch a train to Salzburg.

I see from the DB map there's a steam railway near you. Does it run this time of year ?

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:50:05 PM EST
Damn. I must ACHTUNG besser.

But don't fear the cold, we keep lots of warm drinks on hand and could pick you up in Munich.

Any other takers? The van holds 5 in the back with me and Heinz in front.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:37:43 PM EST
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 01:26:43 PM EST
"Scharfberg Mountain. To get to this sight, visitors take a boat from St. Gilgen to the town of St. Wolfgang, from there they take a historic steam train to the top of the mountain."  This is a feature of tourism in Salzburg. From what I've seen so far, it's a summer-season thing.

I can't find the steam locomotive in Germany. I've gotten as far as here

which shows the ones that were withdrawn from service (bottom of the page... 1999 most recent). I'll keep looking.  DoDo?

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:07:40 AM EST
Helen says DB map, so she probably means the Chiemseebahn (RailFanEurope pictures here). That one runs on weekends from April to September. The Scharfbergbahn is a rack railway in Austria (RailFanEurope pictures here), which runs until 26 October this year.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:17:33 PM EST
Crazy Horse:

Oh, they bricked up your private entrance! Too many complaints?

(are those vestals guarding it?)

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 04:47:16 AM EST
The bricked up door leads to a ruin, with cathouses on either side. It's what gives the place it's charm... and light.

PS. They've never had complaints from me. The ladies don't hang out the back windows much anymore, the way they once did. ;-)

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:01:33 PM EST

by Fran on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:17:29 AM EST
Those remind me of my own neighborhood.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:18:19 AM EST
But without the mountains, I assume.
by Fran on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:47:41 AM EST
Larger neighborhood

by Fran on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:44:08 AM EST
I truly love that frog.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:23:07 PM EST
How wonderful to be able to sail in the city. I'm assuming that it is, in a city, I mean.
by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:08:44 PM EST
Yes, it is the area above the hydro-powerstation

and the last lock on the river Rhine that can be used by big commercial ships and only for the next 500m

after that it is only for small boats

The last picture is taken from the lock towards the city

by Fran on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 11:19:08 AM EST
Forgive ignorance, but what city are we talking about?

Just now I'm living rather far inland with not even a large lake nearby, and I so miss moving water. So, vicariously, through pictures.

by Mnemosyne on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 11:08:19 PM EST
Sorry - its Basel:

Basel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basel English pronunciation: ˈbɑːzəl or Basle ˈbɑːl (German: Basel, pronounced [ˈbaːzəl])[note 1] is Switzerland's third most populous city with about 166,000 inhabitants.[2] Located where the Swiss, French and German borders meet, Basel also has suburbs in France and Germany. With 830,000 inhabitants in the tri-national urban agglomeration as of 2004, Basel is Switzerland's second-largest urban area.[3]

though I do not live it Basel itself, but in a village just bordering the city.

by Fran on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 05:08:52 AM EST
From the Cathedral terrace, we spotted people in the river with big orange buoys. Closer investigation revealed locals disrobing on the river bank, stuffing their things into a sort of big vinyl handbag, filling with air to taste, and jumping in with it. Lacking handbags, we were obliged to leave our things on the riverbank and restrict ourselves to short floats. Charming custom. Far too dirty and dangerous to be allowed in France.

by eurogreen on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 07:41:07 AM EST
What happens if you float a bit too far and end up in France?
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 11:57:06 AM EST
Bad things.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 03:42:56 PM EST
Oh I remember Basel...I have been there few times...about 37 years ago...huh...seems like some other life now, ha-ha....have some romantic memories...

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 03:17:14 AM EST
Oh, that falling rain is so beautiful.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:16:06 PM EST
Here's a Gasthaus we walked to, followed by the view one gets from nearby looking down toward our neighborhood.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:33:19 AM EST
Really nice diary and wonderful photos!!

The Photo Blog has always been one of my favorite diaries on ET. I always enjoy seeing other people's pictures (of themselves or their 'hood), so thanks so much for sharing and bringing this feature back. It definitely makes me want to take you up on your offer to come for a visit! You live in beautiful surroundings!

One day, someday soon I hope, I'll figure out how to post pictures myself. So far, however, the learning curve has just been too steep and I still get baffled. :-(

by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:58:40 PM EST
I know just how you feel, but if you ever want me to Skype you on your phone while you're on your computer and talk you through it, I would be glad to.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:39:13 PM EST
Thanks for your kind offer of assistance.

My grandson asks me the same thing, "can we Skype?," but alas no, they don't let us villagers do that here anymore. Maybe once upon a time we had the privilege, but not now. More likely though, is that the technology just hasn't arrived here yet because there's not enough bandwidth. :-( Would it be possible to ask you just one quick question by email?

by sgr2 on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 07:34:15 AM EST
Not enough bandwidth? In Finland? Thou jesteth. Even the cows have RFID. ;-)

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 07:49:41 AM EST
Well, if even the cows are eating up bandwith, I'm not surprised if there isn't enough of the stuff to go around...

Economics is politics by other means
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 07:52:33 AM EST
I'm told that in principle it should work, but it just doesn't. Perhaps dna chose to give our bandwidth to the cows instead.

It may come as a surprise to a cosmopolitan Porvoolainen such as yourself, but fresh roasted coffee beans haven't made it to these parts either. Although I did see some kind of sugary cold concoction being offered by Starbucks in the local K-market recently.

by sgr2 on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 08:25:17 AM EST
I am quite particular with my after dinner coffee, though that doesn't extend to roasting my own beans. I use an Ikea 'Kaffe', and make it strong with a mix of an espresso grind with a Sth American grind (robusta and arabica). It is usally appreciated to the extent that I am the go-to coffee person in this tribal village.

Last night we had an voluble Argentinian lady in the culture business for dinner, who had an opinion on almost everything. She praised my coffee highly, which is lucky for her because I was just warming up for a bit of critical volubility myself.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 11:16:09 AM EST
The primitive solution to not having a roastery nearby.

by ElaineinNM on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 11:57:05 AM EST
Say, that smells good!

And it reminds me of an article I read recently about some creative type who had used spent coffee bean shells to create a path. He/she claimed that not only was the path nice to walk on but it also had a heavenly smell.

I have a nice, heavy cast iron skillet similar to yours, so maybe one of these days I'll give it a try. How do you know when the beans are finished roasting? Can you offer up any instructions?

Became rather spoiled in London, buying a Bodum french press and having Sulawesi (strong flavored beans from Indonesia) freshly ground. Now that was good tasting coffee!

by sgr2 on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 12:54:55 PM EST
Well, here's my favorite coffee site: http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php  Lots of good information and a good price on beans.  I'm not sure where the cheapest place for you to order would be but google around for a home roaster's forum.  There must be one in Finland!

We've used the small computerized home roasters, but actually find the 'dutch oven' method just as quick and good. We graduated from a cast iron skillet to a dutch oven and can thus roast about 4 cups of beans at a time--a week's worth.  I turn the gas burner to high and use a metal whisk and keep the beans moving.  Coffee beans burn easily. It's also smokey, so we open windows and use a fan to blow it outside.  When I started roasting, I put a dish of roasted beans beside the stove and compared color.  We like a good French roast, so I pull it off just as it starts to develop a sheen and there are still some brown beans.  Himself dumps the beans into a colander and runs them outside and stirs madly with a whisk to cool them off and release the remaining smoke to the environment.  Good stuff!

by ElaineinNM on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 01:16:03 PM EST
Excellent! Thanks Elaine, I'm going to try it.
by sgr2 on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 04:37:33 PM EST
Great web site! And LOL a quick google searched showed Sweet Maria's physical location to be only about a mile away from Lake Merritt Plaza in Oakland where I had quite a few clients and spent a lot of time. What a funny coincidence!
by sgr2 on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 04:13:22 PM EST
I found: "Green beans last two years, roasted beans last 2 weeks, fresh ground coffee last 2 hours" in wikipedia. My mind has been (sic) opened. Thank you Elaine, I am going to try some roasting.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 04:18:53 PM EST
The key is to get the pan as hot as possible,  keep the beans moving and then get them out of the pan about 30 seconds before you think they are ready. Getting the pan hot before you put the beans in really speeds up the roasting time.  And I prop a saucepan lid partially over the beans to keep the heat in while I stir.

Let me know how it goes!

by ElaineinNM on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 04:37:52 PM EST
Please do. The address is in my info.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 09:54:44 AM EST
Thanks, email on its way!
by sgr2 on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 06:10:27 AM EST
email not yet received. kareninaustin at gmail.com but the @ symbol, of course, and no spaces.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 08:19:05 AM EST
Hmm, my email claims to have successfully delivered the message last night at 10:52 pm Finnish time. With me has been no good luck lately. Maybe I'll post a comment about in today's Open Thread, but then again, maybe not. What good would it do anyway?  :-(

Momma said there'd be days like this . . .

by sgr2 on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 04:35:53 PM EST
It looks lovely but I bet it's getting cold even now.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:18:24 PM EST
Fri, Sat, Sun highs are 11, lows are -1, -5 and -2 for the forecast. Having grown up in the south in the USA, I'm getting a kick out of getting to wear winter clothes.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:25:12 PM EST

This is Ludde. He lives down by the church, but is visiting us at the moment - as he does often. Ludde has the mind of a moose.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:57:46 PM EST
You're lucky to have such a nice visitor. Ludde looks like a real sweetheart. Does he like to have behind his floppy ears massaged?

Okay, I can't help but ask: How does Ludde's "mind of a moose" manifest exactly?

by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:07:01 PM EST
Mostly by having a one-track mind and crashing into things.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:14:46 PM EST
Typical Irish. Setter behavior, I mean. ;-)
by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 03:16:59 PM EST
Oooooo, I could roll my face around in that fur all evening.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:40:09 PM EST

A frequent visitor to my neighbourhood, although on this occasion a couple of months ago, we were visiting the Olkiluoto nuclear power site in research of a script. A stage and screen director. We often sit in the rainy cafe (above) talking shop.

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 01:12:45 PM EST
Interesting topic for a documentary. I hope your research and script will uncover some details on the disposal of the nuclear waste that's created at the Olkiluoto plant. Not much has been spoken about that.
by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:19:02 PM EST
...neighbours flutter by:

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 03:20:21 PM EST
You've got some good looking neighbors too. Lovely!
by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 03:44:19 PM EST
Lovely pictures, and in the first one I thought I could reach right through the monitor to touch it.
by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:07:16 PM EST
Don't! It'll move! ;)
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 01:36:28 AM EST
And here's one of the views FROM Kehlsteinhaus:

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:09:38 PM EST
wow, you could use one of those flying suits to get home quickly

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:45:14 PM EST
Great WoB. ET has found some new blood ;)

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:12:24 PM EST
My front yard-last November.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:45:57 PM EST
At a bus stop in Paris.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 04:53:21 PM EST
Always love your pics LEP!
by sgr2 on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 05:14:26 PM EST
My interpretation of the revival of the photo blog: the depression is ending and prosperity is just aroud the corner ;)

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 05:27:42 PM EST
Sure, that must be what it is...heh. Hope you don't mind that I saved those beautiful golden leaves to my hard drive, but I named the file "LEP gold leaves."

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 05:45:59 PM EST
Just so WoB doesn't get too homesick, I thought I'd post a bit of Southwesty local color... the annual outhouse race on mainstreet.

The volunteer fire department hard at work!

The local saloon even had an entry.

The most creative!

by ElaineinNM on Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 07:28:55 PM EST
No bamboo?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 01:36:52 AM EST
Wow. What I miss about America. Thanks.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:10:14 AM EST
Here are some of my favorite neighbors:

Don't know why all my photos seem to have a blurriness that isn't usually there. Must be doing something wrong somewhere.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:14:09 AM EST
If the originals at full camera resolution are sharp (in focus), then it is the compression method that you are using that causes the 'blur'.

If you have Photoshop, (or similar) then here's the 4 step program:

Step 1: (optional) apply any image manipulation at full resolution (I usually increase both contrast and brightness a tad).

Step 2: Change the <image size> to a width of between 400 - 600 pixels.

Step 3: Apply gentle <sharpen filter> to increase apparent definition.

Step 4: <Save> as jpeg, and choose <quality> as '5'. This will bring the file size down to 100-200k.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:47:46 AM EST
Thanks! I no longer have photoshop, but will see what I can do to utilize these suggestions with some other program. It's really disconcerting to see my photos go from sharp to blurry.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:56:42 AM EST
There's a freeware called Irfanview that does decent work on jpegs.

Follow Sven's suggestions, except that Irfanview applies automatic sharpen when you reduce image size (which is best, for posting here, set to 600px on the longest side of the image). As for the "quality" level, in Irfanview it's by percentage (when you save the file). Try 80% and see if the file size is between 100K and 200K. If it's above, resave with a lower percentage until you get into that range (this is to ensure snappy enough loading for those with less bandwidth).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 06:18:44 AM EST
If using Irfanview, I also recommend to mark "Disable color subsampling" in the jpeg save options (there are similar options in other image editors, too).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 02:58:13 PM EST
Dupe comment deleted.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 06:19:03 AM EST
Thanks.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 06:43:09 AM EST

Gate to Porvoo cathedral. Some parts date from 13th C, though it was mostly built in the 15th C.

The church square. On the left is the Little Chocolate Factory.

The route through the square and down the narrow street to the right is my trike run downtown.  The cobbles provide an invigorating effect.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 03:21:47 AM EST
For those of the American persuasion, your 13th C was entirely aboriginal. It would still be another 4 centuries before the religious misfits landed and brought the game 'Angry Wirds' to your shores.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 12:05:37 PM EST
Some more pictures from Jesi. Besides a plaque honouring Giordano Bruno, they also have a park named after two victims of another, less holy, inquisition. The park is being rennovated, but I managed to get this picture from a distance, through a gap in the fence.

The centre of Piazza Federico II also has an inscription in Arabic, presumably informing you that he was born here

Some pictures from nearby Cingoli

View from Cingoli

by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 01:12:39 PM EST
just been shown a link for the ideal toy for this subject

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 02:40:41 PM EST
Wow...interesting stuff.

by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 03:22:55 AM EST
WANTING.....

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 09:58:05 AM EST
Back in November 2007, Friday Photo Blog #13 had a section titled In my neighborhood. I posted a long entry there. Unfortunately I have no newer photos to add.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 04:01:55 PM EST
Those were great photos in a wonderful diary. I can see it will be tough to think up good new themes.

Maybe for the coming Friday: Skies?  One can go pretty broad with Skies (even photos in airborne transport, for instance.)

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:04:03 AM EST
I'll put this suggestion to you and all others interested in the Photoblog: how about posting it regularly but not as often as weekly? The previous one ran out of steam partly because, I think, people had posted a lot of their photos. Themes need choosing that will winkle out the ones they didn't think of posting -- but it might also work out better if done, say, fortnightly?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:52:29 AM EST
Or by theme: it might very well be a good time to post a "nostalgia for summer" thread ...

We could probably manage one every month to six weeks.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:02:25 AM EST
I've already stated my belief that there is enough keen amateur photographic talent here to provide visuals for any ET communications that may be published. To be effective, such cooperative communications need other skills than just a mastery of the specific facts and argument in written form. A sense of wider cooperation - that include these skills - would, imo, enable many more users to participate.

But those photographs are hard to pull out of personal albums. So they need to be taken. Some need to be specific such as DoDo's rail diaries, but the layout of some reports/communications could use some more general symbolism. And we are all capable of those types of pictures, with a little creative thought and stretching of technical skills.

Say, for instance, that DoDo wanted to do a report on the future of mass transit in Europe: we have photographers in a dozen European cities who could contribute- given a brief brief on the subject.

Therefore I suggest, at least occasionally, a photo diary with a pre-announced theme - and a month or so until the photos (or graphics) are submitted to the diary. Finding an already-taken picture from personal files is also OK - if it illustrates the theme.

Such a diary could well lead to interesting discussions ;-)

by Sven Triloqvist on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:31:15 AM EST
I know I've already posted this, but Jérôme's off on his travels and so this is one of his neighbourhood.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 04:09:54 PM EST
My soraundings...

and my grandaughter

by vbo on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 at 05:37:37 PM EST

A July late night in our garden.

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 04:21:33 AM EST
It makes living in a little apartment much easier (85 sq m)

That's the American speaking...

Economics is politics by other means

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 07:53:32 AM EST
Hard to fit the necessities of life in 85 square meters.  Even saving a bit of floor space by placing the ping-pong top on the pool table, as needed, but there's still no room for the bowling alley and indoor swimming pool.

by ATinNM on Sun Oct 16th, 2011 at 12:53:49 PM EST
It's hard for me to fit a 2m x 14m fencing strip in my living room...

Economics is politics by other means
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 04:31:35 AM EST
Have you tried folding it?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 06:13:12 AM EST
My first apartment in Virginia was 49 square meters in this Soviet-looking concrete tower outside the Beltway, with 30-year-old elevators that broke down every week.  Lower floors had rats.  All floors had roaches.  Great place.

Everybody used to jokingly call it East Berlin.

When people ask why I got the hell out of Washington, I tell them about it, and then tell them the price.

$1,200 per fucking month.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 07:37:12 AM EST
Yep, that would be more than reason enough.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:10:32 AM EST
Oh, drats. I hate being American.

In my adult life I've lived in everything from 300 sq ft to 2400 sq ft (29 sq meters to 223 sq meters) and the size of the place never dictated the happiness it contained. I will say, though, that with 7 visitors over a weekend this summer (making 9 of us total), happiness would have been greatly improved by having more than one bathroom.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:09:49 AM EST
I'm just teasing you...

Economics is politics by other means
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:53:48 AM EST
For some parts of the US you probably need to use cubic ft rather than sq ft. I had a very small apartment in NYC, but it had 9-10 ft ceilings, with a bed 6ft up, so it wasn't as bad as it would seem.
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:16:20 AM EST
Even if you don't have a raised bed, the higher ceilings make a world of difference.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 06:24:16 AM EST
Yes, I grew up in old houses in Louisiana and have always felt a bit claustrophobic with 8 foot ceilings. The apartment we had in New Orleans had 14 ft ceilings, then our house in Austin, where we lived for 13 years before moving to Germany, had ceilings that were 8 ft high and I remarked to friends "oh god, please don't let me die in a house with 8 foot ceilings."

Be careful what you wish for. Our apartment here has ceilings that are 7 ft 10 inches high.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 08:11:23 AM EST
My parents actually opted for no attic (and thus higher ceilings) when they built their house.  I'd guess they're about 15 feet.

Only problem with that is all the men in the family are terrified of heights, so changing lightbulbs is pretty traumatizing.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Wed Oct 19th, 2011 at 05:45:15 AM EST
Yeah...space does not make happiness but it is good that people can calm down easier when they have enough space.
In Serbia there is a song " For happiness it's enough to have 30m2"...and song is telling about happy memories that that person has from the time when he lived in small apartment in ex YU (most of the people still live in smaller apartments there) comparing with "castle" he now has living abroad but not being happy. Anyway. Some 30 years ago my husband and I built our new house in the centre of Belgrade and it was 80 m2, two floors (ground floor and bedrooms and bath at the attic). We were so proud. We managed to put 3 bedrooms (boy were they small), and even two toilets (on every floor).Then my cousin from UK (Sheffield) came to visit and she told me " We feel so sorry that you people need to live in so small houses/apartments". Hah...we felt so lucky that we had 80m2 and now she said that...
Later when I came here in Australia I found out that at the time the average house here was 200m2 and now they are 300m2 and getting bigger. The trouble is that there are no big families anymore and only 2-3 people live in these houses. Waste of space, definitely.
My house here is 200m2 and is really too big for two of us (with children coming and going and with business that we have made here we still need to stay here).All tho block is not big but needs a lot of gardening (full time job) and maintaining little swimming pool (part time job) ha-ha.
If we ever manage to go back to Serbia I would like small house close to Belgrade on a Danube river and big block but with fruits...and little flower and other plants. And maybe little spa just to have a place to wet yourself during increasingly tropical Belgrade's summers.

by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:56:06 PM EST
I wouldn't want to have to take care of more space than we have now. Except for an extra half bath, of course.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 08:13:18 AM EST
I am with you...

by vbo on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 06:10:08 PM EST
Plenty of Americans live in smallish spaces. The house we raised our two kids in was 24x40 feet which is about 90 square meters. We had a basement full of junk and eventually added one bedroom down there, but only had one bathroom for the duration. This was a typical arrangement in huge swaths of suburbs built across the country in the 1950s. Many pre-war houses were even smaller.

It is certainly true that a lot of new houses are huge, but housing stock built before about 1980 was fairly reasonable in size.

by asdf on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 06:33:22 PM EST
They are going crazy here in Australia. When I came here 13 years ago the average house built was 3 bedroom + study, formal living room and family room, formal dining and family dining, regular bathroom and main bedroom bathroom with separate toilets, laundry and dabble garage, and obviously covered pergola outside and swimming pool because of the climate. If it was two story house they had another living room upstairs.
Then after awhile it was 4 bedroom + study and another living area and separate entrance for kids and bathroom for them plus rumpus for pool playing (game room).Later they had cinema room. Lately they have not just bathroom for every single room but also living room (I expect soon kitchen with every room)so it is becoming more like group of apartments in one house. So everyone has his own apartment and we do not need to see each other at all even if we live in the same house. To illustrate I'll put some photos (can't copy them).

Cinema room:

outside:

more garages:

bedroom with a bathroom:

game room

Well if you are interested have a look here

And it's not just luxury homes that look like this. One cannot even find modest say 2 bedroom house to build for the sake of life. Crazy...

by vbo on Tue Oct 18th, 2011 at 08:42:22 PM EST
And while I am here few photos from my granddaughters birthday on Sunday.

by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:19:46 PM EST
I forgot to say that this was a party just for our adult friends. Next weekend she will have school friends and children...

by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:22:11 PM EST
Finally I have time to comment your photos WOB. I like them very much...they bring atmosphere of the place to me. And it's so green...you must love it. Yes some photos are blurry and it's a pity but you can fix it once you have software. Photoshop is the best for me.
I am "city girl" and I also plan as I am getting older to once live in a small town next to Belgrade...we'll see how it will go if it ever happens. I lived for 4 years in a part of Wellington (NZ) that was just like a village. I was younger...I liked it from the beginning but later I started to miss city. When we came here in Brisbane, first night I went on balcony of our hotel room and I was amazed to HEAR CITY again. I loved it.Lately I am sick of city noise (all tho I live in suburb but on a main street and it's noisy)...I would like to hear silence for a change, ha-ha.

by vbo on Mon Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:32:09 PM EST