Sun Dec 4th, 2011 at 10:41:43 AM EST
This is a call for help. I need to provide some holiday (namely, Christmas) presents for two young ladies, ages 13 and 11, who come from an American family with a strong German heritage. They're good readers, and need some age-appropriate books with a German orientation. The older likes to ski, the younger likes art, both are "world citizens."
My pathetic ideas so far:
- Heidi, an adult translation.
- Biography of <famous german girl ski racer>
- Adventure book along the lines of The Moonstone or The Riddle of the Sands, but with a German (not British anti-German) focus.
- Bauhaus, an overview of German art scene in the 1920s.
- History of the Wandervogel movement. Or is there a current handbook?
- Something similar to the Swallows and Amazons series, again, from Germany. What did German kids read in the 1930s? (Obviously avoiding propaganda...)
- Something with German on one page and equivalent English translation on the opposite page. They don't read any German, but will be pressed to starting right about now.
Suggestions? Ideally this would be supplied via Amazon or similar.