A weekend with scenes from the 1940's

by ceebs Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:30:25 PM EST

Annually I end up helping with a local Music societies fund raising craft fair. for which i end up directing traffic,  into and out of the car parking facilities,  being up at an obscene  hour of the morning to help stallholders set up, and be overnight security.

The site used for this is in the gardens of a local country house. a walled garden of which is used as one of the car parks.  In part of the walled garden there is a miniature railway track, which it has been suggested will be running each year, but up till now hadn't happened.

finally this year it did.

and over the next few hours we also had a range of 1940's aircraft passing on their way to nearby air displays.

the second day I was however more likely to see submarines rather than trains or aircraft. Horizontal rain being the main feature of the day.

So here is a diary for  photos of things of a mechanical bent

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:31:15 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:33:38 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:34:53 PM EST
True steam model locos are cool. But the time needed to fire up the boiler also approaches that of full-size steam locos, I hear.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 07:10:02 AM EST
Unfortunately, I  was out directing traffic, and didn't see till it was all running round the track., i do have some very dodgy video, taken from rough ground between cars, so very shaky as i moved around to capture it, but might be that touch too big for youtube

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 07:15:25 AM EST
Actually true steam model locos are hot. Probably not as hot as full size locos as I doubt they use superheaters but probably still managing 150 C. Which'd raise a hefty blister

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 08:14:19 AM EST
The little coal bin is so cute!

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Sep 9th, 2011 at 05:17:53 AM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:34:12 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:31:47 PM EST
Lancaster?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:41:33 PM EST
yep, that and the spitfire are the Battle of Britain flight (Their hurricane must be being out of use)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:43:12 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:32:24 PM EST
Spit.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:42:18 PM EST
Yes flew nearly overhead as  the lanc flew past just to my right. just managed to catch them both. and then had the Mustang fly past in the opposite direction five minutes later

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:46:58 PM EST
My first Airfix build was the Spitfire - I was maybe 12. Then a Lanc, and a P-51 - so all my first builds represented here!

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 06:05:44 AM EST
I still have my Spitfire Mk IX model hanging in my office... The decals are pretty  much gone after 40+ years!

It is scary to think that in 1970, 1945 was only 25 years in the past, but in 2011, 1970 is 41 years in the past. If you think about the impact that the late 1960s had on (some of) us, just imagine the baggage that our parents were carrying around at that time that we were completely innocent of...

by asdf on Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 11:10:48 AM EST
Same here; and at about the same age. I'm afraid they haven't survived the many moves since the 70s...
by Bernard on Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 03:43:29 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:32:57 PM EST
Dunno. Foreign?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:48:06 PM EST
Its a US Mustang

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:50:40 PM EST
Oh, so a Mustang.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:51:08 PM EST
Hello, the Mustang is the airplane that saved Europe--along with the B-17. If you would watch our History Channel you would be more aware of how the U.S. of A. totally rescued you.

Note: The Mustang used a Rolls-Royce engine design. It is somewhat confusing to us Americans why this was the case, but obviously somebody made a small mistake along the line. Ford could have come up with something better, undoubtedly...

by asdf on Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 11:14:42 AM EST
This is called "sailing close to the wind".

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 01:35:31 PM EST
We're on the BoB flight's regular route to biggin and other places, so we normally see them quite a bit over the summer. But we've had a lot of low cloud this year and so I can only remember seeing the Spits a couple of times, the hurricane once.

But I don't remember seeing a Mustang ever, I guess it's cos I don't associate it with the BoBF so I don't look for it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 05:20:23 PM EST
I was only looking because I thought it must be the hurricane, or the spit coming back, it sounded mostly similar, but a bit different.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 06:13:50 PM EST
The roar of 4 Merlins; once heard, never forgotten

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Sep 7th, 2011 at 06:18:01 AM EST
Yeah, like gigantic tractor engines in the sky...
by asdf on Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 11:15:29 AM EST
Big train festival coming up in Nebraska next week. The big Union Pacific steam engine 844 will be there...

This video gives an idea of why the big steam locomotives chewed up the tracks from their vibration...also the many level crossings we have to deal with...main job of engineer is to blow the whistle...pressure a bit high at 3:26...in the air at 4:35...talk about a scary job!

by asdf on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:54:51 AM EST
by asdf on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:57:42 AM EST
What a monster...

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:42:25 PM EST