Paris Meet Up 2012 Photo Diary

by Wife of Bath Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 08:06:14 AM EST

As promised (and this will teach people to be careful what they ask for) here is my photo diary for the EuroTrib April 2012 Paris Meet Up.

I'll begin with the view leading up to Paris as our Air France flight from Munich was landing at CDG:

I am inordinately fond of these "fields of gold" and have so many photos of them from visits to Europe going back to 1989 that they serve as proof of an obsession.

Here, of course, we have arrived and are near our apartment.  The boxy trees crack me up.

One must expect military-style monuments when one stays by the Ecole Militaire. (Please supply your own accent graves and accent agues to my commentary.)

Heinz (Husband of Bath - HoB) and afew examine Le Tour Eiffel made of bread in the window of Poilane, to which Helen led us on Friday afternoon.  She is my new Jaywalking God.

And at last we arrive at the scene of feast number one, a couscous orgy at L'Ordener, thanks to LEP.  In front of the establishment you see gk and Helen.

Seated inside, left to right are gk, Luis de Sousa, Bernard and Ted Welch.

Below, Cyrille and afew.

Now you see Helen, dvx and LEP (our darling host.)

Now we have Linca and Cyrille, with afew's arm.

Naturally it would be hard for some vegetarians to resist meats offered up so charmingly.

No, not just documentation of Ted and Linca, but due reverence paid to the broth and vegetables served with the couscous.

And Eurogreen (far left corner) made the party before we broke up; hooray!

Bernard, Ted, Colman and Linca, with bits of Luis and Cyrille edging in.

A good shot of LEP in the center and Herr Bath in the foreground.

And on the way home, a quick shot of the Eiffel Tower.

I'll be interspersing the rest of the photos, from Saturday and Sunday, in the comments.  I'll just say in closing the "formal" part of the diary that this was one of the best European experiences I've ever had.  It is quite strange and also comforting to meet people for the first time, already knowing and caring for them beforehand.

Yes, meeting people in the flesh is really an important part of the whole meetup experience. It's one thing to believe you know and like somebody from conversing online, but it's a much more rounded experience when you can see their faces, see them react, get a feel for who they are behind the persona.

And, when all else fails, there's also drink

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 08:27:16 AM EST
I say drink first, all else fail afterwards.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 08:48:27 AM EST
I don't have to explain why I'm LOLing myself.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 08:57:51 AM EST
Heinz and I got a bit laterally extended up there, let's try this:

A great weekend, and a great pleasure to meet you and Heinz. Yes, meet-ups are good things!

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 08:56:26 AM EST
Here's another one...

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 09:01:26 AM EST
Thanks so much, didn't know how to do that myself!

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:01:14 AM EST
Great diary.  Thanks so much for posting!
by ElaineinNM on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 09:16:49 AM EST
European Tribune - Paris Meet Up 2012 Photo Diary

mumble mumble rape fantasy mumble mumble...

[eurogreen's Macho Moment of the Day™ Technology]

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 09:36:25 AM EST
Wondered who would be making that comment... heh.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:02:00 AM EST
It's a dirty job, but someone had to do it.

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:14:18 AM EST
behind that comment. In any case it's one of my favorite scenes, wherever encountered; but it always reminds me of France first.

In my neck-of-the-woods it's rarely seen. In Oregon there are actually regulatory and civil-law obstacles. Started over the fact that the seed is readily dispersed, and the plants seems to dominate rather readily. Has caused problems with neighboring crops.

In WA the wheat and orchard agriculture is mature with an entrenched infrastructure. The oil crops lack related infrastructure, and this has impaired deployment of the industry here. May be changing soon due to recent energy strategy developments.

paul spencer

by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:49:04 AM EST
I'm fond of photographing proto-canola myself. The chrome yellow en masse certainly tingles my retina. It's also my huile de préférence in the kitchen - but only grand crew of course.

(thought I'd throw in some accents for you since they're a dime a dozen)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:22:39 AM EST
Nice pictures WoB!
by Fran on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 10:40:49 AM EST
Thanks, Fran. Here come some more.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:02:16 AM EST
One bottle per person, it appears... I am not qualified for this crew!
by asdf on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:08:34 AM EST
Why, not enough or to much?
by Fran on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:13:29 AM EST
The others are under the table.

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:14:50 AM EST
Bottles, or attendees?

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman
by dvx (dvx.clt ät gmail dotcom) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 04:06:14 PM EST
Don't let the photos fool you; empties were removed from the table.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:42:46 AM EST
Here's a produce market on the Rue Cler near the apartment.

And a cheese shop:

Cafe and side street:

Eiffel Tower Saturday morning:

Helen, afew and Heinz walking ahead of me to Le Cantelou:  (afew, maybe you can unwiden this one, too?)

Wish I'd been able to hear the discussion:

Does this photo make my butt look wide? Statue of Liberty on the way to Le Cantelou:

Looking back at le Tour Eiffel from the Statue of Liberty.

Helen and afew on the bridge.

Political posters on bridge. When we were walking home about 12 hours later, they'd all been defaced.

Finally at Le Cantelou:  Ted, Eurogreen, Colman, afew, (dvx behind Cyrille?) Cyrille, LEP.

Next photos will be lunch at Le Cantelou.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:13:52 AM EST
because of the aspect ratio.

What you're doing wrong is forcing the width to 600, that's ok for the landscape ones, whereas the vertical-format ones are less wide than that, so they get stretched. If you posted them without any specific width, it might save your beautiful friendship with Helen and Afew.

by eurogreen on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:22:24 AM EST
LOL.

I can fix the ones in the diary body, but not in the comments. They would have to be deleted and reposted.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:43:35 AM EST
I'll give that a try. Next time. Afew has plenty of photos with which to wreak revenge.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:44:33 AM EST
Clockwise:  Dear Leader, Colman, Helen, afew, ?, gk, Cyrille, LEP, Herr Bath's moustache.

Redstar, kinder, wife, teen and friend, Linca.

Bernard's pizza.  Yum.

Playing dueling cameras with Luis de Sousa.

Eurogreen, Jerome, Colman, Helen, afew, dvx (standing), gk, wrists and hands, Linca.

Add Bernard and Ted.

And a contented Luis.

And now we're riding the Waves (at Les Ondes). You know the names by now, but first on the left there is dvx.

My husband in wide view.

And my proof that I was there, too.

You know them by now!

Heinz' (Herr Bath) salad. Wow.

Discussion is lively.

Walking back to the apartment, late. Got a few shots in there for Crazy Horse. Have to include the Eiffel Tower shots, too. It's a great walk.

View from the apartment window, Rue Duquesne:

On the walk on Sunday with Luis, Bernard, Helen, afew and Spouses of Bath.

Part of our group in front of their place of worship, the Pavillon Colbert. (heh)

And the last shot above was goodbye to Paris as we headed for the train to the airport.

If I ever have to miss another meetup, it will be with copious tears running down my face! Thanks from the bottom of my heart to a group of thrilling people.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 11:40:53 AM EST
great photos. thank you

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu May 3rd, 2012 at 06:11:08 AM EST
Hi y'all!

I'm sorry I couldn't attend the Paris meet-up! Looks like you had a lot of fun.

I hope I will not miss the next one. Meanwhile, anybody for a Central Africa meet-up?

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 01:58:18 PM EST
How much wine will there be?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 02:23:51 PM EST
Well, there is wine, and beer. And there is even a good French restaurant held by a lyonnais...

by Melanchthon on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 02:58:53 PM EST
We'll manage, then!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 03:19:51 PM EST

With temperatures of 45 ? No thanks :-) Now if you arrange one back in Lyon some time ...

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 02:36:45 PM EST
Hi, Ted!

Well, we had only 44°C under shelter today. It was much hotter last week in Nokou...

by Melanchthon on Sat May 5th, 2012 at 03:33:15 PM EST
I think they will force me into retirement this summer, I hope to be able to make a Paris meet-up.  the pictures were very nice.  Best wishes to all.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man...'" Robbie Robertson
by NearlyNormal on Sun May 6th, 2012 at 10:15:00 PM EST