by Frank Schnittger
Wed Jan 3rd, 2018 at 01:12:21 AM EST
At this time of the year we often test our prognostication skills by making some predictions for 2018. Please add your own in the comments. Here's some to start the conversation:
- Brexit - becomes less and less important in EU27 countries. A poll finds that 29% of Europeans think it has happened already. No Brexit deal is agreed in 2018, with the first deal negotiated rejected by the UK Parliament or withdrawn before Parliament can reject it. UK economic growth continues to decline. May says she will deliver a red, white and blue Brexit. With British passports becoming blue again, she has already delivered one third of her election promises.
- A Hollywood star will be outed for not abusing women.
- New CDU/SDP Grand Coalition in Germany builds alliance with Macron on an EU reform agenda. A Eurozone Finance Minister is appointed with a budget equivalent to Juncker's expense account.
- Trump starts a war somewhere about something in time for Mid-term elections.
- Trump and the Republicans lose control of Senate in Mid-Term elections undermining Trump's agenda but Democrats do their best to implement much of it anyway.
- Putin becomes President for life with 103% of the vote.