Sat Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:30:30 PM EST
Attack happened on day the Arab community celebrated Saudi National Day. Last year I was in the UAE.
Ahvaz National Resistance claims deadly attack on military parade in Iran | The National - UAE |
Dozens of people, including women and children, were killed in an attack on a military parade in southwestern Iran on Saturday.
The death toll of 25 was expected to rise after gunmen attacked the parade in Khuzestan province on Saturday. More than 60 people were injured in the attack.
Almost half of the victims were members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp, state news agencies reported, making it one of the worst attacks ever on the elite force.
President Hassan Rouhani warned of a "crushing response".
Continued below the fold ...
"The response of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the smallest threat will be crushing", he said on his official website. "Those who give intelligence and propaganda support to these terrorists must answer for it."
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said he held a US ally in the region responsible.
Footage on social media showed soldiers and bystanders scattering as shooting broke out at the parade in Ahvaz marking the 38th anniversary of Iraq's 1980 invasion of Iran.
An anti-government Arab group, the Ahvaz National Resistance, was reported to have claimed responsibility for the attack. Two of the attackers were killed and two were arrested, the deputy governor said.
Yaghub Hur Totsari, spokesman for one of the two groups that identify themselves as the Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Ahvaz, said the Ahvaz National Resistance, an umbrella organisation of all armed movements, was behind the attack but did not specify which group.
Mr Totsari identified one of the assailants by the initials A.M., without elaborating.
○ Iran's Revolutionary Guards targeted in Ahvaz military parade| Al Jazeera - Qatar |
○ Iran's leader blames US allies for military parade attack | Ynet News - Israel |
○ Ahvaz terror attack extension of anti-Iran plots by US puppets in region: Leader Khamenei | PressTV Iran |
○ Trump launches explosive attack on Iran over Twitter - July 22, 2018
Related reading ...
○ Returning to Nixon's 'Twin Pillar's Policy' and Regional 'Gendarmes' by Oui @BooMan on Jan 3rd, 2015
○ Iran: Explosions, Ecstasy, and Elections by susanhu @EuroTrib on Jun 13th, 2005
○ Super-Duper Imminent Iran Invasion by DuctapeFatwa @BooMan on Apr 21st, 2005