May-June Open Thread

by Bernard Sun May 2nd, 2021 at 08:10:30 PM EST

No one is safe until everyone is safe.

Realistically SARS-CoV-2 is endemic across the bio-sphere and so will be around for a long, long, time.  So too the disease - Covid-19 - it causes.

by ATinNM on Tue May 4th, 2021 at 05:42:29 PM EST
Speak for yourself. I'm all right Jack, I've had the disease. And apparently I'll be about 900% safer once I've had one shot of any RNA vaccine.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Wed May 5th, 2021 at 02:57:16 PM EST
I'll probably need a third "booster" shot with mRNA later this year, especially if new variants keep popping up: I'm on the AZ treadmill for now, but it is clearly perceived as the "inferior vaccine" throughout much of the EU, Union Jack or not.

mRNA companies claim it is easier and faster for their technology to cover a large range of variants, than traditional viral vector vaccines. No plans for that, though: nobody knows how long the vaccine protection will last; probably not any longer than a seasonal flu shot.

by Bernard on Wed May 5th, 2021 at 05:17:27 PM EST
I've been informed that I'll be authorised for one shot of vaccine mid July, three months after my initial infection. Hoping to be cleared for travel in August.

by eurogreen on Thu May 6th, 2021 at 10:25:02 AM EST
So far existing vaccines are effective against all known variants.

The out-of-control spread in India is the exact environment for the rise of new variants and so the emergence of strains the current vaccines cannot protect against.

by ATinNM on Fri May 7th, 2021 at 03:40:38 PM EST
by Cat on Sat May 8th, 2021 at 03:35:13 PM EST
Even if Bolsonaro and Modi had the brains to institute lockdowns, which they don't, there's no way to enforce it.  Cops in the slums of India and Brazil make the US police look like paragons of virtue.  And the people in the slums have to do their daily hustle to eat or starve and they have no money for PPE if the PPE was available.  Which it isn't.

Realistically we're looking at tens if not hundreds of millions of deaths in the undeveloped countries.  Plus decades of sequelae from major organ dysfunctions.

by ATinNM on Sat May 8th, 2021 at 03:58:09 PM EST